LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silly Pet Names
05-19-2012, 01:07 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
Silly Pet Names
Do you know anybody who has given their pet silly names? Or have you heard of names that are downright ridiculous? I guess I'll start us off. One of my sisters called her cat Peas before my parents took her in. (She wasn't allowed in the flat my sister had all that time back.) It's a stupid name, but it's unique. It doesn't seem so bad when you get used to it.

Same sister recently moved into a new house and is looking after the previous owner's cat, which is named Oreo. I think this is a pretty stupid name. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy the biscuit! But it's a brand name. I might as well name my future lizard Coca-Cola!
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2012, 03:23 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Silly Pet Names
Let me guess; is Oreo a black and white cat? It's a fairly common name for that coloring. Like a white cat named Snowball or a black one maned Midnight, there are certain commonalities in cat names that I've noticed. For orange tabbies, asside from Garfield or Morris here in WI popular names are Chedder or Cloby. For a white cat with random black blotches, Holstein (another WI joke?), Roarshak (after the ink-blot test), and (after the computers shipped in cow-print boxes) I've seen a few named Gateway. I read of two cats with loud purrs named Johnston and Evinrude for two brands of outboard motors. I've also heard of cats who eat a lot or cats that will eat anything who are named Hoover. Whatever I name a cat, I stick to the rule put forth by some author I can't remember the nam of, "Never give a pet a name you would be embarased to wander the neighborhood calling out loud".
05-19-2012, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
I could careless what people name their pets. Even I do have my opinions.
The most noticeable is that I see the same question of "What should I name my fish" on Yahoo Answers every other page.

The first thing comes across my mind is - "It's just a fish".
I have plenty of fish. Even if I name them, I wouldn't remember who is who except for the Dwarf Gourami. Because all others with more than one in the group look just the same. Not being racist haha...

One time I answered "Sushi".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-19-2012, 11:18 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
(05-19-2012, 03:23 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: Let me guess; is Oreo a black and white cat? It's a fairly common name for that coloring. Like a white cat named Snowball or a black one maned Midnight, there are certain commonalities in cat names that I've noticed. For orange tabbies, asside from Garfield or Morris here in WI popular names are Chedder or Cloby. For a white cat with random black blotches, Holstein (another WI joke?), Roarshak (after the ink-blot test), and (after the computers shipped in cow-print boxes) I've seen a few named Gateway. I read of two cats with loud purrs named Johnston and Evinrude for two brands of outboard motors. I've also heard of cats who eat a lot or cats that will eat anything who are named Hoover. Whatever I name a cat, I stick to the rule put forth by some author I can't remember the nam of, "Never give a pet a name you would be embarased to wander the neighborhood calling out loud".

I agree with that rule! Actually, I think Oreo is a black cat, or mostly back with a few small patches of white. It's probably a more common name in the US. The Oreo biscuit didn't come to the UK until fairly recently. Wow, they're some pretty silly names. Wink

(05-19-2012, 03:25 PM)Ram8349 Wrote: I could careless what people name their pets. Even I do have my opinions.
The most noticeable is that I see the same question of "What should I name my fish" on Yahoo Answers every other page.

The first thing comes across my mind is - "It's just a fish".
I have plenty of fish. Even if I name them, I wouldn't remember who is who except for the Dwarf Gourami. Because all others with more than one in the group look just the same. Not being racist haha...

One time I answered "Sushi".

If you could care less, you must mean you do care. You must mean that you couldn't care less. Anyway, think about it. Most fish owners aren't crazy mad about them like you, and many will only own one or two, especially kids. So I think giving a name to a fish will be more important to them.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
05-20-2012, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2012, 02:37 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Real fish owners always own large aquariums. One or two fish for a large aquarium seem to be quite empty. So I have dozens of them. In my opinion it is pointless to name a fish even if you just have just one. I don't really care how other people name their wallet, or shoes. Big Grin So it's fine with me, but I still think it is silly.
05-20-2012, 03:44 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I have named some cats some weird things in my life. And nicknamed some cats some weird things. Actually, it is rare for me to own an animal that actually has one name. We'll just say the as far as daily practical use, my Maine coone's name is Fuzzbucket. And if you think that's weird? My wife and kids wait for me to come up with the name for animals. Who is crazier, the insane man, or those who follow him Clap

All of my snakes have names, or will eventually. There are a few that still need to be named. Mostly arboreal snakes, that I don't know the sex &/or have no idea exactly what they will look like (Colour wise).

Hopefully I never end up walking the street yelling "Fuzzbucket!" lol
05-20-2012, 04:57 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

I usually draw a blank when nameing cats. I usually get to the Vet and realise I need something to put on the paperwork to keep the records straight, so I grab the first thing I think of. The adopter will probably change it anyway.
05-20-2012, 08:12 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(05-20-2012, 03:44 AM)Fishbone Wrote: I have named some cats some weird things in my life. And nicknamed some cats some weird things. Actually, it is rare for me to own an animal that actually has one name. We'll just say the as far as daily practical use, my Maine coone's name is Fuzzbucket. And if you think that's weird? My wife and kids wait for me to come up with the name for animals. Who is crazier, the insane man, or those who follow him Clap

All of my snakes have names, or will eventually. There are a few that still need to be named. Mostly arboreal snakes, that I don't know the sex &/or have no idea exactly what they will look like (Colour wise).

Hopefully I never end up walking the street yelling "Fuzzbucket!" lol

lol!
One of the things about not giving silly names to the pet = not to embarrass ourselves when we have to call them in front of other people.

As for hard to identify species,
You can always find names fine for both sexes. Smile
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM,
Fishbone Offline

(05-20-2012, 08:12 PM)Ram8349 Wrote: As for hard to identify species,
You can always find names fine for both sexes. Smile

Well, yes. But with some of those animals, I don't even know how their coloring will be either until they have gotten through the majority of their ontogenetic change, and that noemally factors greatly into their names as well.
05-22-2012, 01:10 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(05-19-2012, 11:18 PM)Mantis Wrote: Most fish owners aren't crazy mad about them like you, and many will only own one or two, especially kids. So I think giving a name to a fish will be more important to them.

Actually the statistics show that there are total 151 million freshwater aquarium fish in the U.S. alone, owned by about 11 million freshwater aquarium fish owners.

That leaves about average 14 fish per fish owner.

Many tropical fish are school fish. They must be in group of minimal 5~6 for social interactions, or they will be stressed which can lead to health problem. Some will die.

Fish is not a pet for kids. We don't recommend kids to keep fish at all without parents who know what they are doing. It is not a beginner's pet, and it is in fact harder to keep than many other pets. As we have been through this in one of our articles, of all the fish sold on the U.S. market, their average life span is mere 3 weeks after sold due to newbie mistakes.
Reasons behind why average fish only live for 3 weeks after sold.
06-08-2012, 01:46 AM,
twinsmommy Offline

Threads: 0
Our cat is named Chicken. He was the smallest out of the litter and was afraid of everything so they named him Chicken Little, but it has been shortened to Chicken over the last couple of years.
06-17-2012, 03:23 AM,
laurasav Offline

I know someone who hated hamsters, but they bought one for their cat to play with (MEAN, I know!!), not to actually maul or physically torture, but to amuse the cat while it watched the hamster play in its cage and in that plastic ball-thing that rolls all over the house. They called the hamster, "Cat Toy."

One of my aunts called her cat, "Ugly" and liked calling for it really loud so the neighbors would wonder!
06-17-2012, 12:44 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
My friend loves cats and has taken in a few strays over the years. Recently, she got one that had no tail. She named him Fuzzy Butt. Don't ask me why. LOL

Relatives of mine have a duck. They've named it Pickles, but call it Petey Peep. I have no clue why. Big Grin
06-17-2012, 08:04 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
What's in a name? A rose by any name is just as sweet. In the same way, a cat or a dog by any name is just as wonderful. However I do think that some people put quite a bit of thought into naming their pets. I know some Chinese who call their dogs "Lucky". It's meant to be a good omen when they call their dogs by saying "Lucky, come here."
06-19-2012, 12:16 AM,
Rphoenix Offline

Threads: 2
There are "cute" names and there are just "silly" names. My friend had pet piglets once - she named them Ham, Bacon and Steak. For me, those are cute. But then I know someone who named his dog "Left" and "Right"... because he couldn't think of anything else. Now that's silly for me.
06-19-2012, 03:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2012, 03:08 AM by purplecapricorn.)
purplecapricorn Offline

We had a brazilian rainbow boa that our girls named "skittles". Needless to say, they are no longer allowed to name the snakes. I named our first jag carpet python Arnie, after leonardo dicaprio's character in the movie "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape". I thought that was appropriate for a jag. Two of our newly hatched baby geckos are named "Stinky" and "Weazy" - (short for weasel teats - Stinky Weasel Teats. My husband is a large fan of Ren and Stimpy.)
Two of our female carpet pythons have the names, Corriander, and Saffron, and our female Bredli python is Cinnamon - they are my Spice Girls!
All of our cats have names, but my husband likes to nickname them, so most of the time in our house you can hear names like "fuzzbucket" and "fatboy".
06-19-2012, 05:54 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
I don't think I have heard any silly pet names, but if I ever get a pet of my own again, I would want to name or her after my heroes.

Here are some potential names:

Schopenhauer
Woody
Rand
Ayn
Friedrich
Cagney
Orton
Fyodor
Gogol
Pushkin
Django
Duke
Bird
Art
Arthur
06-20-2012, 07:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM by jenb128.)
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
^ I see a fellow admirer of Russian literature above me!

I have a habit of nicknaming my pets, like purplecapricorn's husband. My cat is named "Hook" (after Captain Hook), but usually we call him "The Monster Cat" or "Cat Butt." My bird is named Buzzy (named after one of the vultures in Jungle Book, because he looked like a vulture when I first adopted him), but he's usually "Buzz Bird" or "Feather Butt."

I always seem to take in pets who can be butts at times...
06-20-2012, 11:52 AM,
tajnz Offline

I'm tolerant of most pet names. What might seem silly to you might mean something to someone else or their family. I don't think the pets mind or that it's doing any damage. There are a few names that are down right silly though including girl,boy and left and right as a previous poster commented on. I love some the names posted here Buzzy, Fuzzbucket. I admit they are cute names.
06-20-2012, 03:26 PM,
dziomek Offline

Threads: 1
My favorite cat I ever had was named Woozy; when we first got her we had no idea what to name her, but after she spent quite awhile playing with the rabbit she couldn't walk a straight line, so Woozy it was. I now have a black cat (with orange bits of fur here and there) and her name is Peaches. As someone else said, it probably makes no difference to the animal what their name is. It is humans who throw a hissy fit if the name isn't right or "normal". Tongue
07-17-2012, 09:30 AM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
I have a gray and white fluffy cat named WonderPuff Smile We all call him silly shorter nicknames, like Puffy, Gray Boy, and Fuzz Butt.
Crazy horse person with other animals!

08-17-2012, 05:16 PM,
kamel1984 Offline

Threads: 0
My sister has a tea cup Yorkie and his name is Mr. Big Stuf. I think its ridiculous but the name has grew on me.
08-20-2012, 09:51 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
We ended up naming our beagle "Beagle" because we couldn't agree on a name for her, and in the meantime we were all referring to her as "the beagle". It just stuck, and she started responding to it. Oh well.
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM,
writer811 Offline

I named my rat Persephone, after the Greek goddess who was kidnapped by Hades to be his queen in the underworld. I even gave her some pomegranate seeds to make it official! The name is unique so it may sound stupid but in my opinion, stupid names are ok. The pet isn't going to think that their names are stupid so you're not really being mean to them. If you like a name, use it. Others may not like it, but then it's not their pet, is it?
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM by Nakhash.)
Nakhash Offline

Threads: 1
We've given our dogs some stupid names.

We had a cocker spaniel named Taffy Tinkerbell (it was a boy.) Can you tell little girls named that one?

We had a pit bull (sweetest dog I ever had) who was all white with a brindle spot around one eye. Her name was: Katy the Cleaning Lady, She Missed a Spot. Katy for short.

Oh, almost forgot the albino parakeet named: Spoonful of Sugar with a Cherry on Top. Sugar for short.

And the rabbit named Charity Hope Valentine (slept with Taffy Tinkerbell) and no, we didn't know it was a hooker name from Sweet Charity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,016 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,173 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,437 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,175 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,177 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57