LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you own a pet store, would you let visitors take photos of your pets?
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
If you own a pet store, would you let visitors take photos of your pets?
If you run a pet store, as the pet store owner, would you allow visitors to take photos of your pets?

I just visited a mall of mostly pet stores today, and I took plenty of photos and videos. Most of the pet store owners had no problem with it at all. One of them even said his store is mostly for the show off of his saltwater aquariums.

However, one tiny puny pet store's owner told the visitors not to take the photos. He was talking to someone who took photos of his birds. At the same time I was taking photos of his fish tanks, and I thought he was talking to me. He said he isn't selling tickets, and the shop is for selling stuff, not for the photo taking or even for the show.

I think most people would buy something they did not originally plan to buy but simply see it in a store. This is from my own experience. Tongue I always buy more than I originally intended every time I visit a store. It is a good idea to let visitors do anything short of scaring the pets or damage a product.

What is your opinion? Would you let visitors take photos of your pets if you are a pet store owner?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2012, 07:38 AM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
RE: If you own a pet store, would you let visitors take photos of your pets?
I think sometimes when visitors take photos, they're looking for approval of the pet from their family or friends, and of course the only way to show what a pet looks like without taking them with you is to take photographs when you're there. I would agree with pet shop owners who request no camera flash, though. But yes, if I owned a shop I would allow photos to be taken. If I didn't I could lose valuable customers, and not to mention (especially if I had just started my business), word of mouth is a powerful means of marketing. Photos are taken to be shared usually. It's free advertising.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2012, 11:43 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
From knowing a fair amount of breeders & small pet store owners, (reptile related mostly, but all types), this mostly comes from people who's "people skills" aren't their strongest quality, and are stressing about money. They get the "this is a business, not a zoo mentality." It happens in reptile shops more with people who keep coming in wanting to hold everything and never buying anything.

I would let people take pictures, it will mostly work out to be free advertising. And would build long term good will with people, even if they aren't buying anything. They may need something years from then. It's just bad business. I would assume you left thinking the guy was an a$$. And would be prone to spend your money elsewhere, which in turn will lead to him stressing about the finances, which will probably put him out of business eventually. It is an incessant cycle. I have actually watched many people open pet shops and do something of that effect to themselves. Sad really.
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
That pet store owner is definitely short sighted in my opinion. People might be deciding if they want to buy sometime or not. Treat them nicely might help them make the final decision on buying. Even if someone does not buy anything today, he or she might come back later in the future. Photo taking is indeed free advertising. Virtual advertising is far superior than word of mouth alone.

Flash should be turned off for sure. I see no ill effect without the flash.
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I agree. Running a pet store of any variety is a large investment, and tough work. He seems very short sighted indeed.
05-05-2012, 03:02 PM,
lhins Offline

Threads: 2
I definitely agree that pictures without using flash should be allowed and would bring business as well. But I can see if you're going around snapping photos without the intention of buying anything that that would bother the owner. As long as the intention to purchase something is present, such as sending pics home to see what the family thinks of the pets, I don't see why shop owners don't actually encourage photo taking.
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
As business owners, they should know not 100% visitors are customers. Yet, many of those non customers can be converted into customers. If people are taking photos, it means they like what they see. If they are also treated nicely by the shop owner, then it is very likely they will eventually buy something. Maybe not today, but the next time they visit.

By making visitors unhappy, it is pushing them toward the door and never to come back as customers. Some people just don't have the basic logic of how to run a business while already jumped onto the bandwagon of running a business.
05-14-2012, 01:52 AM,
Flexin Offline

Threads: 0
(05-05-2012, 07:38 AM)Mantis Wrote: I think sometimes when visitors take photos, they're looking for approval of the pet from their family or friends, and of course the only way to show what a pet looks like without taking them with you is to take photographs when you're there. I would agree with pet shop owners who request no camera flash, though. But yes, if I owned a shop I would allow photos to be taken. If I didn't I could lose valuable customers, and not to mention (especially if I had just started my business), word of mouth is a powerful means of marketing. Photos are taken to be shared usually. It's free advertising.

I agree. I would allow people to take pictures. Part of the reason is what you just said. Free advertising.

Someone can take a picture and have it on facebook in less then a minute. Now you possibly have 300+ people that will see that picture. Some will like it or comment. Then the people on their list now will get to see that picture. So in 10 minutes you could have a few thousand people see a picture of a pet that you have for sale. Someone is going to ask where that was taken. Once answered your store has just been posted to thousands of people and will remain on facebook for as long as the person who took it leaves it there (which could be forever).

Maybe this is why he has a tiny store and not a large one.

The only reason I could see you not wanting pictures to be taken is if you had unhealthy pets. But that is going to come back to haunt you, pictures or not.

James
05-14-2012, 01:57 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

A lot of people who started small business are actually people who don't have a real business mind. They need to think big, and look further.
Some of the owners are probably frustrated with all the people going into their store without buying anything upon leaving, but it has always been that way. You will always have more visitors than actual buyers. They need to get used to it. As for how many visitors can be converted into actual buyers, it is really up to them including how they treat the visitors.
05-14-2012, 02:19 AM,
Flexin Offline

Threads: 0
(05-06-2012, 09:30 PM)Admin Wrote: As business owners, they should know not 100% visitors are customers. Yet, many of those non customers can be converted into customers. If people are taking photos, it means they like what they see. If they are also treated nicely by the shop owner, then it is very likely they will eventually buy something. Maybe not today, but the next time they visit.

By making visitors unhappy, it is pushing them toward the door and never to come back as customers. Some people just don't have the basic logic of how to run a business while already jumped onto the bandwagon of running a business.

Also if you upset these non customers they can in turn tell anyone that asks about your store about the bad treatment they received.

I received bad service in a tire shop one time. I told everyone that would listen about the bad service. That was 21 years ago and I still tell the story. I don't think they are in business anymore.

I also let people know about the bad service a muffler shop gave my wife. I will not use that shop again and I let everyone know that and why.

Treat everyone that walks into your shop as a potential customer. If you treat them right they might become one at some point down the road.

When I was younger I went to a computer store every other week looking at computers. It was a small shop and I was treated great every time I walked in there. For a year or 2 I never bought but said I would at some point. They never once treated me bad for not spending any money.

Once I asked about a product he said it was a great product but he said that you guys have it for a better price at the store you work at so you should by it there.

Part of the reason I didn't buy my computer was because I was short on money. I was in a car accident and wasn't back to full hours. Well the day I got my settlement I walked into the story and said today is the day.

I bought a decent computer from them. Spent a couple grand just on the computer. I also went back to then for other things later on. It pays to treat people good. BTW I also to everyone about their great service from day one.

James
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM by Mantis.)
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
I think the discussion's gone off on a tangent a little bit, away from the original discussion. Tongue But I agree, bad service will bite businesses in the ass eventually. It makes me think back to around 12-13 years ago when I was a young boy (around 10-11 years old) and Pokémon was the biggest craze. As such, I often bought Pokémon cards with my friends, but this one shop was selling fakes. After I discovered they were fake, I went to the shop owner who said, "Oh yeah, whaddya gonna do?! They're not fake. Go on, call Trading Standards!" And that's what I did, with the help of a friend's mother. Some men in black suits came over to my house and took away my cards. After their analysis, they ordered the shop owner to refund every customer who had bought Pokémon cards, banned him from selling them, and confiscated all of them. I must have dealt a fairly large blow to their business since they had a lot of school kids buying the overpriced cards.

Ever since, the owners of that shop have given me the evil eye. I guess bad experiences go both ways. Having worked in customer service I know that customer satisfaction is possibly the most important thing in business. Wait a minute, now I've gone off on a tangent too. Oh, blast it. Big Grin Well, moving on...

How would you feel if others took videos in your store? I'd feel a little uneasy about that.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
05-18-2012, 04:24 AM,
kyle_crafty Offline

I wouldn't allow flash photagraphy because that might upset some animals, much like some humans. I would take pictures of pets in a store because I want to have pictures of adorable animals. Some people take pictures to show their family if that's what they want. With today's smartphones you can send those pictures to people at home and they can yay or nay it unlike when we got our dog blind.
05-18-2012, 04:45 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

I always prefer to take photos without flash. It looks more natural with natural light. Without the flash, it wouldn't upset the animals, especially not the fish or shrimps.
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
i would encourage people to take pictures of my pets! i hope to one day own my own reptile store, and ill be sure the animals will be in tip top shape along with super clean and attractive enclosures, the more pictures people take, the more other people realize how well the animals are cared for Smile
05-30-2012, 02:11 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

A smarter idea for pet store owners, design a very good customized logo for your pet shop, Might be a good idea to include something like a phone number, an email address, or the web site address in it. and stick it to every fish tank, bird cage, etc. So when people take the photos of your pets, it's free advertising for sure. Big Grin
05-30-2012, 02:15 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
(05-30-2012, 02:11 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: A smarter idea for pet store owners, design a very good customized logo for your pet shop, Might be a good idea to include something like a phone number, an email address, or the web site address in it. and stick it to every fish tank, bird cage, etc. So when people take the photos of your pets, it's free advertising for sure. Big Grin

i already have a name and logo for mine! Smile but i shall keep it secret until i open shop so nobody can steal it Wink
05-30-2012, 11:51 AM,
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
That's a great idea to have your stores logo and information on the tanks and/or enclosures. Even if the people manage to not have it shown in the picture it'll still be there to be in their minds while in your store. Something as a constant reminder. As for the person that had a problem with you taking a picture well, they'll have much more problems than someone simply taking a picture.
05-31-2012, 08:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM by OriJas.)
OriJas Offline

Threads: 3
Hmm, good question. Although, I myself would never, ever own a pet shop. Just based on my own theories and experience that well...most pet shops freakin' suck and I would feel like a complete hypocrite after every time I've insisted that people "stay the hell away from pet stores if you're not buying pet supplies!"

However, in the unlikely situation that I would have a pet store, would I? Yes and no. It all depends on their reasons. If say a couple of teenage girls were to come into the store and just wanted to hold bunches of cute puppies to put on their Facebook pages...no. Because free advertising or not, it's not fair to the puppies, and they're not on display like freak show characters. Puppies being held, and then put back, held, then put back, can be very tiresome of a puppy and they haven't had all of their vaccinations yet. Seeing as parvo can travel just on the soles of people's shoes and live in the environment for an extremely long time, the puppies could contract it before they even get their secondary shot...and in puppies, it's very fatal.

I guess my pet store, just wouldn't have pets beyond say hermit crabs, fish and birds. And I'd make sure that I went through the right people and proper breeders to make sure I'd be a safe and legitimate pet store rather than the oh, millions of them around the world that are immoral, and are puppy/kitten mill and backyard breeders' best customers. I could never run a store like that with a clear conscience, let alone work in one. I don't know how any of their staff do it, honestly.
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Take puppies and kitties out from their cage for photos is a different story though. I wouldn't like it if everyone try to do it without buying them. Your point is also right on the vaccination.

Most pet stores I had visited so far do not sell dogs and cats. Their live pets are limited to fish, birds, reptiles, mostly those don't leave their tanks and cages in the pet store unless a sale is made. Taking a photo of what's in the fish tank is totally fine in my opinion. Birds, might get scared if the flash is on. Reptiles, they barely move even the flash is on.
06-01-2012, 07:03 AM,
The CatDog Offline

Truthfully the amouont of pet stores that have either cats or dogs are become rare sight to see. I think it was during the mid 90's when people started to become more aware of "puppy mills" and the treatment of the animals within them. This put a lot of people in asking questions in where the animals came from and their treatment. Another boon was for shelters to become more (hate to use the term) popular for people that are looking to take home a cat or dog.
06-10-2012, 10:32 AM,
tajnz Offline

I would definitely let customers take photos as long as the animals weren’t bothered by it. If there was a pet that disliked photos I would just put a sign about that particular animal next to their enclosure.

You think that store was unfriendly. A few years ago my mother was really interested in a puppy in a pet store and asked the assistant politely if she could pat it. The woman told her only if she paid first. This was off-putting and we never returned to that particular pet store.
06-19-2012, 05:58 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
No, I would not. It's a pet store and not a bloody circus. These stores are there to provide a service for you and offer goods. It's not there to take children and leave.

My fiancee always goes to a pet store a few blocks from us just to see certain animals, but doesn't buy anything. I feel bad for the owners, but I also feel they are wrongly imprisoning poor birds who should be flying all over the world.
06-19-2012, 08:47 AM,
The CatDog Offline

(06-19-2012, 05:58 AM)andrew320 Wrote: No, I would not. It's a pet store and not a bloody circus. These stores are there to provide a service for you and offer goods. It's not there to take children and leave.

My fiancee always goes to a pet store a few blocks from us just to see certain animals, but doesn't buy anything. I feel bad for the owners, but I also feel they are wrongly imprisoning poor birds who should be flying all over the world.

Personally I don't have a problem with pet stores, only if the animals that were there came from a local shelter and not from a puppymill. For the people that come in and only take pictures then that I have a problem with if they're only there to have a picture to take home and not do anything with. Maybe if they passed it around to their friends to show them a pet that needs adopting through facebook or whatever.
06-13-2013, 01:10 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
It would really depend on the situation. I have to mention first, like some members before me, that I would never have a pet shop that sells animals. One reason is, of course, I could never keep a shop full of animals in cages, and the other one is, well, I would have a problem giving them away. I would always doubt that the animals are getting proper care.
That aside, since this is a hypothetical question, I would allow taking pictures, without the flash. And as long as the animals don't mind. I probably wouldn't let people touch them though, especially not children. In my town, there is a pet shop near an elementary school, and when it first opened, children would pour in the tiny pet shop just to see the animals. I would not allow this, since the noise was surely bothering the animals, even if that would make me seem rude and might be bad for the business.
06-14-2013, 01:22 AM,
Crazzyy_ Offline

Threads: 1
Surely I would not mind at all! The only reason why someone would want to take photos, seems as though they would share it with their friends. FREE EXPOSURE! However I think the only bad thing about photos would be if they were to use flash, it may damage or stress the animals. I remember my locals, they usually allow for me to take photos and do pretty much whatever I like, they should however be more concerned on young children.

-Paul

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,016 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,171 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor