LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets as gifts??
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM,
Kteabc Offline

Threads: 9
Pets as gifts??
Have you ever received a dog as a gift and were totally surprised, shocked, scared, etc?
Have you ever given a dog as a gift without consulting with the receiver?
Every year around the holidays I see people online talking about the new puppy they just got and how cute it is. A few months later they aren't talking about their dog anymore. Dogs are a lifetime commitment that require attention, companionship, medical care, training and much more. Giving a dog as a gift is a very irresponsible thing to do, unless of course you discuss it thoroughly with the receiver.
If you were gifted a pet was it a surprise? How did you feel? Do you still have said pet?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 02:14 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Pets as gifts??
I have received goldfish as gift when I was only six years old. They died because I overfed them. The second batch also died because there was no filter for the fish tank. Nobody taught me how to correctly taking care of pet fish back then.

Pets make terrible gifts in most cases. It takes more than just "pleasantly surprised" to be qualified pet owners. Each pet species has different needs and they require different care in order to stay alive and healthy. The bottom line is I do not believe in anyone should get a pet without doing some research first. Every day there are many pets ended up died in the hands of unqualified owners. Receiving pets as gifts probably have the worst of it.

The only case I can think of that it is ok to receive pets as gifts is when the parents who give their own kids pets, and teach the kids how to properly care for their new pets until they can do it right on their own. It requires the parents themselves to be qualified first by either have experience with this particular pet species or have done extensive research on the subject. It also requires the kid who is on the receiving end of the pet gift to be truly interested in having a pet and also willing to learn the proper care for the pet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2014, 04:23 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I think that it totally depends on the circumstances of who is receiving the pet, and how much they want on. Often, a person will buy a puppy because their spouse or sweetheart has been wanting one and has asked specifically for that pt as a gift. I think that in this case, the person receiving the pet will be very happy with the pet, and will keep it and take good care of it.
I think that if the person receiving the pet has not specifically said that they want a pet, and in particular , that type of a pet; then it is not an appropriate gift, and may become a burden to the person to take care of it, or the pet may be given away.
Mostly, I think that the person who actually wants a pet should be the one that is picking it out and purchasing the pet.
05-07-2014, 06:17 AM,
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
I'm one of those people who are very against giving pets as gifts. Too many of my cats were gifts that people stopped wanting after they stopped being kittens. Dodgy

The only time I think it's okay to give a pet as a gift is someone has wanted a pet for a very good while, and is completely ready and able to have a pet. If your 13 year old wants a dog, and they have shown you that they're able to take care of it, then by all means. Give them a dog for a present. But not until they're ready for it.

I have never received any sort of animal as a gift though, thank god.
05-17-2014, 09:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014, 09:33 AM by Bloomsie.)
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
Growing up, my brother and I were heavily into video games. Every night, we would stay up playing our Nintendo 64, Playstation 2 and Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance until 3am and when we would wake up, go straight to doing the same thing. My mother found it to be a problem; she was right.

It was a Friday, and my dad dropped off my brother and I at school. My mom then picked us up and took us back home. She was telling us how she has a surprise for us. We didn't know what it was but we were extremely excited to just have a present -- even if it was shared with each other. She told us to go into our room to find our present. When we went into the room, we found our present sitting on my bed looking so confused. It was our first kitten, Shadow, a Black Tabby. It was the best present that we've ever had. And I was so excited to spend quality time with him.

I was probably about 7 or 8 years old when I was gifted Shadow. Unfortunately, Shadow had passed away from cancer a long time ago. He was five years old at the time.
07-27-2014, 04:03 AM,
Mimzy Offline

Threads: 0
Adopting a pet is like adding on a new member of the family, and I don't think it's appropriate to take such a big commitment and take some of the decision-making out of it by presenting it as a gift. It's a lot of responsibility to care for a live animal and it's not to be taken lightly. Plus, there are a lot of expenses that come with having a pet and you sometimes have to make concessions. Further, there's something to be said about making an initial connection with your pet you only experience through finding them yourself. All in all, I don't think it's a great idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,832 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant