LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guard dog
05-19-2016, 05:27 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
Guard dog
When I was young, we had several dogs at home. I was not into dogs yet and I was raised in seeing a dog as a guard of the house. It is always tied by the gate so when a stranger comes, the dog would bark and let us know. But when I owned a dog and learned to love it as a pet, I realized that a dog owner should be responsible enough to care for the dog and not to treat it as a security guard. I agree that a dog's bark is a deterrent for thieves but it is not good to let the dog stay by the gate especially if there is no roof.

The case of dogs acting as guards is prevalent in our village because thievery is rampant. Homeowners are forced to buy a dog to post in their doorway as guards. In worst cases, the dogs are tied outside the gate, just by the road's curb whether the sun is hot or it is raining. Poor dogs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2016, 08:58 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
RE: Guard dog
The same case applies to my place. Guard dogs are placed on a tight leash near the gate to act as a deterrent against thieves. This places the dogs in mortal danger as when thieves strike, they are usually the first target. Many dog owners have come round this by keeping large numbers of dogs in the compound making the homestead virtually impregnable. Some thieves have upped their ante and give the dogs poisoned pieces of meat to paralyse them so that they can accomplish their evil mission and I believe some have used Vallium in this regard. There is also a case where a guard dog was stolen and was recovered quite a distance away from his home. In some countries, people are forced to guard their dogs instead of the dogs guarding them. But give it to K9 dogs with regard to guarding duties. But personally, I would prefer sniffer dogs to cat as sentries to detect any intrusions from the safety of their kennels.
05-19-2016, 09:21 PM,
pwarbi Offline

Threads: 0
Guard dogs have been used for many years to protect alsorts of properties. The main reason they are there is to act as a deterrent more than anything else and any potential burgler is going to opt to try and break in to a property that's unguarded rather than the one with the alsations patrolling outside. If a break in does occur, then rather than the dogs being there to attack the intruders, I think they're there more as a source of noise and its that what will draw attention to what's going on.

With technology advancing as fast as it is these days, and with nearly all businesses having alarms and CCTV operating, maybe soon we will see the guard dog not being used as much, but in a residential property, they're still a good deterrent to have. If your family pet is also protecting your home and family, and you're making sure you look after them properly, then I don't see that there's anything wrong with that.
05-21-2016, 10:10 AM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
We've also had a few guard dogs before. Back when I was still in grade school, animal rights hasn't been passed. Dogs were practically tied anywhere and they are considered as a food source just like in China. Back then, any kind of cruelty cannot send an owner to jail and people can pretty much just abandon their dogs and let them roam the streets. People see dogs as something that can only be of use to them, such as a guard dog. But even guard dogs weren't always treated with care. I've a lot left in cages often too small in a dirty area where they can easily pick up diseases.

It was so different today because animal rights have already caught up in the country. We only have less than ten shelters scattered all over but vets are everywhere. Guard dogs are treated better and so were domesticated animals. Looking back then sometimes makes me feel sad but we can all look forward for tomorrow as our furry friends keep getting what they need from now on.
05-31-2016, 02:44 PM,
CatCuddler57 Offline

Threads: 5
It annoys me when people used guard dogs like that. You would probably be better protected if you simply trained the guard dog where it is suppose to be without a leash. I've trained many dogs that they can't go past the sidewalk or road without a family member, so there is no reason to keep a dog constantly on a leash unless they will run away. At that point, can you depend on a dog to protect you if it's not loyal enough to stay by your side. The best guard dogs are the loyal pets that view you as pack, as family, and who love you. Because they will do whatever it takes to keep you safe.
07-01-2016, 10:45 AM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
The car mechanic in the other block who gave us Pipoy, our 4-year old pug, has many dogs because he uses those dogs to stand guard for the cars that he repairs in the vacant lot beside their house. But one dog is tied to a post near the car and another is inside a cage which is also there in the vacant lot.Can you imagine the suffering of those dogs when the sun rises and heats up the place? You may not believe but we see those dogs to be replaced after a few months. The first one we noticed in the cage was a big Golden Retriever that was replaced by a mixed breed and then by a spitz. And why the replacement? Obviously the dogs die due to the bad living condition. We just cannot report it to the concerned authorities because the mechanic is a friend.
07-09-2016, 07:45 AM,
joshposh Offline

Threads: 2
(05-19-2016, 05:27 PM)Corzhens Wrote: When I was young, we had several dogs at home. I was not into dogs yet and I was raised in seeing a dog as a guard of the house. It is always tied by the gate so when a stranger comes, the dog would bark and let us know. But when I owned a dog and learned to love it as a pet, I realized that a dog owner should be responsible enough to care for the dog and not to treat it as a security guard. I agree that a dog's bark is a deterrent for thieves but it is not good to let the dog stay by the gate especially if there is no roof.

The case of dogs acting as guards is prevalent in our village because thievery is rampant. Homeowners are forced to buy a dog to post in their doorway as guards. In worst cases, the dogs are tied outside the gate, just by the road's curb whether the sun is hot or it is raining. Poor dogs.

I know what you mean and see it everyday.  In the United States those owners would be charged with animal cruelty and neglect.  You are not suppose to treat your dog that way.  They have feelings too and being tied in the sun and rain with nowhere to move and run is cruelty.  I blame the dog owners, and I also blame the society that we live in for allowing such measures of cruelty.

To them a dog has no meaning in life but the ones the owner set for them.  If they wanted the dog for a door bell then the local government accepts it.  I'm bewildered by that everyday.
01-13-2019, 10:12 PM,
pooch495 Offline

Threads: 0
Dogs that aren't trained guard dogs should be kept inside. That way they can't be poisoned or killed. These dogs typically are taught not to take food from strangers. Smaller dogs can be great watchdogs barking to alert, but as long as they are kept safe and sound in the house.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,782 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,164 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,693 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,140 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,312 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,186 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,478 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,730 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,322 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,111 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,800 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,434 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,900 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,486 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Is There A Good Shampoo For A Stinky, Itchy Dog? HillCritters 5 3,916 07-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: TheaR