LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good is your dog food really ?
03-02-2015, 01:05 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
How good is your dog food really ?
All of the pet food advertisements would have us believing that their dog food is the best, or at least a very healthy dog food blend. Now, the latest information says that Purina Beneful has been poisoning and killing dogs. Hopefully, we are not in the same kind of situation as we had a few years back, when melamine from China was inadvertantly added to a common supplement that is put in foods (both human and pet foods), and so many people lost their pets due to toxic foods.
I just discovered a website that is not put out by any of the dog food manufacturers, and you can do a search for your brand of dog food and see how it is rated, plus, you can see which brands are the top rated dog foods.

http://dogfoodanalysis.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2016, 07:08 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
RE: How good is your dog food really ?
I used to check on the dog food when our dogs were puppies - we were given 2 puppies, born one week apart, 1 by our car mechanic and the other by our lady vet. Since the puppies were being fed dog food so we had no choice but to continue. Pedigree was the brand that we inherited and based on the survey I had read, it is quite a good brand.

But when the puppies were 5 months old (not sure, it may be 4 or even 6 months), we shifted to cooked food. My husband doesn't like dog food because of the availability, besides it is obvious that the puppies didn't have that much appetite for dog food unlike the cooked food where they are salivating. As long as there are no harmful ingredients in the cooked food, it can be considered good for the dog.
06-23-2016, 12:51 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I totally agree with you, Corzhens, and we usually feed regular cooked food to our dogs, and I know that many people are starting to do that now.
A few years back, so many dogs died from the tainted dog food which had an ingredient from China that was in one of the added vitamins put into dog foods, and after that , people stopped trusting the dog food manufacturers.
More and more products are being imported from China, and they do not have strict manufacturing rules like other countries have, so there seems to be a continuing trend of dog treats or some dog food that has to have a recall for one reason or another.

My belief is that dog food is not necessary if the dogs are getting a nutritional diet. Dog food itself has only been around for about the last 100 years, and before that , dogs and cats survived on what they scrounged and the table scraps that they were beinng fed, and they did just fine.
Most people lived in rural areas, or even in town, they grew a garden, and produced most of their own vegetables.
As industry advanced and more people moved into large cities to work, food manufacturing became a productive industry, and people bought their food rather than growing it themselves.
Naturally, there were leftovers and scraps; so that is when the food companies started making dog food from these leftovers from the food canning process.
Now, they have most people convinced that your dog or cat is not going to be healthy if they ar not fed commmercial dog food.
I think that if dogs and cats could survive without canned dog food for all of these thousands of years, then it can't be all that important for them to have it in their diet.
11-03-2017, 12:22 AM,
Samilly Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
My husband gave me two beautiful toy poodles for my birthday. I bought them a special food, which my veterinarian advised me. But Chakky didn't like it, Matilda also didn't eat with pleasure. I often read different articles on the Internet about poodles (this is my favorite breed, they are so cute and playful), I found interesting information how to prepare a useful food for dogs at home, here http://mypoodle.info/feeding/home-cooking/. I can say that this is really the best meal for many dogs! All the products I buy on the market, the meat is fresh and healthy.
05-16-2019, 10:34 PM,
CodyCobey Offline

Threads: 1
It's a really difficult question because, at the beginning of this year, it came into my knowledge that Hill's Canned food has recalled by the FDA due to elevated vitamin D levels. Later, I also found that frozen pet food of Thogersen Family Farm also Listeria monocytogenes that can cause fetal infection in pets. Undecided  You can also see here the dog food brands that have never recalled by FDA https://ourfitpets.com/health/nutrition/...d-recalls/. However, I am not sure that which company would be recalled due to poor pet food quality; that's why I decided to cook food my dog at home. If you know some excellent recipes, then please share with me. 

Here, you can see the Hill's pet food that recalled recently.

[Image: Hills-Pet-Food-Recall.jpg]
10-24-2019, 11:50 AM,
justlexi93 Offline
Registered

If Lake can finish his food then that only means that it is good. I do made a couple of research so that I can identify which pet supplies are best for my dog including the food.
03-25-2020, 11:06 PM,
chenbao Offline
Registered

My wife manages a specialty pet food store, she's been told that for the time being that yes they are essential. They've closed their dog baths and aren't doing any grooming/nail trimming and are highly encouraging people to call in and do curb side pickup rather than come in the store.
https://www.petsdirectstores.com/
As much as I hate the fact she's still working right now I am glad they're still open as one of our dogs has fairly severe stomach issues and can only eat certain foods which just cannot be found at grocery stores.
08-20-2020, 04:24 PM,
Valentin01 Offline

Too much personal advertising right here.

Pedigree is the best one for my dog.
09-21-2020, 10:46 PM,
NicholasWatson Offline

I buy really expensive one.. Want to my to my dog all bests
11-28-2020, 08:46 AM,
EmmaWilliam Offline

i feed my pets raw food (beef/chicken meat and liver with eggs and squash or potatoes/carrots
07-07-2022, 07:23 PM,
Busbyx Offline

Craving raw veggies is completely normal for cats. However, too many vegetables could cause your cat digestive upset. Most often it's diarrhea, but in rare cases could be vomit as well. According to the https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-cat-fo...-diarrhea/ article, if the symptom is a one-time problem, you shouldn't be worried. But if it's a constant symptom, it can implicate a more serious condition. So I'd advise you to watch your cat's diet, and even better to consult a vet.
07-09-2022, 07:24 PM,
an_an_an77 Offline

I always buy kinpurpetcare chews for my pets, what about food - I cook for them

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazing Dog Mom haopee 9 4,722 01-02-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: westpaodorpros
  A Pet reptile was used as guard "dog" Thor 18 8,883 05-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Last Post: CodyCobey
  Dog breastfeeds kid remnant 6 4,926 06-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Dog meat Corzhens 2 2,642 05-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  K-9 Police dog saves liive of fellow officer . Happyflowerlady 5 3,894 05-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  Camping with your dog. Happyflowerlady 3 3,118 05-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Dog reunited with owner a year later ! Happyflowerlady 1 2,907 04-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Last Post: BobCat
  Metal Fragments Found by U.S. FDA on Some Pedigree® Dog Food Bags Snowflakes 2 3,230 10-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Jiff, the Fastest Dog in the Planet Walking on Two Paws Snowflakes 0 2,245 08-30-2014, 05:25 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Dog brings Trooper to house fire. Happyflowerlady 2 2,852 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Salmonella in dog food recall. Happyflowerlady 0 2,313 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  Is the expensive dog food really any better for your dog's health ?? Happyflowerlady 0 2,537 05-02-2014, 06:42 AM
  Police shoot 75 year old grandmothers dog ! Happyflowerlady 5 3,097 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Exclamation Avoid Waggin Train dog treats and others from China - They're poisoning dogs! nick87 3 3,715 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Bug Dog Treats Recall:Boots and Barkley again haopee 4 4,621 03-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Last Post: kindredsoul