LoginRegister

Poll: (Poll) How often do you feed your cat(s)?
Less than once a day.
Once a day
Twice a day
3 times a day
4 to 5 times a day
All the time! My cat is a pig!
No feeding! My cat catches his/her own food.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Poll) How often do you feed your cat?
03-03-2012, 04:15 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(Poll) How often do you feed your cat?
How many meals do you feed your cat(s) every day?

Vote in the poll please. Smile

Then please answer the following,

Big meals or small meals?
How fit is your cat? lol. ex: over-weighted?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 04:57 AM,
bw Offline

Threads: 10
RE: (Poll) How often do you feed your cat?
My cats get fed twice a day plus a few treats. They are a good weight.
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
Sam is a bigger cat overall at 17#. Adam West is more sleek at 9#. Both are within proper weight range according to the vet. I assume Adam West was free fed before I got him but he's adjusting to having 2 mid sized meals a day. Sam is used to it Smile
03-03-2012, 04:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012, 04:24 PM by Karenskatz.)
Karenskatz Offline

All of my cats except one have a bowls of dry that they can nibble as they want. One cat, Chelsie, is food obsessed and will go after anything edible and gorge. She's a slender build and should weigh about 8-9 pounds, and she topped out at 12 at the worst. So she is on a diet to get her weight back down and I have to ration her food to tiny handfulls three or four times a day. She also needs corn free food because of allergies.
03-06-2012, 04:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012, 04:12 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
(03-03-2012, 04:19 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: All of my cats except one have a bowls of dry that they can nibble as they want. One cat, Chelsie, is food obsessed and will go after anything edible and gorge. She's a slender build and should weigh about 8-9 pounds, and she topped out at 12 at the worst. So she is on a diet to get her weight back down and I have to ration her food to tiny handfulls three or four times a day. She also needs corn free food because of allergies.

lol, first time I heard a cat with allergy... with corn. Smile

Extra 3 pounds is a lot for a cat weight only 8~9 pounds. It is like extra fat of 30% of the original body weight.

I've heard that smaller but more frequent meals are better for humans. Is it the same with cats?

03-06-2012, 03:31 PM,
lhins Offline

Threads: 2
My cats get food twice a day, but water consistently. Whenever the water is low or dirty I replace it. I replace it most often because the cats either spill it or it's dirty.
03-06-2012, 03:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM by Karenskatz.)
Karenskatz Offline

Corn allergies are more common than you think. It counts toward the total protien so you find a lot of it in cat and dog foods, even though it's not very digestable protine. I think this is part of what's prompting the trend toward grain free foods. Chelsie was repeatedly scratching the side of her face raw. The cat sitter put her on a corn-free food just for convenince, and suprisingly her face healed. Then the sitter tried some corn based litter that she was given, and Chelsie broke out in full blown alergic dermatitus, which receded when she went back to clay litter. I've kept her on corn free food and she's still scratching, but not as much. Next, I'm going to try grain free.

As far as more frequent, smaller meals, it's probably more normal for them. Look at how their ancestors lived. How big a meal is a mouse? It would take several to fill them up, and they're not going to have back-to-back catches. That's why one tactic to keep house cats occupied is to hide bits of food around the house for them to "hunt". With Chelsie, I'm trying to keep her somewhat satisfied while not filling her up in the hopes that her stomach shrinks and she will be satisfied with less and stop binging.
03-06-2012, 03:55 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Maybe you should try a couple mice! Big Grin
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM,
bw Offline

Karenskatz said, Corn allergies are more common than you think. It counts toward the total protien so you find a lot of it in cat and dog foods, even though it's not very digestable protine. I think this is part of what's prompting the trend toward grain free foods. Chelsie was repeatedly scratching the side of her face raw. The cat sitter put her on a corn-free food just for convenince, and suprisingly her face healed. Then the sitter tried some corn based litter that she was given, and Chelsie broke out in full blown alergic dermatitus, which receded when she went back to clay litter. I've kept her on corn free food and she's still scratching, but not as much. Next, I'm going to try grain free.

Absolutely! That is why we feed brands that do not contain corn. We feed a combination of Holistic Select, Wellness and Instinct by Natures VAlley. We get a variety of brands and flavors so the do not get bored with their food. Did you know that cats (and dogs) can also be allergic to plastic food and water dishes? For some reason the plastic causes chin sores. A friend of mine had a cat that had chin sores. I convinced her to change to a stainless steel bowl, the chin cleared up.
03-07-2012, 06:53 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

The plastic dishes obsorb oils from the food, and their chin rubs on the edge, so they get acne on their chin. Like people, some animals seem to have a genetic predisposition to acne and are more prone to breakouts. Glass, glazed ceramic, or metal dishes are easier to clean thoroughly and don't obsorb oils.
04-05-2012, 01:33 AM,
bw Offline

We use only stainless steel pet bowls.
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM,
twinsmommy Offline

Threads: 0
My cat gets fed twice a day and I also change his water when I feed him. The vet says he is healthy at 12 lbs. He does get treats a couple of times a day also.
06-08-2012, 05:17 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I've always kept dry food around they can nibble on whenever they want. I kind of adapted this approach from my mother, and have had very few problems with overweight cats. I have seen a few in my life that will overeat, and it seems the cat is trying to eat everything to keep it away from other cats. All of the cats I have now are a good weight. I give them some form of moist food somewhat regularly, and my 13-14 year old marine coon gets moist food of some type daily, as she'll throw up if she eats all dry food.
06-08-2012, 11:18 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
We have always free fed our cats. Their food bowls are always full and they eat whenever they feel like it. Out of the six cats we've had (3 then, 3 now), only two cats have ever abused this kind of feeding. They both had/have weight problems. The other four cats were/are always at a decent weight.
06-09-2012, 04:10 AM,
beyre Offline

Threads: 3
While I try to let their food dish go empty for a few hours in between, they typically have dry food available to them 24 hours a day. 3 of my 4 cats are of healthy weight. Dot, who had pyometria last August and thus her girly organs removed, has become a tubbo. She bats around the food dish if it is empty and sits there like a martyr. I swear these animals are smart! LOL. Despite the fact that she has a big belly, she is very active and healthy, so I'm not too worried. We rarely feed them treats or human food just to make sure they are healthy. And I feed them wet food once a week or so as treats. Obviously, they get fresh water at least once a day, but if it's extra warm or the household has been active (and thus hair has flown around), I refresh the water as needed.

The only bad side effect to having food available to them often is that the litter boxes get full QUICK! They don't eat as much as me, yet they go about 4 times more than me. Geesh!
06-10-2012, 04:31 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
My old guy gets canned food twice a day, and dry food is left out for him at all times. His weight is fine, since he doesn't actually eat much of the dry anymore. I used to only give canned once a day in the evening, but then one kitty developed diabetes and needed to be fed when I gave him his insulin shots, which was every twelve hours. The only way I could guarantee he'd eat on schedule was to give him canned food (canned food is supposed to be better for diabetic kitties anyway because it's generally higher in protein and lower in carbs). Of course, I couldn't feed one kitty and not the other. The diabetic kitty has since crossed the bridge, but I've continued with the twice a day routine.
06-10-2012, 04:02 PM,
Flexin Offline

We feed her twice a day. Her weight is decent.

James
06-13-2012, 07:17 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Well, it's hard to answer the poll because it depends on who is feeding the cats.

My fiancee likes to fill the bowl up to the rim. I personally like to feed them a certain amount to ensure they are getting the right portions and not just stuffing their faces to get fat.

If it's me, I feed them twice a day (fill it once the bowl is empty). My fiancee will fill it up in the morning and if it's empty in the evening.
07-18-2012, 02:48 AM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
Twice a day, but I have two cats eating out of the same bowl. Once will eat a small amount, and then the other will clean up and eat too much. One is overweight and one is average.
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-20-2012, 06:20 AM,
Laura Offline

All the time, my cat is a pig (I laughed reading that and I am so happy I am not the only one). I keep on trying to feed them less but they won't accept that decision, no matter how hard I try to explain them Wink . They are massive pain in the *** I give them food. They really act like me when I try to stop chocolate and get obsessed
09-02-2012, 09:53 AM,
JustJenne Offline

We leave dry food out all the time for our cats. They're indoor/outdoor so there is no problem with weight gain. We tend to put the food outside away at night because it attracts raccoons, and our cats will fight the raccoons sometimes. We only give them soft food every once in a while (like for Christmas, we put a can in their stockings) and sometimes have people treats like left over chicken or tuna water. I have stayed at friends' house to care of their cats while gone, and it drove me crazy being woken up at 7 AM or earlier to the cats begging for their food. I am much happier with letting them choose when to eat than feeding them meals.
09-03-2012, 05:15 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Generally twice a day. My cats have a very bad habit of not eating left-overs so I have to measure out the portions correctly so that nothing is wasted. And no, my cats are not overweight because I don't give them much in the way of snacks. That's mainly because I don't eat snacks myself.
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM,
footballtim Offline

Because we feed our cats wet food which gets old fast, we feed them at least four times a day to keep it fresh.

They occasionally like dry food, but their main food is wet food. I give the two year old Bengal Meow Mix Pate'. I give the 13 1/4 year old Manx kidney food because she has kidney disease.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,074 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,337 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,668 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,602 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,929 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,891 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,402 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,292 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,338 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,400 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,819 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,522 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,540 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,577 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant