LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs deserve humane treatment too.
10-04-2012, 04:16 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Dogs deserve humane treatment too.
Recently, a pitbull puppy inside a black plastic bag was thrown out of a moving car. Fortunately, he's okay now.

A couple of months ago, a dog was found tied and hanging in a plastic bag outside of a car while it was travelling.

I have no idea where people get these crazy ideas. They should at least man up and surrender the dog to a shelter instead- or at the least leave it in a box beside the shelter if they want to keep their identity. Don't just throw them like trash. They're still living breathing beings, after all.Mad

Sorry for the rant. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 02:52 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Dogs deserve humane treatment too.
I can't believe this, oh wait I can. I have heard these types of horror stories about abandon dogs being treated badly. Its like you said if the person don't want the dog how about finding the dog a good home, with people who will love and take care of it. To me these people deserve to have criminal charges brought against them. After all they are man handling and mistreating a living creature. I remember when a litter of cats were dumped out of a speeding car right in front of my home, only a few of them survived. To me this is just beyond cruel, as I said if you don't want the pet, then find it a good home or give it to a shelter don't try to kill it or dump it like its garbage.
10-12-2012, 01:07 PM,
haopee Offline

(10-05-2012, 02:52 AM)pafjlh Wrote: I can't believe this, oh wait I can. I have heard these types of horror stories about abandon dogs being treated badly. Its like you said if the person don't want the dog how about finding the dog a good home, with people who will love and take care of it. To me these people deserve to have criminal charges brought against them. After all they are man handling and mistreating a living creature. I remember when a litter of cats were dumped out of a speeding car right in front of my home, only a few of them survived. To me this is just beyond cruel, as I said if you don't want the pet, then find it a good home or give it to a shelter don't try to kill it or dump it like its garbage.

Have you seen the puppy that was being hanged with a string by two teenage buys or the kitty that was being stepped on by hills for fetish? How do people get this ideas? There was also this news of a dog who was tied with G.I. wire around his snout and all over his body and left under a shrub for days. It's plain cruel.

Recently, a friend of mine went to donate some supplies in a kitty shelter and while they were waiting outside the shelter, there was a box. When the shelter's staff arrived (they were just about to open), she found out that the box was filled with kittens. The staff said, "At least, they brought them here to be taken care of". Fortunately, those kittens can possibly end up in a good home. What about others?
10-31-2012, 11:10 AM,
at4101 Offline

I personally think animal abusers should suffer the same consequences as someone who abuses another human. Unfortunately since animals can't talk they end up suffering needlessly at the hands of cruel people. I don't understand these people and never will. I can understand much more someone getting mad at another person for threatening them or being rude, but really, what can an animal do to deserve these acts?
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM,
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
It makes me sick to hear this as well. My pateranl grandmother, who I just heard stories about and rarely saw when I was younger, was the worst. She once took my father's beloved dog out into the woods, tied him to a tree and shot him in the head. Why did she do this you ask? Becasue he took down the clothes line that my grandmother had just hung clothes on. She also would tell my father to take any kittens his cat had just given birth to, put them in a sack with rocks and throw them in the lake. If he didn't do it, she'd take a whip to his behind. I am grateful I didn't get to know this women. I know she was my grandmother, but she was an awful, awful woman. I'm glad my father turned out to be better than her.
10-31-2012, 06:12 PM,
haopee Offline

(10-31-2012, 11:26 AM)sandooch Wrote: It makes me sick to hear this as well. My pateranl grandmother, who I just heard stories about and rarely saw when I was younger, was the worst. She once took my father's beloved dog out into the woods, tied him to a tree and shot him in the head. Why did she do this you ask? Becasue he took down the clothes line that my grandmother had just hung clothes on. She also would tell my father to take any kittens his cat had just given birth to, put them in a sack with rocks and throw them in the lake. If he didn't do it, she'd take a whip to his behind. I am grateful I didn't get to know this women. I know she was my grandmother, but she was an awful, awful woman. I'm glad my father turned out to be better than her.

Oh wow! That sounds seriously disturbing. I would have had myself disowned if I ended up with a family who treat dogs and cats that way. That's a really scary woman!

My family are passionate dog lovers. And if they did lack something, it would be the proper information and education on how to take care of them to prolong their lives. Yet, I am still fortunate that most of our dogs have lived a long and happy life.
11-01-2012, 12:43 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Threads: 10
And they wonder why pit bulls have a bad reputation. I personally am in love with pit bulls. I wish we could get one, but my husband won't let me. I cannot believe that someone would throw a dog out of a moving car. That is just so sad. Whoever does these things to these animals is really sick.
I don't understand why they just don't give the animal away. Did the animal cause you that much pain and stress that you felt that you have to be so cruel to them? It just makes me sad. Sad
11-01-2012, 04:13 AM,
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
I don't understand why these people just don't take the time to train their dogs to do what they want them to do. The feel that if they beat the dog for doing something wrong that they are teaching him/her a leasson. It isn't really that hard to train your dog to do the right thing, just a few minutes a day and some patience. If they claim they don't have the time to do it (really, who doesn't have an extra 10 minutes a day?), hire a professional to do it. More and more I think it just comes back to plain laziness. If this is the case, why get a dog in the first place?
11-23-2012, 02:05 AM,
pafjlh Offline

(10-12-2012, 01:07 PM)haopee Wrote: Have you seen the puppy that was being hanged with a string by two teenage buys or the kitty that was being stepped on by hills for fetish? How do people get this ideas? There was also this news of a dog who was tied with G.I. wire around his snout and all over his body and left under a shrub for days. It's plain cruel.

Well, my brother has confessed to throwing stray cats in a running arrogation ditch when he was kid. The only defense my brother was a tyrant as kid, and could never stand cats. I find all this sort of treatment horrible and unthinkable. If people don't want their pets then give them up to shelters, quit torturing them for kicks, that is sick.
11-23-2012, 02:44 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
I completely agree with you.

It's bad enough that people give away their dogs as if they're giving clothing to the poor or food to a shelter. We know someone who had his dog for seven years and just gave it to the first person he saw because he wanted to party all day and everyday and he didn't shed a tear.

It grinds my gears the way I see and hear people treat their dogs. It's awful in the summer when people constantly leave their pets in the car. It's also bad when people leave their pets outside in the cold or heat when they're doing their grocery shopping, drinking their Starbucks coffee or running errands.

We need to have more respect for all animals.
12-01-2012, 01:43 AM,
Molly Offline

Threads: 4
I think we live in a more humane world but then I hear these horrible stories about cruel ways of abandoning animals. It doesn't take much to take a dog to an animal shelter.

Years ago, we had a dog which grew bigger than we had the room for him, and we realized that we could not keep him. We put an ad in our local newspaper and found someone who could take our dog. He owned several acres of property and wanted a dog that he can take for walks on his property. Our dog needed more space than we could provide for him, so we knew our dog would be happier with this person than with us. It really isn't that difficult to find new, good homes for pets.
12-01-2012, 10:42 PM,
haopee Offline

(11-23-2012, 02:05 AM)pafjlh Wrote: Well, my brother has confessed to throwing stray cats in a running arrogation ditch when he was kid. The only defense my brother was a tyrant as kid, and could never stand cats. I find all this sort of treatment horrible and unthinkable. If people don't want their pets then give them up to shelters, quit torturing them for kicks, that is sick.

You mean something like this?

[Image: schrodingers2.JPG]

The guy was proud to blog about his activity and had the audacity to plead not guilty on the charge of animal cruelty. Then what in the world was he freaking doing?
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Haopee, we have had some similar cases in California recently. Right now the police are looking for someone who dumped a German Shepherd in it's crate at a local animal shelter during off hours. The dog was injured and sick. It had been wounded for some time and the wound had not been treated. It was so bad they had to put the dog to sleep.

I hope they catch whoever it was. They have them on surveillance video as there were cameras in front of the building. Hopefully, someone will recognize the person.
06-07-2013, 01:34 AM,
cliverederson Offline

Threads: 5
I'll go one step farther. I can't really even believe people can just give up their pets to a shelter or to adoption. I mean, I guess if the situation were dire, I could understand. I've heard of tons of situations where people are just like, "we have to give up our dog because we've got a baby on the way" or "we're moving to a place that doesn't allow dogs." Would you consider moving to a place that didn't allow your child? Do you even really care about your pet? I had a pet and looked for apartments, if they didn't allow dogs, I kept looking. Not having my dog with me is not an option.

As for how people can hurt animals, I'll never understand. I guess that's a bit hypocritical coming from a meat eater but ideally even if animals are used for livestock, I want them to have good lives and humane deaths. I'll never understand why people want to torture an innocent animal, but I guess some people are just sick in the head.
07-13-2013, 02:39 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

This is a really hard and disturbing subject to thing about. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't think that people are generally "good" at all. Individually, of course, there a lot of amazing and kind people, but generally as a race we don't harbor a lot of empathy. A lot of humans just want to be bigger and more important than someone and it's usually animals who end up as victims. There still aren't any good laws that protect animals, and people in all cultures are still generally thought that animals are just here for food and amusement. I'm still often surprised how people who seemed pretty kind and normal can treat their animals. They completely block from their brains that they are living beings too, and that they feel pain, hunger, cold, loneliness... And those are just average pet owners, I'm not even talking about serious animal molesters!
The only way to seriously change this is to educate people about animals and make stronger laws. It will be the same as with children rights, women rights, racism etc.
07-25-2013, 04:05 AM,
edimzy Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
A dog is a free being, doesn't need to study, doesn't need to waste its life working, doesn't need to have manner and get into political discussions or any of that crap. They just live, find happiness in the most natural ways, enjoy their lives. It's the humans who are all tangled up in a mass of stuff that, in the end, really doesn't count for much and we usually end up wondering why we aren't happy more often. I mean, you take a collar off your dog and he's gleeful, goes bouncing around and rolling and rubbing himself and he's just happy for that little thing. You take him out to the park or beach and let him run free and you can tell by his whole body language he is blissful. You don't see grown people like that. Don't take that away from dogs!
07-31-2013, 06:11 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
(07-13-2013, 02:39 AM)ReneLeBeau Wrote: This is a really hard and disturbing subject to thing about. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't think that people are generally "good" at all. Individually, of course, there a lot of amazing and kind people, but generally as a race we don't harbor a lot of empathy. A lot of humans just want to be bigger and more important than someone and it's usually animals who end up as victims. There still aren't any good laws that protect animals, and people in all cultures are still generally thought that animals are just here for food and amusement. I'm still often surprised how people who seemed pretty kind and normal can treat their animals. They completely block from their brains that they are living beings too, and that they feel pain, hunger, cold, loneliness... And those are just average pet owners, I'm not even talking about serious animal molesters!
The only way to seriously change this is to educate people about animals and make stronger laws. It will be the same as with children rights, women rights, racism etc.

Just making laws will not change much about the treatment of animals, any more than it has stopped cruelty to children, or women, to pass a law against it. The abuse has to end by enough people caring about their pets, and taking care of them, ad the ones that are not doing that, should have the animals removed, and they should be fined, and probably also spend time in jail.
08-20-2013, 04:54 AM,
Gavin Offline
Registered

I hate reading stuff like this. I can't imagine putting a puppy or a dog into a bad and tossing it out of the window. That's awful.

I do know of some terrible things that happened to some dogs here in our city. There were a bunch of dogs that were found dead and abused. A rescue group in the city was able to figure out who the people were somehow and let the police know. I hope that the same happens to anyone who really abuses a pet.
08-20-2013, 03:53 PM,
nonsiccus Offline

Threads: 0
That's really sad to hear and a pretty awful thing to do. The worst part was that terrible acts like that are totally preventable with proper education about spaying and neutering your pets. It's a responsible thing to do and it prevents tragedies like this from happening by controlling the canine population.

However, that all being said, there will always be the individuals out there who mistreat animals. They're the people who more than likely have some sort of psychological issue or problem and require lashing out or abusing animals to justify themselves. I know that some pounds will require some sort of adoption screening but ultimately they may be futile. I mean, if someone's going to abuse an animal, I don't think it'd be past them to lie on a self-filled survey. I just hope these people are apprehended and punished for this kind of behaviour.
08-20-2013, 08:58 PM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

(07-31-2013, 06:11 AM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: Just making laws will not change much about the treatment of animals, any more than it has stopped cruelty to children, or women, to pass a law against it. The abuse has to end by enough people caring about their pets, and taking care of them, ad the ones that are not doing that, should have the animals removed, and they should be fined, and probably also spend time in jail.

Of course, it has to be a good combination of strong laws and mass education about animal treatment. A lot of countries have very strong laws about animal abuse, but you can all anybody to enforce those law, most of the police won't come to deal with it. So, some education is direly needed. But again, education itself won't help without good laws. A big part of enforcing animal rights is just being able to report abuse. If just reporting abuse became a normal thing to do when witnessing it, adequate punishments would soon follow.
08-23-2013, 11:43 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
(06-06-2013, 11:59 AM)TreeClimber Wrote: Haopee, we have had some similar cases in California recently. Right now the police are looking for someone who dumped a German Shepherd in it's crate at a local animal shelter during off hours. The dog was injured and sick. It had been wounded for some time and the wound had not been treated. It was so bad they had to put the dog to sleep.

I hope they catch whoever it was. They have them on surveillance video as there were cameras in front of the building. Hopefully, someone will recognize the person.

Does that necessarily mean it was the person who harmed the dog? At least they brought it to an animal shelter to try and get it some help. Maybe the person was trying to rescue it from someone else who was abusing it. There have been times where I wanted to rescue a stray dog I'd see walking down the road, but I live in an apartment currently and pretty far from my immediate family, so I couldn't take it in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,397 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,935 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,604 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee