Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is my new puppy sick?
07-08-2015, 06:47 AM,
jlapaglia Offline
Account not Activated

Threads: 1
Is my new puppy sick?
Ok so i just got bolt about 3 days ago he is a 12 week old german shepherd he has no akc but i seen both of his parents when i bought him he is very skinny to start not too bad now please dont judge yes i bought him from an older gentle men and un pro breeder with lots of gsd whos raised them for a long time i bought my new pup for 300 and he gave him his shots and heart word medicine right in front of me after we went to petsmart bought purina 1 dog chow a brush some shampoo some toys and bones and brought him home now im not a pro vet or anything along those lines but this dog dosent seem right First of all hes is very very very very shy which i heard isnt to common in a german shepherd second of all he has 0 energy alot of the time he mostly sleeps and mopes now my dad said the shyness is from lack of human contact because he was around dogs all of his life and rarerly seen humans although he reacted to the owner ok when approached. The first night he did nothing but mope i stayed up all night watching over him took him outside every two hours and all he did was pee He would always groan when i lift him or touch him he also gets hiccups frequently like his stomach does kicks and jumps and it almost sounds like hes going to vomit but he hasnt the the second day i was so tired from staying up all night i fell asleep during the day time and woke up to my new pup with poop every where pee stains in my rug and he was munching on a bone which he never did before when i try to give it him also the poop had dead worms in it but no more in the poop after that but even today hes very shy acts very odd and will not come to me no matter what food or treats in my hand hell go as far as to press his face into the wall tail tucked firmly between his legs to get away from me and i feel really bad is some thing wrong with him physically mentally? I know almost nothing about his back ground witch i admit is stupid and a mistake on my part and yes i planned a vet visit for tomorrow but just wanted an opinion please by all means voice your opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 08:50 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Is my new puppy sick?
I'm very glad you have a vet appointment set up for him already. The vet will be able to examine and determine if this is just an adjustment period or if there is a medical problem. Two things that came to my mind were Parvo and Twisted Gut. I lost a puppy to twisted gut before and the symptoms were similar. I don't say that to scare you, please don't worry until you see the vet.
We recently got a new pup also and the first, oh, maybe four or five days were kind of like that but she is fine now and we chalked it up to being seperated from her mom and from her siblings and in a new environment adjusting to new food and surroundings as well.
Your new baby is very lucky to have such a concerned owner and I do hope it all turns out for the best.
Please update after the appointment tomorrow! I will be praying for good news.
07-09-2015, 01:38 AM,
DancingLady Offline

Threads: 13
Please let us know how it goes. Dead worms in poop makes me think your puppy may have contracted a parasite somehow. Hopefully the vet can treat that and the puppy will recover. Shyness is definitely a possibility anytime an animal is getting to know a new person, especially if they are not used to meeting a lot of new people, which a puppy would not be since it is so young. The moaning when you pick it up does sound like it could be a stomach or intestinal issue though, making being picked up hurt. I haven't had a dog myself, but I am very interested in this since it sounds like something that could happen with other baby animals as well.
04-18-2016, 01:52 AM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
Any unusual occurrence on the part of your pet should be investigated by a vet. I should conclude that dead worms in poop could be symptomatic of a bacterial disease or hyperacidity and this is evident in your pet's reactions.I should say that shyness could be as a consequence of the dog's personality just like up human beings being introverted or extroverted.
04-19-2016, 11:33 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Puppies can get very sick, and even die from the shots that they give them, although this usually happens with small breed puppies, and not with a larger breed like a german shepard is. If there were worms in the stool, and they were dead, then the person that you bought the puppy from had probably recently wormed him.
Puppies should be wormed before they are three months old; so if your puppy is that old and had never been wormed before, he could be very badly infested with worms.
Also, it is good to get a special puppy food and not just give your puppy regular adult dog food.
Dogs hat aree not raised with a lot of human companionship are often very traumatized when they are sold and taken away from their mother and littermates, which are the only family they are used to.
Over time, and with a lot of gentleness, even shy puppies should bond with their owner, although (as was mentioned) some dogs are naturally introverted and shy, just like some humans are.
05-23-2016, 06:09 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
I don't think that your dog is sick. Like humans, dogs have their own individual characteristics. In my experience with the 5 dogs that we have, a new puppy (or even a dog) becomes timid as an indication of being homesick. It may be longing for its mother. With the hiccups, give it water. If it doesn't drink, use a syringe (with no needle) to force it to drink. The water will calm the hiccups.
05-24-2016, 12:35 PM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
Like your dad said, the puppy just hasn't been around people that much but since he's used to his breeder, of course it will tolerate him. What your dog needs is time and patience to get used to his new environment. If you've already had taken it to the vet and there's nothing physically and internally wrong with it, chances are he's just scared and anxious. Separation anxiety is also not uncommon to them.

The first thing you should do is to be calm and patient yourself because dogs can easily sense their owners' emotions. You must not be too worried because it will give them the idea that's something's going on that would make them even more scared. Don't rush it into doing something you'd want it to do. You don't have to lose sleep over it as well because all you need to do is to show it your understanding and to make it used to a routine like his feeding schedules, play time, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,739 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  When the dog gets sick Corzhens 1 1,557 05-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Last Post: pwarbi
  Puppy issue!! Eating socks! Samantha Knox 3 2,424 04-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  I regret getting a puppy and I don't know what to do. pipps 16 39,172 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Last Post: krystianna
  So much for puppy proofing truongthanh 0 1,962 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Last Post: truongthanh
  Teaching a 9 month old puppy bite inhibition aetropo 1 4,719 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: pandabear1991
  My new puppy is a nightmare Kathy Gaitan 1 3,152 02-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Dillydally
  6 year old dog has the energy of a puppy! Kteabc 2 3,008 06-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Last Post: JudyCap
  Would you pay $400 for a 'designer' puppy? crackerjack9 10 6,195 12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: tierapatt50
  Sick Dog? Sometimes All You Have to Do is Patiently Wait haopee 6 3,789 07-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Last Post: haopee
  Puppy Proofing One's Home haopee 5 3,122 03-18-2013, 03:03 AM
Last Post: trishgl
  How old can a puppy be trained? Ram 5 3,240 01-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Last Post: mz_angie1987
  Help please! My dog is sick :( Brook 7 3,241 10-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Last Post: pafjlh
  Colby Morita's 6 Common Puppy Training Mistakes haopee 7 5,610 07-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Last Post: haopee