LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hard is it to add to your family of pets?
02-16-2013, 12:40 AM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
How hard is it to add to your family of pets?
We have a few pets already and are wondering about adding. The issue is that most of our pets are getting older and wonder if bringing a new pet would make them upset.
We are not for sure going to do this but this is why I am asking ahead of time.
Do pets seem to adjust ok? Can you bring home a pet and see how it goes before you commit?

What have your results been with older dogs and cats and bringing in a new pet?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2013, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 10:56 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: How hard is it to add to your family of pets?
It really depends on your existing pets. There is really no telling how they will react since every one of them can be different.

Some species of pets aren't exactly territorial or aggressive.
What are your current pets anyway?

Did you get all your existing pets all at once? If you introduced them into your family one by one, did they have the history of disliking the new comers? If not, I very much doubt they will start to acting rude now when they are older. Usually the younger pets have worse attitude. Old pets are usually more timid.

You can certainly try to introduce a new pet by bringing it home for a day and check out the reactions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
I agree with Ram.

Sometimes older animals like the companionship of new younger pets and other times they get jealous or get irrated by the newer ones wanting to play.

Older animals usually think you belong to them and often can get mean or rough with newer pets, or may become sad and depressed when a new pet arrives.

It would be better to try one at a time to see how your current pets behave.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2015, 03:01 AM,
CRM31 Offline

Threads: 2
It definitely depends on the combination of pets you're going for. Our dog was so jealous of a new baby that he went to live with my grandparents - obviously we couldn't get rid of my baby sister! But I've had cats behave in all sorts of ways - our old tom cat (neutered) took to the pregnant stray we took in and would curl up with her, but was terrified of her kittens. Meanwhile an elderly female cat we had never really learned to like the stray, they tolerate each other but won't cuddle or get too close together.

I did know someone who took her pet rabbit to the shelter to "choose" a new friend when her original companion died and it seemed to work really well! They came home with the fanciest looking long haired albino rabbit, I do wonder if her bunny chose based on looks Wink
03-16-2016, 03:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016, 04:04 AM by remnant.)
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I have noted that unlike we humans, pets have no sibling rivalry. At least not in the majority of cases. I have had the opportunity to add a puppy to replace a dead pet. The most recent replacement tool place a few months ago. I bought a puppy and released him in the compound and I couldn't help noticing the aging resident dog develop an air of quiet reassurance at the arrival of the playful visitor.

I have noted that unlike we humans, pets have no sibling rivalry. At least not in the majority of cases. I have had the opportunity to add a puppy to replace a dead pet. The most recent replacement tool place a few months ago. I bought a puppy and released him in the compound and I couldn't help noticing the aging resident dog develop an air of quiet reassurance at the arrival of the playful visitor.I have noted that unlike we humans, pets have no sibling rivalry. At least not in the majority of cases. I have had the opportunity to add a puppy to replace a dead pet. The most recent replacement tool place a few months ago. I bought a puppy and released him in the compound and I couldn't help noticing the aging resident dog develop an air of quiet reassurance at the arrival of the playful visitor.
05-16-2016, 08:09 PM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
I want to have another dog or maybe a cat but I can't afford one right now for two reasons. One, since I don't have a stable income right now I can only raise one dog. Secondly, I'm taking care of my aunt's dog, Sandy, too and she's a little diva so another dog will be bullied by her. Perhaps when I finally have a stable job and my own house, I can get as many pets as I can handle. Right now, I need to attend to these two that I have for the meantime.
05-16-2016, 09:31 PM,
pwarbi Offline

Threads: 0
How your current pets react to a new addition to the family, solely depends in the temperament of the pets you already have I think.

A lot of animals don't like their territory being invaded by a new animal,but at the same time I've introduced new cats into my household and it hasn't been a problem.
05-27-2016, 08:16 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
In my experience with adding a pet, I didn't see any resistance. When our first dog died, our second dog Epoy was left alone. After some months, someone gave us a puppy that we named Tisoy for his white coat. Epoy was curious at first but he didn't antagonize the puppy albeit it looked like Epoy was glad to have a companion. When Epoy died, Tisoy had new companions, 2 puppies this time. And like Epoy, Tisoy was just curious with the puppies but after a few days, we didn't see any antagonism in Tisoy.

Now Tisoy is 8 years old while the 2 puppies - Pipoy the pug and Barbie the pekingese - are both turning 4 soon.
05-29-2016, 02:47 PM,
CatCuddler57 Offline

Threads: 5
I once had a middle aged cat about ten years old when my mom took on two abandoned kittens. He didn't know what to do with them as they rushed him to play. It took him a month before he sort of liked them but he never really was happy until they left. But then I had a rabbit who was a couple years old and we got a yellow labrador and they became best friends. My grandparents had a dog who would babysit the cat's kittens while they hunt so they met the dog when they were young. So it depends on what species, personalities, and ages you're mixing.

I find that cats need to have control of the situation. As long as they have a high place to view their domain and can get away from the other pet, they will learn to at least tolerate the new pet. Dogs need a moment to figure out they place in the new pack, whether it is alpha of the dogs, best friend of a rabbit, or babysitter of kittens. Rabbits, need a save place to dig and get away. Fish simply need non-aquatic animals to stop putting their paws in the water.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caring for older pets remnant 4 2,454 12-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Tarilok
  Interesting mammal pets remnant 1 2,186 01-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  What types of pets have you had? And what would you like to have? Treeca86 16 6,522 09-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Friendly Ferret
  Share the photos and videos of your pets here! Thor 5 4,810 05-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Last Post: judyd1
  New pets remnant 1 2,075 05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Alpacas as Pets dziomek 5 3,479 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Hard to tell if my guinea pig has head tilt sakee 2 3,355 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sakee
Star Storm Proofing Larger Pets 4sweed 0 1,723 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Alpacas, are they good pets? Pocs 2 2,394 08-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Pocs