Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering a Betta fish
04-09-2013, 04:48 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
Considering a Betta fish
Hi!

I have seen little Betta fish in the fish tank in pet store. I considered getting one. I have some questions though.

Does anyone have a Betta? Anyone have any experience in tank size / heating / filters / pumps?

So far, I am seeing no to pumps, yay to filter, or if in a small tank, then you can use live pants instead. Tank size, they say the fish can live in small space, but its not recommended. They need access to air as well. The only thing I am having issue with is the heater. My room temperature is a steady 73F, too cold?

I want one, but I would hate for a lil fishy to suffer because of my ideas!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2013, 07:36 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Considering a Betta fish
You need a tank of at least 5 US gallons. A 10-gallon tank is better.
a filter
an adjustable heater
a water conditioner

All of these are mandatory if you want to keep a betta fish.

Plants will not be enough to take care of the ammonia produced by even a single betta fish unless you cover every square inch of a 30+ gallon tank with heavy vegetation. The filter works for the aquarium nitrogen cycle, there is no other way around it.

Betta is tropical fish, and their preferred temperature is 78F+. They need stable temperature, and only a heater can provide it unless you are 100% sure your room temperature is always 78F+ 365 days a year.

For beginner fish keeping guides, check these articles out.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM,
scotty Offline

Thanks for the reply! It is good to know, I have seen so many crazy things Googling Betta fish, it seems like on the whole these little guys have pretty crappy lives thanks to people using them as center pieces, and shoving them into vases. Which is why I was to separate fact from fiction and make sure I am informed before I go ahead a buy one. i know its just one little fish, but I would hate to see an animal suffer!
04-10-2013, 02:36 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
As much as pet fish overall have high mortality rate due to the lack of proper care, betta is probably one of the most abused fish species in aquarium trade. Many people mistakenly think a betta can live in a soup cup, without filtration nor heater. This is totally wrong. Yes, you see all the betta in small cups at pet stores. It is because the pet stores can nothing other than profit. Since two betta can't be in the same fish tank, it is not economical for them to have one setup for each betta. So they throw them into small cups and hopefully they can be sold before dying. Every time I go to pet stores, I see dead or near dead betta in those cups. It's no place for them.

As a tropical fish, betta need a heater. As with all fish, betta needs a filter system in their tanks to keep the aquarium nitrogen cycle going. Their tanks can't be too small either, since too small of a tank are likely have fluctuation in water temperature and water chemistry which can be deadly to any tropical fish.

With proper care, a betta can live up to 4~7 years.
04-10-2013, 03:22 AM,
scotty Offline

This is great information, I thank you guys very much! I think I will work out a new spot for a fish tank, and get my Betta hooked up with a proper tank and heater and pump. I saw the Bettas in the petstore, in tiny little plastic cups like you said. I really did not think something like that would be very healthy for them at all. They are beautiful fish.

Would you recommend this type of fish for me, or is their something else I could get?
05-27-2013, 12:27 PM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
Betta fish, commonly known as the "siamese fighting fish" were bred in Siam and Malaya in the 1800s as a fighting fish, similar to cock fighting or dog fighting and much money used to change hands on the outcome.
They prefer a warm 25-30 degree tank and can be kept in a mixed tropical tank with the likes of small tetras, neons,cardinals etc.. Anything that is likely to try to nip the tales of the male Betta should be excluded.
Only ever keep one male in the tank or fighting will result but a number of females and one male is no problem.
They are a bubble nest species and if you have a tank of placid quiet fish with some floating plants, broken bits of oxygenator will suffice, you may well get them to nest and spawn, although raising the young is difficult.
08-20-2013, 09:01 AM,
cpwebsite Offline

Threads: 1
Caring for Betta fish is often an underestimated chore. Many people do not care for their Betta fish properly as a result of seeing those little 'Betta bowls' or similar at the pet shop.

First, you should generally keep your Betta fish alone as a beginner to Betta fish keeping. Betta fish should be kept in a 5 gallon tank. They do not like fast moving water so try and get a filter that is no more than 50 gallons per hour.

After that they also need heated water. For a 5 gallon tank you need a 25 watt heater and should keep the tank at around 76 degrees.
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
(08-20-2013, 09:01 AM)cpwebsite Wrote: Caring for Betta fish is often an underestimated chore. Many people do not care for their Betta fish properly as a result of seeing those little 'Betta bowls' or similar at the pet shop.

First, you should generally keep your Betta fish alone as a beginner to Betta fish keeping. Betta fish should be kept in a 5 gallon tank. They do not like fast moving water so try and get a filter that is no more than 50 gallons per hour.

After that they also need heated water. For a 5 gallon tank you need a 25 watt heater and should keep the tank at around 76 degrees.

GPH ( Gallon per hour ) sometimes is irrelevant when you use the proper type of filter. If you use a sponge filter in a betta tank, it won't cause a lot of current.

As for the heater, the wattage is irrelevant. All heaters are designed to to automatically turn off as soon as the setting temperature has been reached.

P.S. Betta prefer higher than 76F water temperature. It is usually around 78~82F in their natural environment. Lower water temperature will lower their immune system.

Some of the non-adjustable heaters can only provide around 76F. So I recommend adjustable heaters instead and set the temperature to at least 78F+. Betta will in fact live longer and more healthier in slightly higher water temperature.
07-20-2014, 12:53 AM,
Treeca86 Offline

Threads: 2
Betas don't need filtration as they breathe air. One of the decorative bowls from the floral department at WalMart with the scallopped rim is a fine size, they don't get much bigger than that, but any size container is fine. Purchase aquarium rocks, or decorative pebbles from the floral or craft department is fine, and a small plastic aquarium plant is fine. Filtered water is fine, or purchase dechlorinator. Beta food is fed, 3 pellets once a day. Change water once a week. And ONLY ONE Beta per container, they are fighting fish.
My Mom and I have had over 100 at one point. They come in an array of species, and beautiful colours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 gallon fish tank fishless cycling Rmctighe 13 6,784 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: MalYoung1
  The ultimate fish tank ? ? Happyflowerlady 2 3,488 08-26-2020, 06:05 AM
Last Post: UnaTurner
  New fish died rather quickly Klyn80 7 2,392 03-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Klyn80
  New Fish Dies in established tank. sri1082 4 6,751 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Ram
  New fish died in a few hours Fishtastic 2 11,615 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
  Needing Advice on Dying fish jbmysinger 3 3,329 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Thor
Thumbs Down Tropical fish are dying! CaitlinD 1 2,894 12-13-2016, 04:47 PM
  Playing with fish lily_lover 3 4,869 10-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Whаt's а gооd frеshwаtеr fish fоr а bеginnеr tо hаvе а high dеnsity аquаrium? Tom1 0 2,359 08-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Best Fish for Beginners (Kids) CatCuddler57 8 5,695 08-26-2016, 10:49 PM
  Do you fast your aquarium fish? Ram 12 20,865 08-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Arowana or Dragon fish CatCuddler57 0 1,922 08-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Why did my fish die in 3 hours? (Fish bought from walmart) CatCuddler57 6 14,513 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
  What fish would you recommend for a beginner who wants an aquarium? maxen57 10 4,716 07-01-2016, 12:16 AM
  20 gal tank - good mix of community fish ? delta678 26 12,785 06-19-2016, 09:25 PM