LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you have your pets?
05-07-2012, 08:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Question  Why do you have your pets?
We all know the general reasons for people to have pets. I'd like to hear your individual reasons for having each specific pet species.

Start with myself. I have my tropical fish because I like how they look. They are beautiful in appearance, and they are interesting to watch. Combined with the aquatic plants in the fish tank, it is simply a beautiful sight and live too. On the top of that, I do not need to walk my fish. They are not attention seekers, very under-demanding by the standard of pets.

Your turn now? Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Why do you have your pets?
I don't have one. A reason, that is. Because technically my cat is my parents' pet, and we've had her since I was too young to make decisions for myself. Those are some good reasons for owning fish. Smile Indeed, I think how they look is of course the most popular reason for owning them.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
Interesting. I fell in love with cats because of their looks. They're like a beautiful sculpture. Some have more pleasing shapes and proportions than others, but they're all beautiful (except Sphinx, Rex, and Peke-faced Persians!)
05-12-2012, 06:00 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
Well, I just like animals. I find life in and of itself fascinating. I get to create mini habitats and environments for animals to live and thrive in. And they are just stunningly beautiful, and the differences in each species is amazing. I could go into reasons for every species and sub species of animal I own. Big Grin Thats for the reptiles anyways.

Cats are like children. They really are my kids. Unconditional love, yet still independent. Win-win.
05-12-2012, 06:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012, 06:49 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
(05-12-2012, 06:00 PM)Fishbone Wrote: Cats are like children. They really are my kids. Unconditional love, yet still independent. Win-win.

Not to mention they will never ask help for college bills or even pocket money for that matter. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2012, 01:28 AM,
Flexin Offline

Threads: 0
I have pets right now but they were not by choice.

Years ago my sister picked up a cat. She noticed a sign on the side of the road for free cats. She went in and picked up one. My sister was living home at the time and my step father is not a fan of cats at all. So my wife and I took it.

I should mention I didn't want a cat, I wanted dogs but I wanted to wait till I bought a house. In the end we had two cats, one went missing a few years ago. We still have the first on. I still don't want cats but I love mine.

We also have a fish that the babysitter bought the kids. I wasn't happy about it because I'm the one that did all of the cleaning and feeding for the last one. So my wife has been taking care of the fish.

For me, dogs will have to wait. Our cat wouldn't like it and I want a much bigger yard before I bring dogs into the family.

James
05-15-2012, 09:50 AM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
(05-12-2012, 06:00 PM)Fishbone Wrote: Cats are like children. They really are my kids. Unconditional love, yet still independent. Win-win.

I agree, although my cat does whine a lot!

I can also imagine that a lot of people with mental health issues would find more affectionate pets very helpful.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
05-16-2012, 08:38 AM,
whocky Offline

I have my dog because i love dogs especially Staffordshire Bull Terriers.
06-16-2013, 01:15 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
I have loved animals since I was a child, and when I first got my cat a few years ago it was a fulfillment of that childhood wish. Cats always seemed mystical and special to me, and with research I found out that they're pretty low maintenance, which suited me. The second cat I just rescued from the streets, even though I'm not in the right situation for two cats. But it was obvious that he wouldn't survive on his own. I bit off a bit more than I can chew, but I would do the same if I had to go through it again.
06-18-2013, 06:27 PM,
nafretiti Offline

Threads: 3
I have a dog because she keeps me company,I don't like feeling alone and she provides me with that companionship. Peanut has to be one of the most loving dogs I have ever owned,I'm not sure if it is because of her breed or not but she is so spoiled and adorable,she is a chihuahua and corgi mixed. Pets impact our lives more then we know it I think and she sure has more then anything,at night she sleeps in the bed with me and I absolutely cannot sleep without her,guess kind of became dependent on that. We also have other dogs in the house,male dogs that is who guard and protect us at night,they have a little pit-bull mix inside of them and so people always are scared of them which is great for the protection so they don't mess with our house.
06-18-2013, 08:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM by BWP.)
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
I got my first fish due to my father's obsession with fish-breeding! I was 11 when my father started getting crazy about breeding Japanese carp. He would use different fish from the kohaku (white and red), taisho sanke (white, red and black) and showa sanshoku (mostly black with red and white patches) to see what colour variations would come up. I was put in charge of feeding the growing carp and that was how I developed my love for aquariums and fish-rearing in general.
So yes, you could say that I was a chip off the old block!
I find sitting by a pond and watching ornate and elegant Japanese carp gracefully gliding along is just mesmerizingly beautiful.
06-18-2013, 10:26 PM,
Babble64 Offline

My reason isn't nearly as thought-through as yours! I have my cat because, when my son was little, he and his dad talked me into it. As it turns out they are both gone now and somewhere in there she became MY girl! I'm very thankful that this turned out as it did...she's a great friend, she's beautiful, and she adds great quality to my life.

My second cat came with her daddy...my new husband. But even though she was a "package" deal she has a special place in my heart and I'm happy she's now a part of my home.

It's interesting that you comment about not having to walk your fish. I like dogs as well as cats, but at this point in my life knowing I don't have to take my pets out for walks is a big plus for me! I do find it interesting, however, that you seem to be happy and willing to do the work to keep your tank so wonderfully clean....to me that's at least as much work as walking a pet!! I clicked on your link....your tank is beautiful! And you certainly seem to know a lot about fish! Smile
06-23-2013, 10:57 PM,
nafretiti Offline

I have pets because I enjoy their company,they are fun to have and make you feel better when feeling down. I have two dogs of the chihuahua variety, they are the most fun dogs I have ever had and one is simply a puppy but she is great. Dogs have a sense of being a great companion and now I understand why they are considered "man's best friend" because they truly are. Haven't had any joy in my life except for them to be honest, they have been there for me when no one else is and they are just awesome to have and to hug sometimes.
06-28-2013, 07:46 AM,
resinFiend Offline

I have my cat because I got her just after I moved out of my parents' house. It was an act of independence, as they never allowed me to have a pet. A good friend worked at animal control and sent me a picture of Miss Roxy, a three-legged white-and-calico girl, and I snatched her up. I was hoping for a more... affectionate cat, and Roxy is not that. She's very much the "Human, come when I call you." type. But she has her cute moments and I have no problem with her hanging out for the next 15 years.
07-10-2013, 01:16 AM,
Amalia Offline

Threads: 2
I adopted some of my cats because they were abandoned and in desperate situations, living on the street. Now they became members of my family with valuable opinions.

As for the other pets, it all started as a business, but it quickly became more than that. We got our peacocks, parrots and pigeons in the idea that we will sell their eggs or babies later on, but we end up keeping them. We started we a pair of each and now we have at least 3. They grew on us and we also like their appearance very much.

Same with the dogs, but we do sell some of the puppies. It's very hard letting them go but we only sell to good people and we always ask them to bring them back if they don't want them anymore. It happened a couple of times.
The rabbit... my brother saved him from his previous owner, paying more than he should, but brought it home and gave him a good life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,832 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant