LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where does your dog sleep?
09-22-2012, 01:42 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Where does your dog sleep?
I used to think it would be great to have a dog sleep up on the bed with me. Then, I took care of my sibling's dogs. Both sleep on the bed. It is sure uncomfortable!

My previous dog, a Lab, only liked to sleep on the bed when no one was in it. I guess people took up too much room. She preferred her dog bed with a blanket on top for comfort.

I don't let Misha sleep with me. She has a metal crate in my bedroom that she sleeps in. She has a bed and her favorite blanket which she loves sleeping under. She's usually all wrapped up in it at night. We're slowly graduating her to a bed only. I leave the crate door unlocked now. Soon, we'll leave it open to see how she does. She doesn't mind the crate, though. It's large for her and she prefers being inside something anyway.

Where does your dog sleep? Is it up on your bed, on a special dog bed, or outdoors?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2012, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM by sandooch.)
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Where does your dog sleep?
When I first got Gigi as a puppy, I had her sleep on a dog bed that I put up on a desk chair and pulled it over to our bed. I made sure she couldn't jump out of it, but I wanted her to feel close to me at night. At first, she would cry and try to jump on the bed to be with me and my husband, but I'd tell her, "No, go to sleep" and move her back to her own bed. After a few nights of this she got the idea. But that didn't stop her from jumping up there and snuggling with my husband if I tried to sneak out to use the restroom in the middle of the night. Unfortunately for her, she is cream colored and very easy to spot on our brown sheets, even in the dark. So I'd pick her up and say, "Nice try, missy." Then I'd put her back in her bed and say go to sleep, which she did.

But once she was big enough to jump on our bed from the floor, all bets were off. The first night she did this, it was like she knew exactly what I wanted to keep me happy that she was up there. She curled right up at the foot of the bed right in the middle, so as not to in the way of my huband and myself. She is a good sleeper, too, and doesn't hog the bed at all. And one more bonus to having her sleep with us is our 3 cats hate being up there when she's there. So we went from having 3 cats on our bed at night to one dog. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
09-23-2012, 07:22 AM,
Brook Offline

Threads: 2
Our dog sleeps at the foot of our bed. Most nights he stays there but sometimes he migrates up toward our pillows and we have to encourage him back down to the foot of the bed! When my husband is out of town, the dog sleeps on his pillow. I think it's so cute and I enjoy the company!
09-26-2012, 01:50 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Peanuts also loves to sleep on top of my bed when I'm not around. I'm not sure it were a great idea to have them sleep beside me either. I'm not fully cured of my asthma and when Peanuts shed, PEANUTS SHEDS. Vacuuming and coming her hair everyday wasn't enough. I'm pretty sure I needed a detangler and a shampoo just to minimize the wiry fur all over the bed room.

Chooey has her own dog house. So does Buchi and Rin. Whitey on the other hand prefers to be a nomad because he was the neighbor's dog back when they were still renting at my sister. Now, he sleeps near Chooey's dog house.

I'm currently not allowed to have dogs living inside the house which is disappointing but okay since they are together all day and I get to walk them and play with them a lot outdoors
09-27-2012, 07:57 AM,
nick87 Offline

Threads: 5
I tried allowing my dogs to sleep in my bed...but the little one constantly wakes up in the middle of the night to lick my face, and the big one tries to take up the entire bed. They have their own dog beds to sleep in now which they like, and that means I can get some sleep, too.
10-03-2012, 10:13 AM,
krazyk632 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I know how you feel when you say it's uncomfortable to sleep with dogs because I've slept with one for a night it was NOT pleasent. My dog sleeps in her cage (we call it her bed) because she is 6 months old, and if we didn't have her in the cage she would be chewing up everything. Once she gets old enough and knows not to bite the furniture then we will let her loose and let her sleep on her bed in the family room. I wouldn't reccomend letting your dog sleep with you because if you find it uncomfortable you shouldn't let a dog ruin your sleep. I hope you found this helpful!
10-04-2012, 03:55 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
My two dogs sleep outside, they have a dog house in which they can sleep in if they choose to. The two dogs we had before them were actually able to sleep in the house in our living room because they were better behaved. We would like to be able to do the same with Buddy and Oso especially in cold months, but so far they haven't learned how to settle down in the house at night.
10-05-2012, 03:29 PM,
SweSupy Offline
Registered

On the floor. Tried letting my dog sleep on my bed with me but I was not comfortable.
We both need some privacy! Smile
10-06-2012, 12:42 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
It seems like one of those dog owner fantasies. We dream of our faithful dog sleeping at the foot of the bed keeping us cozy. Only thing is they are bed hogs and always sleep in the wrong direction. Or, like Nick's problem, they decide they need to show you love in the middle of the night when you are sound asleep. That's what I worry Misha would do. Well, she probably would jump on my stomach and demand that I scratch her neck. LOL
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM,
bellahpereira Offline

Threads: 3
My dog sleeps in my room, on my bed. He has his own bed - actually, he has 2. But he doesn't seem to enjoy them. I'm not sure if it's a dog thing or just his personality, but he hates sleeping on his bed. I think he thinks they are just over-sizes toys because he tried to throw them around from time to time. Does anyone else's dog think their beds are toys?
12-06-2012, 10:47 PM,
cutepickles Offline
Registered

I also always wanted to sleep with my dog, we always had a dog or two when I was a kid and my mom never allowed them on beds. But our first dog is a weimaraner she was 6 when we got her and the previous owners did sleep with her but she is a total bed hog. She likes to sleep sprawled out in the very center of the bed. My husband and I decided to stop trying to sleep with her when we realized we were giving eachother silent signals and trying to get to bed before her because she'd go jump in the middle before we could even get in. So we got her a crate but she wasn't used to it and would whine and fuss all night long not softly very loudly. We put her crate out in the dining room not that far away from our bed and she was so loud for months. I took her years to adjust to crate training and to be honest it was hell for me. First we used a wire crate and she did seem better when we switched to the plastic kind. Now she's been sleeping in her crate in a room near the bedroom but she bangs around all night and makes the most horrible noises ever. I debate about leaving her out at night but its hard to decide. We also got another dog a little over a year ago and she is more submissive but she'll sneak away and poop in my kids room way down the hallway. for that reason she is crated. I don't know how to tell when she is safe to leave out and also debate about either leashing her near my bed or moving her crate in my bedroom. I guess the main thing is with the two dogs I feel like I should do something similar with them both so thats why now they are both crated in my office. The thing is just all the banging around and also occasionally my younger dog will have an accident and she never barks or whines before just after it seems like and it seems like it only happens at the worst possible times like when we have company or when I'm exhausted and then I find out in the morning and can't tell what the heck I should have done.
12-07-2012, 01:17 AM,
Molly Offline

Threads: 4
My two dogs each sleep in their own crates. My hubby and I won't get any sleep if they sleep in our bed. And two is company in our bed. To add two dogs is just too much. We take them out just before we put them in their crates for the night. We put their crates in our bedroom when we all go to bed. So, they know the bedtime routine, which includes our dogs. It helps us all settle down for the night.
12-07-2012, 01:19 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

Threads: 10
My dog thinks he owns the house. He usually sleeps on the couch, on his back all spread out. It's the funniest thing. But, when he wants to hide from the kids and sleep, he goes to his kennel. I have a fat, squishy, pillow in there for him to lay on. We don't let pets sleep with us in bed. I have never been one who could stand that. I did try it years ago when we first got our cats. But, the first time I woke up with a cat on my head, was the last time I let an animal sleep on my bed. lol
12-07-2012, 01:36 AM,
maddie Offline

She sleeps on her bed. Or under my bed. Somehow she will never sleep any where else. She has been trained not to jump on the couch or on our beds,, even if the children put her on their beds she will jump off and refuse to sleep with them.
She likes her bed to be clean or will scratch it out .. trying to make it clean. Her stuffed rabbit is her pillow.
12-07-2012, 05:57 AM,
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
When we first got Roman (at the age of 6), he was trained to only be on special dog beds around the house. We were given at least 3-4. A couple downstairs, one upstairs and then one outside. After a few months with him, we noticed how cuddly he was and decided that it wouldn't hurt to have him on our beds. It took some time to have him get used to breaking his prior rules, but he did and to this day he loves it.

I will agree that it is really uncomfortable to sleep with a dog; especially on a twin size bed. But it's worth every minute. Plus, during the winter, it's a lovely free heater! To this day (at the age of 14, soon to be 15), he sleeps on our beds and couches.
12-07-2012, 07:28 PM,
themdno Offline

I have two dogs, a little one and a big one. The big one doesn't like sleeping in the bed when other people or dogs are in it, I guess he needs his room. He'll sleep in the hallway or the living room, on the couch.

My little dog always sleeps in the bed with me. She can be annoying, because she'll get right up against me, or lay on top of me. But, I love it, I wouldn't have it any other way.
12-09-2012, 07:33 AM,
dhrynio Offline

Threads: 5
When our German Shepherd was alive they both slept in our heated entryway on dog beds. But now it is just Zoe and she somehow has managed to make her way into our bedroom and sleep on the persian rug at the end of our bed! It must be because she is so darned cute and soft. In the monring I let her into my daughters room and she wakes her up. If I wake my daughter up she is a crab and a half, but if the dog does it after 5 minutes she and the dog come out with smiles on their faces!
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM,
shihtzuandme Offline
Registered

Our dog sleeps wherever we place his doggie bed, which is usually in the living room. Sometimes we let him sleep in our bedroom, but still in his own doggie bed. He's small so we prefer that he sleeps in his own bed, we're scared we might accidentally squish him if he sleeps with us. :0
12-19-2012, 04:42 PM,
SweetBeast Offline

Bobbi loves sleeping on the bed, usually up against me & I love it, as does she! But I rarely sleep more than a few hours - thanks to insomnia - but she doesn't keep me awake when I do sleep. I am usually up before 6 & she is still in bed after I shower & shave, then all I need do is show her my shoes, & she's up & ready to go!
01-06-2013, 06:01 AM,
Lisa D.B. Taylor Offline
Registered

Our three larger dogs sleep in a heated dog house in our garage. Our small "inside dog" sleeps in a cat cube (don't tell her it's for cats! lol) It's warm and cozy and she loves it.
Of course sometimes she sleeps in *my* smushy chair, and during her daily naptimes she's always to be found in the large bean bag. :-)
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM,
mz_angie1987 Offline

Unfortunately, I do not have a dog anymore or any pets. I plan to purchase a dog very soon. Once I have a dog, he or she will sleep in their own room and on their bed. I've never liked the idea of sleeping on the same bed as my dog. I've always had very energetic animals and they love to lick and run around. Hence, it will be extremely uncomfortable and I won't be able to sleep but if you don't mind the movement, I'd say go for it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,781 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,163 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,693 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,138 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,312 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,186 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,476 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,729 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,322 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,111 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,574 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,800 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,434 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,900 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,486 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady