LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I was in this pet store the other day...
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
So, I was in this pet store the other day...
And I saw that animal, you know, the one you've always wanted to get...

[Image: IMG_20120703_195144.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120703_195236.jpg]

He was so damn cute! Big Grin

And yes, I've always wanted a skunk, especially a striped skunk. Someday soon...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 03:11 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: So, I was on this pet store the other day...
He surely is cute. I just hope you don't have a big enough snake to swallow him whole. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2012, 05:13 AM,
laurasav Offline

Fishbone, you're so funny! I can tell you really, really want this skunk awfully bad! It's in your blood, always on your mind, living in your dreams - from everything I've been seeing lately in the forum postings! ;-)
Come on, just go get that license and bring one home! You know you've gotta have it! Why wait?! Then the rest of us can be entertained by your postings of the latest skunk happenings at the Fishbone/Purplecapricorn household! Come on - go get it!
:-)
07-15-2012, 12:18 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Well, the license thing is a whole other subject. We need to do that either way. We have a few things to figure out first. And I have wanted a skunk since the first time I saw and touched one. So it is really only a mater of time. Smile
07-17-2012, 05:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012, 05:41 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

Okay, I'm curious now about what things you're trying to figure out in order to bring a skunk into your home. If it's personal stuff, forgive & ignore my asking, but if it's just about preparations or something - well, I'm curious about what it takes to bring a skunk into a home with all of your other pets!
:-)
How long has it been that you've been dreaming of having a skunk??? I hope you get one SOON!
What's involved in getting the license for one?
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM,
Fishbone Offline

O.k., so, we have decided we need to get a class 3 license in the state of florida, to be able to display and sell most of the snakes we are planning on breeding. I actually would like to conduct educational shows with reptiles as well. But, all of this licensing is "public record". And I would like to either start a business, or get a p.o. Box address, so as the crazies don't have my home address. And I have yet to do the research as to the legal requirements to do any of this. This is a news report from a few years ago, listing all of the public information on people who had acquired licenses to keep conditional species, and those with class 3 licenses. Except, they list class 3 licenses and venomous permits together, and the venomous permit is a completely different license. I'm not sure of exactly how tbo/channel 8 conducted their public records request, but I know there are people on this list who do not have a Venomous permit nor any venomous species. And I am a member of a few few reptile communities, and would rather but subject my family to that kind of risk, no matter how small, of any screwballs having my address.

And there are many class 3's out there. The definition of class three wildlife, , as defined by the florida fwc, is " A permit is required for personal possession, exhibition or sale of Class III wildlife. Class III wildlife are all species not listed as Class I or Class II; and not among those species that are specifically listed as not requiring a permit for personal possession in rule 68A-6.0022, FAC.

There is no formal list of Class III species. You must check the lists of Class I, Class II, and species not requiring a permit to determine if an animal in question is a Class III species. Florida residents 16 years of age and older may apply for permit to possess, exhibit or sell Class III wildlife."

So, that is a pretty big list. I have wanted a skunk since I saw a litter of baby skunks in an exotic pet store about 20 years ago. I'll get one soon enough. It can play with my savannah. Big Grin
07-18-2012, 02:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 02:30 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

I looked at that link and typed in St.Petersburg and saw quite a few people and the addresses where they live. I know I certainly wouldn't be too hip on having my address out there as public record for anyone to look up like this! I don't blame you for being cautious about not wanting your home address on record! You have a wife & kids to protect! No sense risking any unneeded danger.
Hey, your mentioning "educational shows" with the reptiles got me to thinking. Why don't you start doing it on YouTube? People can become quite famous (even make good money!) off of posting interesting YouTube videos! It might be something to think about, eh? I'd watch! You'll have one fan right away!Big Grin

Geez, could they make getting those permits for ClassIII any more complicated?! Sheesh!!! What a pain. Wow, you've wanted a skunk for a long time. I hope you don't have to wait for too much longer! And if you get a savannah too, I'm going to be slightly jealous. I might have to start whining to my hubby that we gotta keep up with the fishbone/purplecapricorns! LOL
Wink
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM,
Fishbone Offline

It's all good. Big Grin Actually getting a class 3 license in florida is not difficult. But, with the recent anti snake sentiments going around, and then legitimate news organizations failing to do their research, it seems like stocking your neck out. The way that site read, it would appear that anyone with a class 3 license was allowed to have, and probably owned, venomous animals. That isn't a florida FWC database, that apparently is information they acquired on a freedom of information request, and then built their own database, without properly labeling the information. That should be illegal. I should actually email the FWC about that again.

I'm going to do it. We've been debating getting a business license, then getting the license under the incorporated name, or check the legality of getting it with a P.O. box as the public address, then the actual location of the animals may be kept as a private state file. But I think that may require a business license to do.

I'm not much interested in making videos. There are hundreds of people doing that anyways. I was thinking of doing shows at schools, youth organizations, or any other organization that may be interested. Maybe even fairs and carnivals. And I would like to start a reptile rescue, but that may be biting off more than I can chew. Funding for caging, food, medications/supplies, etc, not to mention space to keep them properly, would be hard to get. Not to mention, if I do breed other animals for profit, there could be a conflict of interest if I ever wanted to list the organization as an NPO. Even though it would be a very sensible way of funding. So I need to start a business, and just incorporate the rescue efforts into that. Though, that is rife with a whole other set of problems.

Sorry, I threadjacked my own thread way off topic from my poor baby skunk. Smile
07-20-2012, 05:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 05:40 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

Well, you could get that skunk and also bring him to the shows you plan to do with the reptiles at schools and other places! There, now we brought it back to your skunk!Wink
I love the idea of doing educational shows. I know the kids in your area will love it and greatly benefit from it. I do hope you'll get these licenses needed and go ahead with all your plans and dreams. Hey, you only live once - make this one count. Go for it!
01-27-2013, 11:39 AM,
mz_angie1987 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: So, I was in this pet store the other day...
Most people may find this odd but I don't. I think if you are in love with a certain type of animal then you should definitely turn them into your pet. As long as you can give them the proper care and attention go for it. I have always wanted to have a squirrel as a pet. Although that may never happen because most would consider that animal to be a rodent--I, on the other hand, do not. I think they are vey interesting and beyond cute which is why I am always at the park watching and feeding them. :-) By the way, your skunk is the cutest. What did you name him/her?
01-27-2013, 09:45 PM,
amberra824 Offline

Threads: 4
I've always loved skunks <3 When I was a kid, we went on tons of field trips with the elementary school. We'd go to farms, ranches, and my favorite was the 'fifth grade science trip', which lasted five days overnight at a science camp where we studied animals and all sorts of stuff! I was always the one volunteering to hold, touch, or play with the odd animals. At one of the farms we visited, I was the first one who volunteered to try milking a cow. At a ranch, I was the only one who was willing to kiss the pig. And at the science camp, I got to hold an assortment of snakes and then - a skunk!

I've always loved the animals that most people seem to think of as only trouble. Skunks can be amazing pets, but too many people just consider them smelly and unclean.
02-11-2013, 04:40 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
From the little I know about Class 3 licenses in Florida, I remember the rules and forms were making it harder for people to get the permits. I think they adopted a requirement that you had to have so many hours of experience caring for certain types of animals for a certain period of time before they would approve a permit. My husband had Class 3 for venomous snakes only. But for some animals you needed to have worked or volunteered at wildlife compounds already in operation, so FWC, knew, you knew the proper care and handling of such animals. Doing shows is a great idea, plus your informing the public, about these types of animals. I hope one day you get your skunk, just be sure he or she is fixed so the stink sprayer does not work. lol
02-15-2013, 07:44 PM,
Fishbone Offline

4sweed, you are somewhat right and wrong. A class III license in Florida is fairly easy to get, with the right applications and paperwork.

http://myfwc.com/media/290311/Permits_Class3ExhApp.pdf

Look on the second page, where it says "Additional permits are required for wildlife rehabilitation, sale of venomous reptiles, and conditional species (not listed on this application)."

If you keep venomous reptiles, you need a venomous permit, which requires allot more, including approved husbandry and a number of hours worked with the animals in question under a licensed keeper. Those restrictions are more tightly controlled. But, almost every venomous reptile also falls under the need for a class I, II, or III license. So, just because you have a class III doesn't mean you can keep a venomous reptile. Nor if you have a class II or I. The venomous permit is a completely separate license.

http://myfwc.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...le-permits.

The problem is, and why I have been apprehensive to do this, is that people think exactly what you just said, if I have a class III, I'm keeping dangerous animals.

If you look on the link below, there is a list of class I & II wildlife. There is no list for Class III. It just leaves it open to anything not on the other two lists.

http://www.myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife
02-16-2013, 11:08 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Sorry, Fishbone, I have been away from Florida, and from the need of permits, for over 10 years. My ex-husband had the Class II & III license's and his father who had a wildlife compound with cougars and leporards, servals and bobcats, etc...needed those licenses as well. Maybe it was just for other types of wild animals. I was not trying to spread misinformation on this subject. I think your in a better position to answer that question than I am, but it is a good point to bring up so people are aware that permits are needed and there are rules to be followed. I enjoy reading your posts and your pictures of the snakes you own are very beautiful.
07-20-2013, 08:33 AM,
DragonFireWalker Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I too love skunks, but would only get one from an approved breeder. Although sadly I do think it could be a potential challenge lately since we have had 3 confirmed wild skunks with rabies in the city. I am also a licensed state/federal rehaber with the DNR and it is possible that the rules and regs will probably be challenged due to some major fear mongering that some have been doing lately. I would love to find an albino or white if possible. I also love to use my animals for educational aspects when legally allowed to do so...especially if they are pets and are native to my state. I used to also do herp rescue long before I got my licenses to do wildlife rehab, as the wildlife is protected by such laws, they can not be shown to the public unless you have special permission etc.
07-27-2013, 01:21 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Those baby skunks are just as cute as they can be, for sure, and I can understand you wanting one of them. I had one years ago, and it was an interesting little fellow. It was a small breed of skunk, a civet cat, they called them out there in Western Washington.
I had to rescue him (her?) from a dumpster that he had somehow gotten into and then could not get back out again. He did not know what to think of me, but he definitely was glad to be out of the dumpster, and he was hungry, so he might have been in there for a while before I discovered him.

He wanted me to feed him, but also wanted to protect himself, and he would curl into a U shape, and then kind of dance back and forth as he ate.
When my husband came home, he would not come near me, and ended up locking the house door so I could not bring the skunk in to show him.
He never offered to hurt me, except for the curling and showing me his tail , but I could see that he was a wild creature, and not suitable for keeping as a pet, so I didn't keep the little guy.
I do think that the tame ones that are hand raised would make a great pet though, and hope you are able to get one for yourself.
08-18-2013, 03:07 PM,
alycat32 Offline

Threads: 2
I never realized people had skunks as pets. At first I thought it was a little out there but when you stop to think about it, it's really not. People have a variety of different pets. These pictures are very cute! If its domesticated I guess it must be ok. I've always thought it would be interesting to have a raccoon as a pet but I know the wild ones are quite vicious, as cute as they look.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want a Fennec fox pet! maxen57 3 9,198 07-07-2022, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Favorite Non-Traditional Pet? Roseary 21 7,872 06-21-2016, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Doggie Lover
  Would you keep a kangaroo as a pet? Why? Why not? ThatJagDoe 3 2,712 05-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  From pet to palate remnant 2 3,109 05-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Baby goats make a great pet ! Happyflowerlady 1 3,202 03-29-2015, 03:12 AM
Last Post: BobCat
Photo Meet my pet rats! Dellygoat 15 7,370 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Last Post: helaofthenorns
  Would you ever get a goat as a pet? Happyflowerlady 0 1,752 05-22-2014, 01:02 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Llamas make a very unique pet ! Happyflowerlady 5 3,015 04-09-2014, 10:57 AM
  What if your pet grows and grows and grows ... Victor Leigh 14 6,789 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM
  What is the smallest mammal pet? Ram 8 19,727 08-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Writer E
  A Baby Fawn As A Pet 4sweed 1 11,792 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Pet goat video Thor 4 3,478 06-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Last Post: pomseekt
  squirrel as a pet Ram 15 6,579 03-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Ram