LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your cat sleep in bed with you?
07-14-2015, 11:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM by niightwind.)
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
Does your cat sleep in bed with you?
Something I've found with cats is that you can't really designate an area for them to sleep in. You can put them there repeatedly and try to train them, but in the end most of the cats I've owned have chosen their own sleeping place, and most of the time that place is on my bed with me. I'm actually shocked that my girl, Scarlet, is able to sleep with me every night. I toss around so much and I've several times stretched out in the morning only to accidentally kick her. She never seems to mind though, and she always comes back to sleep there. It is her favorite place to sleep during the day, too. The only times she avoids it is when the dog jumps on on there wanting to annoy her. Her second favorite place is my desk chair at my computer, which she refuses to get out of unless I start sitting down on top of her. Tongue

Has your cat chosen your bed as their place? Do you let them or want them to sleep there, or did they just choose it of their own accord? If you don't let your cat sleep on your bed, what do you do to avoid them jumping up on there anyway?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2015, 01:53 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Does your cat sleep in bed with you?
Our cat is a bit of a "move everywhere" type when he sleeps. We'll go to bed with him by our feet, for instance, then he'll jump off and go to the living room for a while, come back a few hours later and want to be right up by our heads -- honestly it can be a little hard sometimes because he moves around so much that it wakes us up a fair bit.

We also have a dog and a baby in the house so all those wakeups can leave me feeling rather exhausted! Icon_eek

I don't have the heart though to just confine him to one small room or anything, I guess I'm kind of used to his antics by now - or at least as used to them as one can be!
07-23-2015, 02:13 PM,
thegrey Offline

My crazy cats sleep wherever they darn well please, because nothing I do will dissuade them from it. LOL I sleep on my side, and I have one (heavy) baby who climbs up onto my side while I'm asleep. He lays there, happily snoozing, until I wake up in agony under his weight! LOL I just push him down beside me, and he sleeps the rest of the night. I'm like, why couldn't just sleep beside me in the first place? Sheesh!
07-25-2015, 07:00 AM,
Susan Offline

Threads: 0
We.have two cats and they both like to sleep with us. Harley is a big cat. He weighs about 20 lbs. He likes to sleep on my pillow above my head and he purrs really loud. Our other cat, Merle, likes to crawl in between us and sleep there. I am always scared that one of us is going to roll on him but he doesn't seem too concerned. If we get anymore cats we will need to get a bigger bed.
06-04-2016, 04:49 PM,
CatCuddler57 Offline

Threads: 5
I've only had two cats allowed in my room when I sleep. My first cat Midnight,was probably the most spoiled. He would get to pick whether of not he would sleep in my room or not. Then he would either sleep on my rug or on my pillow next to me. He was a heavy cat so if he settle next to you, you couldn't move when you sleep. I never had to worry about accidentally rolling over my cat because I was a kid and he was huge. He wasn't overweight but he was a tomcat who got to roam outside when he wanted to.

The other cat I had that I allowed to sleep in my room was Tony. He was never allowed to sleep on my bed while I was sleeping because I'm a kicker and a roller. I was also a bit older, and I would kick or kill him if he was in my bed. So we had a special deal. During the day, he stayed off my desk and got to sleep on my bed. But at night, the floor, my seat, and the desk was his but he couldn't sleep on my bed. He understood this so he was allowed to sleep in my room. His brother never learned that and I could never allowed him into my room to sleep because he would sneak into my bed. Then I would walk up to a chest full of claws because I rolled over his tail or kicked him in my sleep. So outside of those two cats, all the others have to stay out of my room when I sleep, it's safer for them.
06-06-2016, 08:24 PM,
Novelangel Offline

My kitty has slept in bed with us since she was a tiny kitten. The first night I brought her home, she managed to climb the bedspread and has been sleeping there ever since. Unfortunately, as an adult cat, she has her own ideas about which way she should position herself, preferring to lie perpendicular to my husband and myself, rather than parallel. She stretches right out, taking up more than a third of the bed, and if I so much as gently nudge her with my leg or foot, she'll give me a sharp nip. Enough of those in a row and I'll lose my temper and remove her from the bed. She will stomp off, only to return in a few minutes to drape herself across my leg as if to say, "I forgive you, silly human." Then she'll sleep that way for a while before resuming her former position as queen of the Serta. She sleeps on the big bed during the day as well, even though she has a nice cat bed of her own, which she actually loves, but the big bed is preferable, since that's where the people sleep and cats are cuddlers despite themselves. We have a fan with a flat top, positioned at the foot of the bed that blows on us during hot summer nights, and she has a love/hate relationship with that thing. She hates having it blow on her and will do just about anything to avoid that stream of air, but she loves to curl up on top of it while it's turned on, because it vibrates her right to sleep. I enjoy my rest much more when she's either curled up on top of the fan, or cuddling my husband's leg all night. When she picks me, I get much less sleep because she tolerates less from me than she does from 'dad'. I've had cats my whole life and she is his very first. She recognizes that I know better than to kick her in my sleep and will bite me. He can do the same thing and she'll let it pass. What a little stinker-ette. Wink
06-07-2016, 02:01 AM,
heavymetalkilos Offline

We used to have a cat but she died couple of years back.. I remember her being a clingy one, even though it's not that common for cats to do so. She did come to the bed with me, just laid down with me, and when I was about to fall asleep she left to stay on her own place. It was funny - just like she was looking after me the whole time. The thing was that she only did that with me, not coming to bed with my mom or my step-dad. It was funny to me, but I think she got used to me the best since I was the one who looked after her the whole time.

Probably my cat was a rare one but I've heard one of my friends' cat has done the same since he was a little kitten - he just actually sleeps with her in the same bed! It's really cute because he comes up to sleep on her stomach, like warming her up. My friend told me that she moves a lot during the night but her cat is always moving away from her, not being bothered. It's so adorable!
06-07-2016, 02:30 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I have not slept in the same bed as my cat principally due to the fact that we were not conditioned in our childhood that its a normal thing to do. But finding a cat on my bed would not be an aberration since cats are clean animals and are not likely to defaecate on the bed unlike their some of their feline counterparts who are a bit weak in their response to the whims of nature. But there also concerns as to the fur blowing on our faces and precipitating asthmatic attacks (I could be overblowing the issue). But once in a while, pets do curl around on my bed and enjoy the light caress throughout the night. Some people have gotten used to sleeping with cats on their beds and there are mostly octogenarians who have a licevgme of pets behind them.
06-07-2016, 10:43 PM,
HillCritters Offline

Threads: 3
Yes, I've always enjoyed having my cats in the bed with me. I think their purring helps lull me to sleep. When I had them in the apartment with me, they all had their certain spots they would sleep at night. I would be on my side and one would be right in front of me so I could pet her, another one was either on my pillow or on my head, purring as loudly as he could. The other one was sometimes on the bed down by my legs or on top of the dresser where he could keep a good watch over everyone. He would sleep a lot during the day and I think he stayed awake most of the night. I guess he was being my protector while I slept.
06-08-2016, 09:58 AM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
There was a time when I didn't have any of my cats in bed with me because I found the cat hair to be itchy but, having lost a few cats that had been with me for many years, I now value every moment that I have with them, and some of my cats very much enjoyed sleeping in the bed with me. So now I simply change the sheets often.

Cutie, one of my 26 year-olds, doesn't spend the whole night with me but she always comes to bed with me, and likes to be there when I wake up in the morning. Actually, she likes me to wake up and stay with her for there for as long as I can in the morning. When I was married, she would sleep between us and push on my wife, trying to get her to move over. That was her passive-aggressive resistance to my marriage.

Despite the fact that I make several trips upstairs during the day, she seems to know when I am going to bed. Typically, I'll go upstairs and brush my teeth and stuff before going to bed. When I come out of the bathroom, she will be lying in my spot in bed waiting for me.

Ella, the younger one, will sleep between my feet, or on top of me, but she splits her time between me and my wife. Lydia, Cutie's sister, wants nothing to do with any of that stuff. She has her own bed, thank you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2016, 12:15 AM,
rz3300 Offline

This is yet another one where it really had depended on the cat, and my little guy right now will hop up and get his pets, but he never actually sleeps in the bed, which is probably for the best. I think it might be because of me, too, though. I tend to roll around and swing my arms and legs and he is probably scared I will shove him off, and for all I know I have done this before. My last car would frequently sleep in the bed, but usually on the end and not next to us. I bet that this is one area where it varies a lot with the people and their circumstance, but it is interesting to think about. Thanks for sharing.
08-26-2016, 11:25 PM,
Tom1 Offline

Threads: 1
My саt slееps in bеd with us. Vоmit hаs hаppеnеd оссаsiоnаlly, mеmоrаbly оn my pillоw, but thе mаin risk is bеing purrеd, pаwеd аnd miаоwеd аt.
I gеt up аt 6аm fоr wоrk. Unfоrtunаtеly my саt wаkеs up аt 5аm in аntiсipаtiоn оf his brеаkfаst. I thеn hаvе аn hоur оf bеing pаwеd аnd miаоwеd аt in аn inсrеаsingly lоud аnd pеrsistеnt mаnnеr. Frоm hеаring thе mеlаnсhоly, high-pitсhеd, sсrеесhy nоisеs hе mаkеs yоu wоuld think hе wаs stаrving but in fасt hе's оn thе сhubby sidе. 
Thеrе's аlsо thе risk thаt hе stеаls my pillоw. I hаvе wоkеn up mаny timеs tо find thаt hе's sоmеhоw dоnе this аnd my hеаd's bееn grаduаlly pushеd оff аnd lеft with thе mаttrеss. Yоu mаy wеll аsk, why lеt him slееp with yоu аnd undеrgо this tоrturе еvеry mоrning? Wеll, I'm а suсkеr, hе is vеry сutе, аnd I wоrry thаt hе'll gеt lоnеly slееping оn his оwn. Whеn wе hаvе triеd shutting him оut hе's spеnt thе whоlе night sсrаtсhing up thе dооr аnd саlling dеsоlаtеly tо us.
10-05-2016, 11:43 PM,
Loro Offline

I've never liked letting my pets sleep with me since my mom has always told me that it's harmful for our health, especially because of the dog and cat's hair, it's really dangerous and it also has a couple of bacterias that are deadly for the human body.
01-28-2017, 07:46 AM,
Sammie222 Offline
Registered

My female Siamese cat sleeps in my bed and we both feel uncomfortable and nervous if we have to be separate for some nights. Sometimes when my cat is at my mom's it's scared and miss me very much.
11-27-2020, 08:28 AM,
EmmaWilliam Offline

Threads: 1
my 2 cats sleep in bed with my husband  Smile
02-19-2021, 05:24 PM,
HemmyngsKylee Offline

Sometimes my cats sleep in my bed and then I don't feel alone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,088 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,341 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,674 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,606 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,930 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,897 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,297 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,343 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,408 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,823 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,523 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,545 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,579 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Declawing Your Cat CatCuddler57 1 3,224 08-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Last Post: rz3300