LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on how to take care of Red Eared Slider Turtle
06-22-2013, 02:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2013, 02:13 PM by Keyster.)
Keyster Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Question  Tips on how to take care of Red Eared Slider Turtle
My mom bought me A Red Eared Slider turtle,the thing is i don't even know how to take care of it all i do is just feed And Clean her water and her shell,
is there any pro turtle keeper out there please give me some tips on how to take care of them.

BTW How high the water is supposed to be in the aquarium.
What Am I going to do When my Turtle lays an egg??

Sorry for the questions I'm Just 14 and i'm new to this turtle thing

EDIT:i'm going to take some picture for you guys she's cute Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2013, 07:52 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Tips on how to take car of Red Eared Slider Turtle
Hi keyster,
I have had a turtle for years when I was a kid. Not sure which exact species it was, but it's a turtle. Big Grin

The water level I had was slightly higher than the turtle itself. So the turtle is completely submerged. Very often my turtle would keep its head above the water to breath the air. I'd imagine that would be harder to do if the water was deeper.

How big is your aquarium?
To think about it now, I believe it is a better idea to use the substrate to create a natural lake like landscape in the aquarium. So the turtle has the choice to stay in the water or come to the "shore". Of course, you need a pretty big aquarium for that.

Do you have a filter?

I did not have a filter for my turtle when I was a kid. But these days I have learned it is wrong not to have a filter. Most live organisms produce ammonia, and it is toxic. You need to pick a filter and have it run 24/7 to keep ammonia at 0ppm. You can see the article here,
http://petskeepersguide.com/choose-an-aquarium-filter/

As for eggs, don't worry about it since your turtle can't reproduce without a male friend. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2013, 12:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2013, 12:59 AM by Keyster.)
Keyster Offline
Registered

(06-22-2013, 07:52 PM)Ram Wrote: Hi keyster,
I have had a turtle for years when I was a kid. Not sure which exact species it was, but it's a turtle. Big Grin

The water level I had was slightly higher than the turtle itself. So the turtle is completely submerged. Very often my turtle would keep its head above the water to breath the air. I'd imagine that would be harder to do if the water was deeper.

How big is your aquarium?
To think about it now, I believe it is a better idea to use the substrate to create a natural lake like landscape in the aquarium. So the turtle has the choice to stay in the water or come to the "shore". Of course, you need a pretty big aquarium for that.

Is A Red Eared Slider A water turtle?..
Do you have a filter?

I did not have a filter for my turtle when I was a kid. But these days I have learned it is wrong not to have a filter. Most live organisms produce ammonia, and it is toxic. You need to pick a filter and have it run 24/7 to keep ammonia at 0ppm. You can see the article here,
http://petskeepersguide.com/choose-an-aquarium-filter/

As for eggs, don't worry about it since your turtle can't reproduce without a male friend. Wink
I Did Raise the water level slightly higher than the turtle but my mom said that would make the turtle's shell soft so i lowered it a bit.

My aquarium is 10 gallons i have put a rock on the half of the aquarium so if the turtle want to breathe they just go above the rocks. no i dont have a filter cuz the water level is too low.

I have 2 Red Eared Slider now they are both Female the shop doesn't Have a male Turtle Gen068

Oh And do you know on how often i should feed my turtles??..
06-23-2013, 02:50 AM,
Keyster Offline
Registered

[Image: 8o4ix181xb82d5k4g.jpg]
[Image: 1iml17d4sb4xmpf4g.jpg]
[Image: k7kws6y44x3fmgf4g.jpg]
here is the picture of the first turtle i bought the other one is bigger you can see through the aquarium..
06-24-2013, 02:35 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Thanks for sharing the photos. Cute little turtle you have there. Smile

I am no turtle expert, but I looked around for you. Most sources say that baby red eared slider turtle needs to be fed several times every day. While the adult red eared slider turtles only need to be fed once every 2 to 3 days.

What are you feeding them with?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2013, 03:53 AM,
Keyster Offline
Registered

(06-24-2013, 02:35 AM)Thor Wrote: Thanks for sharing the photos. Cute little turtle you have there. Smile

I am no turtle expert, but I looked around for you. Most sources say that baby red eared slider turtle needs to be fed several times every day. While the adult red eared slider turtles only need to be fed once every 2 to 3 days.

What are you feeding them with?

I am feeding them with Sanyu turtle stick
[Image: jr26yjh6y50wpjd4g.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastern Box Turtle: native foods diet? ArmyOfDreams 2 2,840 04-09-2015, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Tiny Turtle hokiemama 4 3,590 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Last Post: nafretiti
  Pet turtle and Salmonella Ram 8 8,467 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Last Post: SereneScales
  Pet Snapping Turtle dashboardc33 1 2,590 11-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Ram
  5 foot red tail boa update thread :3 amanda509 10 5,881 09-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Last Post: amanda509
  Turtle - A pet you can pass on for many generations Ram 6 3,702 05-06-2012, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Always do your homework on turtle ownership Mels Bee 8 5,051 05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Fishbone
  Turtle charging at the camera (video) Ram 7 3,735 05-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Ram
Bug Little tiny puny turtle on a finger Ram 3 5,155 04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Fishbone