Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is pet food safe for humans?
07-16-2012, 01:42 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Is pet food safe for humans?
I have read it somewhere that a man mistaken a canned cat food for human food. He had been buying and eating it very frequently for years, until one day some family friends noticed it when he was preparing it for them. Eek

Is cat food and other pet food safe for human consumption? Not that I will try them though. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2012, 06:08 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Is pet food safe for humans?
I've often read and seen reports on TV that old people often resort to eating canned cat food because they're too poor to buy any human food. It's quite sad, really. I guess it's safe enough, but I can't imagine it's all that healthy for a human to eat as their main diet! I remember when I was very little I tried eating my dog's Milk Bone treat since he loved them so much! It wasn't any good though! LOL
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 06:39 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Many, many years ago. I went to the grocery store and saw that they had specialty treats for dogs. One of them was chocolate chip cookies and biscottis made specially for dogs. I had one of the chocolate chip cookies and I tel you it tasted exactly like a standard chocolate chip cookie!

I never got sick, ill or lost any IQ points.
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(07-17-2012, 06:39 AM)andrew320 Wrote: Many, many years ago. I went to the grocery store and saw that they had specialty treats for dogs. One of them was chocolate chip cookies and biscottis made specially for dogs. I had one of the chocolate chip cookies and I tel you it tasted exactly like a standard chocolate chip cookie!

Uh? I thought chocolate is toxic to dogs. At least many dog owners on this forum had said
07-17-2012, 09:34 AM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
Dog treats are generally safe because most of them are made from human ingredients. I have tried my dogs milkbone. It wasn't good but I'm fine.
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-17-2012, 12:41 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
I have not tried any pet food yet but my father had tried a bit of dog food and he told me that it's quite tasty.

Actually, where I live, to eat pet food is even more expensive than to eat human food. Just as an example, a cheap, not well-known brand of dog food would sell for about 1.50 usd per kilo. Cheap rice can be bought for as little as 00.50 usd per kilo. Branded dog food can be even more expensive. For example, Royal Canine sells for about 5usd per kilo whereas the most expensive jasmine rice sells for only 1.20usd per kilo.
07-18-2012, 01:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 02:06 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

(07-17-2012, 06:50 AM)Ram Wrote:
(07-17-2012, 06:39 AM)andrew320 Wrote: Many, many years ago. I went to the grocery store and saw that they had specialty treats for dogs. One of them was chocolate chip cookies and biscottis made specially for dogs. I had one of the chocolate chip cookies and I tel you it tasted exactly like a standard chocolate chip cookie!

Uh? I thought chocolate is toxic to dogs. At least many dog owners on this forum had said

Ram, chocolate is most definitely toxic to dogs and all other animals, for that matter. The "chocolate" chip cookies that andrew was able to buy were most assuredly made from carob. Carob is part of the legume family and has a similar taste to cocoa, and is often used as a substitute for chocolate. Here's a recipe I found for "chocolate" chip cookies for dogs, using carob chips:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4498178_organic-...okies.html

Victor, that's too bad pet food is so much more expensive where you live. But it's good that humans can eat for less, I suppose! Maybe making homemade diets for your pets there would be more economical than buying the available commercial food?
07-20-2012, 06:08 AM,
Laura Offline

Threads: 10
(07-16-2012, 01:42 AM)Ram Wrote: I have read it somewhere that a man mistaken a canned cat food for human food. He had been buying and eating it very frequently for years, until one day some family friends noticed it when he was preparing it for them. Eek

Is cat food and other pet food safe for human consumption? Not that I will try them though. Big Grin

Lol. I'm happy you don't plan to eat it.

I don't see what could hurt you in cat food. Except the smell maybe Big Grin

How stupid was that guy, seriously?? Didn't he see the cat on the can??
07-23-2012, 02:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM by ACSAPA.)
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
Quote:Lol. I'm happy you don't plan to eat it.

I don't see what could hurt you in cat food. Except the smell maybe Big Grin

How stupid was that guy, seriously?? Didn't he see the cat on the can??

I almost died laughing when I read your comment about the cat on the can. And by the way, wouldn't he have to go to the pet food area to get the food? I feel bad for the guy, but I wonder how you don't notice those red flags.
07-24-2012, 05:03 AM,
laurasav Offline

You know, it really makes me wonder if the guy actually did mistake the can of cat food for human food, or if that's just what he said to his friends when they saw the cat food being prepared for them. He may have been too embarrassed to admit the truth. Maybe he just couldn't afford human food, like I mentioned before. Either that or he really LIKES cat food! LOL
I suppose if you've been eating it for years, you've acquired a taste for it and don't think anything strange anymore about eating animal food! Egads! Icon_eek
07-25-2012, 02:24 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(07-18-2012, 01:59 AM)laurasav Wrote: Ram, chocolate is most definitely toxic to dogs and all other animals, for that matter. The "chocolate" chip cookies that andrew was able to buy were most assuredly made from carob. Carob is part of the legume family and has a similar taste to cocoa, and is often used as a substitute for chocolate. Here's a recipe I found for "chocolate" chip cookies for dogs, using carob chips:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4498178_organic-...okies.html

Victor, that's too bad pet food is so much more expensive where you live. But it's good that humans can eat for less, I suppose! Maybe making homemade diets for your pets there would be more economical than buying the available commercial food?

Oh yes, home-cooked food for my cats and dogs is definitely much cheaper. Plus it's much more nutritious. I still keep some pet food handy just in case I am not free to cook for my pets and they are hungry.
07-25-2012, 03:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012, 03:31 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(07-23-2012, 02:32 PM)ACSAPA Wrote: I almost died laughing when I read your comment about the cat on the can. And by the way, wouldn't he have to go to the pet food area to get the food? I feel bad for the guy, but I wonder how you don't notice those red flags.

Not all cat food cans have a picture of cat on there. I remember the news said that it took place in Taiwan. There might or might not be a cat picture on the can. Of course, the guy could be an extreme case of careless or ignorant.
07-30-2012, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM by jenb128.)
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
The story about the guy eating cans of cat food reminded me of a cat treat commercial from a couple years ago (I can't remember what brand of treat). In the commercial, a guy was eating a "snack food" and going on about how wonderful, crunchy, and meaty it was. Then he said, "But there's one thing I don't understand. Why is there a picture of a cat on the bag?"

Anyway, as far as people eating pet food - Back when I was first trying to get my bird to eat his pellets, I read that eating a food or pretending to eat a food in front of your bird will often entice him to taste it. Pretending to eat the pellets wasn't fooling him, so I actually ate some. It worked, but then he spit the pellets out, lol. I thought they tasted okay!
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
Did anyone catch that show Around The Word In 80 Plates? They did one episode where they were in (if i recall) Hong Kong, and the Chef they were being judged by made some pretty eclectic food - one of them being what looked like a can of dog food he wanted them to eat - only it turned out to be human food, and a delicacy no less.
07-31-2012, 11:31 PM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Ick!! I wouldn't think that it would be safe, but I suppose maybe it is? Either way, I wouldn't want to be the one consuming it. I would think that the taste would be nasty. When we as humans are used to such a higher quality food, I don't know how we could find pet food appetizing. I gag just from the smell alone.
07-31-2012, 11:57 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Some of you reminded me of a TV show. It was about a group of investors making judgement on whether or not they would invest money in some small businesses. One of the people came forward was a man who looked like a chef, he handed a cup of soup like food to every investor and ask them to taste it. Most of the investors said the taste was very strange and "not good". Then it turned out it was his new recipe for a dog food. As soon as they learned about it, one of the investors spit food back out into the soup cup, and another investor said "You are a very nasty man" to the "chef". Of course he didn't get the money for tricking them into eating dog food. Eek The show was real by the way. The food should be safe, but it doesn't always taste good for humans.
08-01-2012, 06:15 AM,
laurasav Offline

(07-31-2012, 11:57 PM)Thor Wrote: Some of you reminded me of a TV show. It was about a group of investors making judgement on whether or not they would invest money in some small businesses. One of the people came forward was a man who looked like a chef, he handed a cup of soup like food to every investor and ask them to taste it. Most of the investors said the taste was very strange and "not good". Then it turned out it was his new recipe for a dog food. As soon as they learned about it, one of the investors spit food back out into the soup cup, and another investor said "You are a very nasty man" to the "chef". Of course he didn't get the money for tricking them into eating dog food. Eek The show was real by the way. The food should be safe, but it doesn't always taste good for humans.
That sounds like the show "Shark Tank" where a bunch of multi-millionaire business people look to invest in new ideas and companies to make them even more money. I love that show, but we only started watching it a couple seasons ago. I missed seeing the one you're talking about, if it was on the show I'm thinking of. I'd have LOVED seeing that!!! haha Seriously NASTY - what an idiot the guy must have been to give these rich, powerful people dog food to actually eat and then think they'd be happy to invest their money with him! Eek

ohiotom, I never got to see the show you mentioned either. I wonder what the "delicacy" actually was though?

Some of the parrot food mixes is made up of human grade organic food. I'd probably eat some of the fruit and nut mixes my Eclectus parrot likes if I didn't have anything else to eat in the house! Big Grin
08-03-2012, 04:29 AM,
jenb128 Offline

(08-01-2012, 06:15 AM)laurasav Wrote: Some of the parrot food mixes is made up of human grade organic food. I'd probably eat some of the fruit and nut mixes my Eclectus parrot likes if I didn't have anything else to eat in the house! Big Grin

Some of those bird mixes are good stuff! I bought a dried fruit mix for Buzzy once, and he wouldn't eat it (no big shock there). I ended up eating it myself because it was human grade and I didn't want it to go to waste.

I've noticed that pet bird food is usually made with higher quality ingredients than cat or dog food. Buzzy's food is mostly human grade organic stuff, and I have no problems sampling it. The kitty's food on the other hand... bleh!
08-03-2012, 04:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012, 04:48 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(08-03-2012, 04:29 AM)jenb128 Wrote: Some of those bird mixes are good stuff! I bought a dried fruit mix for Buzzy once, and he wouldn't eat it (no big shock there). I ended up eating it myself because it was human grade and I didn't want it to go to waste.

I've noticed that pet bird food is usually made with higher quality ingredients than cat or dog food. Buzzy's food is mostly human grade organic stuff, and I have no problems sampling it. The kitty's food on the other hand... bleh!

If you talk about the quality of the food, that's a different story. Food can be safe for human consumption but still of low quality. Somewhere I read that a human can safely digest a baseball with no ill effect, but will anyone try to eat it? I doubt it. Wink

As for the quality of food, I am very aware of it. Since I keep a lot of tropical fish which cost me a fortune for everything, I buy only high quality fish food to keep their health in optimized conditions. Cheaper, lower quality fish food are often made of "fish meal". It is mostly fish organs and skins, basically leftover after the better parts were removed for human consumption. More expensive, higher quality fish food are often made of "whole salmon", "whole shrimp". They are good in nutritious, and they indeed make a huge difference. Would you eat a whole salmon? Probably. Would you eat just salmon skins and organs? I very much doubt it. But both can be safe for human consumption, the latter is just not very good in nutrition value.
08-03-2012, 04:59 AM,
writer811 Offline

Cookies made for dogs actually taste pretty good. Also, sometimes when I'm hungry and there's nothing else in the house I'll have one of my rats' treats. It's safe for human consumption (I researched) and it is pretty darn tasty. It tastes like white chocolate. The exact brand name is yogies, if any of you are interested.
06-09-2013, 07:12 PM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
Pet food (I'm talking about cats and dogs here) isn't harmful to humans, but also isn't very nutritious. But, then again, neither is the food a lot of people eat, so that guy who mostly ate cat food didn't do a lot of harm to himself. As for the taste, canned food should taste like unsalted, not spiced meat, dry food has a taste that's a bit harder for me to explain but it shouldn't be starchy at all. I have tasted a lot of cat food for quality control, since the taste directly shows the quality. Cheaper dry food has a very starchy taste, and quality brands have a pretty nice taste (it reminds me of some human snack food, but I wouldn't really eat it). If you tried cat or dog food and it tasted gross, you probably shouldn't feed it to your pet, it shouldn't be too different than human food. I wish that pet food quality regulations were more strict, a lot of it shouldn't be eaten by anyone, and some brands lie about their quality (which I found out by taste-testing them).
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM,
Amalia Offline

Threads: 2
(07-16-2012, 01:42 AM)Ram Wrote: I have read it somewhere that a man mistaken a canned cat food for human food. He had been buying and eating it very frequently for years, until one day some family friends noticed it when he was preparing it for them. Eek

Well, how did that story end? Was the man sick?
From what I know, cat food has penicillin in it so ingesting it for a long time could lower the immune system. One of my father's friends ate from a can of cat food without knowing what he was eating. His sister asked him where all the cat food disappeared and that's when he discovered what he was eating. He wasn't grossed out, he actually said it was really good.
But I wouldn't recommend it to humans Smile
07-15-2013, 11:38 PM,
MamaBearJoy Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Ok, now you all have me curious about the food I feed to my dogs, cats and fish! I have never tasted any of it, and will have to do so, to check the quality. I may end up buying more expensive food is my guess, after reading your comments. Some canned foods, made for human consumption, certainly have the texture and smell of dog or cat food, and I find I stay away from them. I am hesitant about this experiement, but will buck up and try it, and let you know the results.
07-30-2013, 09:21 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
When I was a child, I used to eat the milk bones that my mom got for our dog, and she said it would not hurt me, but was not a good thing for me to be eating. I also tried crunching on a few of the chunks of dog food that we fed the dog, but I was mt impressed with it enough to want any more of it after a few bites. I guess my mom just figured since it would or hurt me, the best thing was to just let me get it out of my system, and try some.
Once she told me that they made dog food out of horse meat , and I loved horses, I never ate dog food again. Now, even dog food is just made from mostly chicken scraps from heads, feet and feathers to the insides, so I certainly would not want to eat it, even if it is cooked and processed enough to be safe to eat.
As for the man that ate the canned cat food, I go along with the idea that he knew what it was, and pretended that he did not. Even if there was not a picture of a cat, he still had to be in the pet food section of the store to find it, so it is pretty hard to believe that he didn't know .
07-31-2013, 09:02 AM,
Buffy Offline

Haha! In my teen years, some friends and I did munch on those colored Milk Bones just because we were crazy and out of our minds high at the time. They were very good but that was the only time I ate them...3 or 4. They didn't hurt me, that I could tell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,019 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,064 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,633 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,585 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,179 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,443 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Mouse Flavored Cat Food Yatte 10 8,282 10-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,976 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,720 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,201 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,439 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,082 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,176 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel