Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I make new cat love me?!
02-25-2014, 05:14 PM,
Dera Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Sad  How can I make new cat love me?!
Please, I need your advice on this. My cat is a 3 month traditional persian, she's a cutie <3 but I don't think she like me yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2014, 02:04 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: How can I make new cat love me?!
How long have you had your cat?
If you have only had her for a very short period, there is nothing to worry about. Just do your usual things, feed her, give her water, provide her with toys, etc. Let her know you are doing these things for her well being. She will eventually get it if not right away. Giving her a little treat when she is hungry might also do the trick. Tongue

Personally, even when I am a total stranger to the cats, most of them will become warm toward me quickly when I pet them gently. You should also give it a try. Don't try to hold your cat by force when she doesn't want to, it will only alienate her. Use treats to lure her to you, then pet her. She will start to like you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2014, 03:50 PM,
dodgenose Offline

Our Mr. Dart here, a ragdoll is a loner cat and seemed spending most of his time on the window to watch the world goes by outside. He's 7 now and rarely seek attention but he used to be a sweet and playful kitty when we got him at 3 months old. Your kitty may not become as sweet as you wanted but feeding and constant playing with her would make her closer to you.
02-26-2014, 06:30 PM,
emilyrose93 Offline

Do you know what her situation was before she came to you? Maybe she hasn't been exposed to humans much. It's less likely that she doesn't like you and more likely that she is a bit scared of you!

Be calm around her. Don't force her to spend time with you. Just love her! And the more you do and the more she gets to know you, the better it will be. Give her yummy food and treats, a comfy bed, and a relaxing environment.

The alternative is that she might just not be the worlds most affectionate cat. I have two cats with quite different personalities. Minnie is very needy and always wants attention and cuddles, whereas Snookie is a bit more stand off-ish and looks after yourself. But often at night she will curl up by my feet in bed, and that's how I know she loves me.
03-06-2014, 11:28 AM,
millshre Offline

Threads: 2
I agree with the above comments, let her come to you. I remember when I was younger I would get upset when a cat would go to my dad or grandpa instead of me. I would try and give them so much attention and love and affection and they would instead go to my grandpa who would just sit quietly and wait for them to come to him. I learned that sometimes pets, especially cats, can get a little overwhelmed by too much...affection. Remember the character Elmyra(?) from Tiny Toons? That's how I picture it, lol.
03-07-2014, 05:27 PM,
wander_n_wonder Offline

Threads: 0
One thing I noticed with cats is that they can easily get startled. If you keep on startling them, they will tend to remember that and they will shy away from you. I have that experience with my 2 cats at first. I would usually park my car beside their cage and when I shut my car door, they will really get startled. When I approach them, they would make a scared sound and avoid me completely. There was even a time that they almost scratched me because they were just so scared. They would always associate me to that loud car door sound that's why they're scared. In other words, to get them to like you, you really need to be very gentle to them. You should be sensitive enough to stop those actions that cause them to get startled. When I noticed that my car door is the reason for their reaction towards me, I moved their cage to a more peaceful location. After doing that, I would usually play with them there and give them treats. Eventually, they started to approach me and when I carry them, I would hear that lovely purring sound which indicates they are happy.
03-21-2014, 09:29 AM,
Fdot Offline
Registered

Threads: 2
In all honesty, you have nothing to worry about. As mentioned, it really is a matter of time, as long as you cater for its basic needs (food, water, the occasional cuddle). In the long term she'll love you for sure, but in the short term you need to make sure you do not make any sudden movements. Sudden movements scare kittens, so if you're going to approach it, ensure you move really slowly and be extremely gentle. Millshre makes a good point too; sometimes you can try too hard to be affectionate, when the cat really needs space as much as you do. So in general just remember there's no rush, just let the cat grow to like you, because she will I guarantee it.
04-04-2014, 12:32 AM,
skywatcher Offline

Threads: 0
I really think there's nothing to worry about. I really do believe you should just take your time and go on with your regular things. It really takes a lot of time for us owners to get close with our pets, so I really think she'll get to the point where she'll show you that she loves you and will cuddle with you, but I guess before that you should really wait.

It took me about a year to get my cat to approach me just to sleep beside me, haha!
04-06-2014, 06:09 AM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
Your cat will come to love you on its own time and even then it might not directly show your affection. Once it starts doing things like sitting in your lap or wanting to "make biscuits" on you, like my cat does, then thats an indicator your cat loves you. Some kitties have sweeter dispositions than others while others are more "tough love". I've had cats that would lick my face clean while I tried to sleep and I've had some that would chase, attack and gnaw on my food, like they hated me but would always want to come into my room late at night to "make biscuits" and get comfy when no one was around.
04-19-2014, 01:39 PM,
Meowmie Offline

Threads: 4
I can't disagree with anything that has been said here. Cats in general tend to go to the person that is ignoring them. They like things in their terms and on their time. Don't push her.

One other thing you might try that hasn't been mentioned is play. Cats love to play. None of my cats cared for the squeaky toys, but a mouse stuffed with catnip, and some things on poles for them to chase, or even a string that you drag behind you should create a chance for interaction.

Don't be surprised if your cats never sit on your lap. I have had 4 Persians and many American short hairs over my life. The short haired cat's thought I was a piece of furniture. None of my Persians will sit on my lap. they actually seem to act as if they think it would be an insult to step on me.

One more thing about the string. Never leave it where you kitten can get it unsupervised. Cats have barbs on their tongues for grooming, and if they get it in their mouths they will be unable to do anything but continue to swallow it. Which will likely end up in an expensive trip to the vet, quite possible with surgery.

Keep in mind that people don't own cats, rather cats have humans to care for them. Best of luck, and please, keep us updated!
05-01-2014, 07:59 AM,
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
What everyone has already said pretty much sums it all up.

Coming from some one who has raised and taken in feral cats for her entire life, the biggest thing you can do is go slow with them. Sometimes, it's just the very basic fact that they're just not used to you yet. My own cats would hide and run away from my step-mother, but after having her around continually for months, they warmed right up to her. Just go slow, don't try to rush or force your kitty into "liking" you. Some cats don't need as much attention and psychical affection as other cats. I only see my baby when it's time for bed, and he comes up and cuddles with me. That's the only time. Also, she's 3 months, so shes just an itty bitty baby still. I'm sure she'll warm up to you eventually. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,074 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,337 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,668 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,602 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,929 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,891 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,402 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,292 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,338 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,400 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,819 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,522 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,540 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,577 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant