Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't want new fish to die
07-03-2015, 03:15 AM,
mercy Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Don't want new fish to die
So, my girlfriend just went out and bought two Siamese fighting fish, which are now swimming around in jars on my desk. After doing some research, I've discovered that they are not supposed to be kept in small containers, so I'm going out to buy a tank each for them.

I've never had fish before, and just from what I've read so far, it seems far more difficult than the pet shop would have you believe.

Each one is in 350ml (11oz?) of water from the store.

My questions are:
1) How long can they survive without the water being cleaned/changed?
2) What cheap measures (for the moment) can I take to keep the water clean
3) Would bottled water be ok for the short term (3-4 days)
4) Is there any glaringly obvious factor I'm missing?

I find the way people buy and sell fish so callously and without thought cruel, and I want to do my best to make sure these little guys are happy. Any answers are appreciated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 05:39 AM,
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Don't want new fish to die
As a beginner fish owner myself, I definitely agree with you; owning them is far more difficult than pet stores make it out to be. Thor is definitely the fish expert around here, so can probably help you out better than me, but based on what I know from research I've done, I'd say to be careful about using bottled water. I'm sure some bottled waters might be alright, but at least the bottled water where I live is not treated properly for anything but chlorine and is basically glorified tap water, and I think could end up being dangerous to use without treatment. I've read an article specifically on using bottled water here before which seems to suggest against bottled water as well.

For treating water, I use a water conditioner combined in regular tap water. The conditioner is very affordable at pet stores, and removes both chlorine and chloramine. Definitely a less expensive option than using bottled water, too. The one I use is Nutrafin. The pet store told me it works instantly, but I usually leave it in the water ready to change out for a few hours just to be safe anyway.

Now, I don't own Siamese fighting fish so I don't know their water needs compared to my goldfish, but water conditioner for fish is so inexpensive (at least from what I've seen) I think that using that is the best bet really.

Also, when getting your tank, I'm not sure if this is standard or not but it was recommended to me that I let the filter in the tank run with the water for a few days as preparation for the fish. The store here said that adding a fish to a new tank can lead to complications because the fish isn't used to the new environment, and "new tank syndrome" is an occurrence a lot of fish owners don't know about. I am not sure how accurate that info is, but best to be safe then sorry I'd say!
07-03-2015, 08:34 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
I've kept those before many times. I'm absolutely no expert in the matter, however.

I always kept mine in smaller bowls or small tanks designed for them rather than larger tanks. I did keep one in a larger aquarium once and it actually didn't fare well. Chaos (the fishie) stayed in one area and seemed very depressed most of them time and lived a very short little life.

There are small tanks designed for them available at most pet stores and even mass merchandisers like Walmart and Target.

I did find that using a water conditioner specific for those type of fish and a small light during the day made a huge difference on their general happiness and lifespan.
07-03-2015, 03:27 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Hi mercy, welcome to the forum! Welcome

First to answer your questions,
1. It should be days, weeks at most.
2. Get a 5 gallon fish tank, an aquarium filter, a heater, a thermometer, water conditioner, fish food. It will probably cost you up to $100 in total, but it is almost an one time investment. Afterward, you only need to restock water conditioner and fish food once in a long while.
3. Do not use bottled water. It might have different hardness and PH from your local water. Fish does not like large and quick changes in these readings. It can kill them. You need tap water used with aquarium water conditioner.
4. Unfortunately, a lot. Sad

These pet stores are never good at giving the right advices when it comes to take good care of your pets.

A. You need a real fish tank of proper size.
You need a minimal 5 gallon fish tank to keep stable water conditions. Preferable a 10 gallon. Without stable water temperature, PH, hardness, and other chemistries, the fish can be in shock easily and eventually die young.

B. You need a heater.
Betta fish is tropical fish. Unless you live in an tropical area, you must have an aquarium heater for them. The ideal temperature for them is around 78~80F. The lower the water temperature, the lower their immune system will be, and the less activity you will see. You will also need a separated thermometer to monitor the actual water temperature.

C. A filter system is a must for all aquariums.
It keeps up the aquarium nitrogen cycle, or your fish will die to ammonia poison soon enough.

D. You need aquarium water conditioner.
I prefer Prime.

E. You must learn the proper way for aquarium maintenance.
Never change all of the water at once. It can shock and even kill the fish.

F. Fish food and feeding routine.

Betta has a natural life span of 5~7 years. Some reported they have lived up to 10 or more years. Anything short of 5 years should be considered "died young" as a result of less than ideal conditions.

I highly recommend you to return one of the two betta fish. And keep only one (only if) you are up to create an ideal environment for it. Please do not be discouraged. Almost all of us had to learn it the hard way at some point. We were all newbies once. Tongue

Good luck! Smile

P.S. There are many less than professional advices out there. Please choose what you believe wisely. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2015, 04:48 PM,
mercy Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Thank you so much for all the advice. I was panicking for a bit. I'm gonna give my best for these little guys Smile
07-04-2015, 03:02 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
What is your plan, mercy? Smile Lets hear about it. We may be able to help further if we know what you are planning to do.
If you do not get a real fish tank for each of them, their chance of survival is slim.

Thor pretty much answered all your questions. I am not going to repeat them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 gallon fish tank fishless cycling Rmctighe 13 6,784 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: MalYoung1
  The ultimate fish tank ? ? Happyflowerlady 2 3,488 08-26-2020, 06:05 AM
Last Post: UnaTurner
  New fish died rather quickly Klyn80 7 2,393 03-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Klyn80
  New Fish Dies in established tank. sri1082 4 6,753 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Ram
  New fish died in a few hours Fishtastic 2 11,618 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
  Needing Advice on Dying fish jbmysinger 3 3,330 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Thor
Thumbs Down Tropical fish are dying! CaitlinD 1 2,895 12-13-2016, 04:47 PM
  Playing with fish lily_lover 3 4,869 10-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Whаt's а gооd frеshwаtеr fish fоr а bеginnеr tо hаvе а high dеnsity аquаrium? Tom1 0 2,359 08-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Best Fish for Beginners (Kids) CatCuddler57 8 5,696 08-26-2016, 10:49 PM
  Do you fast your aquarium fish? Ram 12 20,865 08-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Arowana or Dragon fish CatCuddler57 0 1,922 08-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Why did my fish die in 3 hours? (Fish bought from walmart) CatCuddler57 6 14,514 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
  What fish would you recommend for a beginner who wants an aquarium? maxen57 10 4,717 07-01-2016, 12:16 AM
  20 gal tank - good mix of community fish ? delta678 26 12,785 06-19-2016, 09:25 PM