LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dinosaur anyone?
09-12-2012, 10:52 PM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
dinosaur anyone?
FINALLY had a chance to take linus outside and he seemed to enjoy it as any cham would Smile i just feel bad because of my school and work schedule, i go to school 4 days a week and work full time on top of that, so i leave before it gets warm enough out, and i usually come home after dark...

anyways, does anyone else think its unique how he has a "growth ring" on his horns..you can clearly tell how long they were when i got him, and the ring may be caused by a large change of events and a different supplementing schedule...anyone find out anything if calcium has anything to do with how long their horns grow, or if they grow straight, what color they are, or if it is purely genetics? i know it happens with horses hooves sometimes, specially when the spring nutrient rich grass comes up, i know my horse always had a growth ring on her hooves that time of year from the sudden change in nutrient intake...

[Image: 314154_487486054595122_525323349_n.jpg]

[Image: 539404_487486141261780_1938444877_n.jpg]

[Image: 251677_487486874595040_1848203778_n.jpg]

[Image: 538842_487486954595032_879664755_n.jpg]

[Image: 303800_487487007928360_1953878068_n.jpg]

[Image: 395290_487487334594994_583636676_n.jpg]

[Image: 375931_487487381261656_330196323_n.jpg]

[Image: 395290_487487637928297_1940226966_n.jpg]

[Image: 431279_487487737928287_1932652478_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2012, 12:24 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: dinosaur anyone?
Nice finger nails. I meant nice lizard. Sorry for looking at the wrong things. Big Grin

I have always thought there is a connection between your lizard and one of the dinosaurs.

Fresh air is good, but it is so green, and you could probably lose him if you look away for just a few minutes when he is on the move. Have this ever happened? Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2012, 12:29 AM,
amanda509 Offline

(09-14-2012, 12:24 AM)Thor Wrote: Nice finger nails. I meant nice lizard. Sorry for looking at the wrong things. Big Grin

I have always thought there is a connection between your lizard and one of the dinosaurs.

Fresh air is good, but it is so green, and you could probably lose him if you look away for just a few minutes when he is on the move. Have this ever happened? Wink

haha, you a fingernail guy? :p and he actually closely resembles a triceratops! i have never lost him so far, but indeed, if i were to look away, it would be hard to find him! its a pain to even find him in his cage sometimes and he'll be right in front of my face! lol
09-14-2012, 12:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
I wonder if there is any research done on the genetic relationship between Jackson's chameleon and triceratops.

If you worry about the little guy escaping, it is always a good idea if you paint the little horns with some more eye catching colors. Tongue

I am sure calcium help the growth of the horns since they are make of mostly calcium. It should also help the strength of the horns. What calcium supplement do you use?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2012, 11:09 PM,
amanda509 Offline

(09-14-2012, 12:10 PM)Ram Wrote: I wonder if there is any research done on the genetic relationship between Jackson's chameleon and triceratops.

If you worry about the little guy escaping, it is always a good idea if you paint the little horns with some more eye catching colors. Tongue

I am sure calcium help the growth of the horns since they are make of mostly calcium. It should also help the strength of the horns. What calcium supplement do you use?

hmmm i probably could paint his horns with fingernail polish! Wink and i im not sure about the relationship between the triceratops and jacksons, theres just too may differences besides the horns. one was a herbivore, the other is an insectivore, one was a giant ground animal, the jacksons is a tiny arboreal animal...not sure.

i use stickytongue farms brand calcium for all my animals, it was actually recommended to me for linus before i got him by a well known jacksons keeper who knows alot more about their nutritional needs than the average keeper.
12-19-2012, 06:14 AM,
SereneScales Offline

Threads: 2
Those guys are soooo precious. But I've heard a lot about those things being very sensitive to sounds and stress, is there any fact behind these allegations?
12-19-2012, 09:56 AM,
amanda509 Offline

(12-19-2012, 06:14 AM)SereneScales Wrote: Those guys are soooo precious. But I've heard a lot about those things being very sensitive to sounds and stress, is there any fact behind these allegations?

there is a little truth to that, but alot of people say that to scare other people away because they are very specific in their care and people dont realize that.

sounds? unless your blasting music, have band practice, or construction going on, no worries. they cant hear anyways. they sense vibrations, thats what bothers them.

stress is hit or miss. yes, if you get a new cham and handle it a bunch, it will get stressed, then sick, then die. wc chams are the worst for stress, but if it is cb, the chances of stress being an issue are slim IF you do everything else correctly.

as long as you do your research and have everything set up correctly before you get a cham, and get one from a breeder, not a pet store, no worries Smile

chameleons were my first reptiles. god forbid i was told by every person on the planet that chameleons make horrible first reptiles. i did 3 months research and gathered everything i needed, got from a breeder, and have never had an issue. linus may not be the friendliest, but i can pick him up and take him out whenever i want without an issue. ive done presentations with him too!

i just recently got a panther chameleon, he is the friendliest little bugger! he will beg to come out, book it up my arm and onto my head, he'll free range my room, torment my cat, you name it.
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM,
SereneScales Offline

Yeah there's a lot of negative rumors about this or that being a hard to keep reptile just to scare people away from keeping them. Before I got my boas I was constantly told that they'd get up to 20 feet long and would be too expensive to feed and all that crap, lol. But 10 foot is pushing it for a boa, if I had listened to these people, who didn't even own boas but probably wanted me as a customer so they could sell their pythons, I would not have my amazing snakes today.

Research is key to getting any reptile and I can not express how insanely pleased I am that you did real research before getting your chameleons instead of a quick browse for information and then being over and done with it.

Panther chameleons are awesome, would love to see photos some time.
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 02:47 PM by amanda509.)
amanda509 Offline

(12-20-2012, 11:58 AM)SereneScales Wrote: Yeah there's a lot of negative rumors about this or that being a hard to keep reptile just to scare people away from keeping them. Before I got my boas I was constantly told that they'd get up to 20 feet long and would be too expensive to feed and all that crap, lol. But 10 foot is pushing it for a boa, if I had listened to these people, who didn't even own boas but probably wanted me as a customer so they could sell their pythons, I would not have my amazing snakes today.

Research is key to getting any reptile and I can not express how insanely pleased I am that you did real research before getting your chameleons instead of a quick browse for information and then being over and done with it.

heres some pics Smile he has such an awesome personality, love him!

[Image: 548847_526208237389570_1605351520_n.jpg]

[Image: 14451_527706973906363_1487744227_n.jpg]

[Image: 528362_528148913862169_1502334204_n.jpg]
12-20-2012, 06:40 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
(12-20-2012, 11:58 AM)SereneScales Wrote: Yeah there's a lot of negative rumors about this or that being a hard to keep reptile just to scare people away from keeping them. Before I got my boas I was constantly told that they'd get up to 20 feet long and would be too expensive to feed and all that crap, lol. But 10 foot is pushing it for a boa, if I had listened to these people, who didn't even own boas but probably wanted me as a customer so they could sell their pythons, I would not have my amazing snakes today.

Not to take away from Manda's gorgeous chams, (I really love that panther BTW, actually makes me want to get a cham, lol), but this statement really says allot. A reptile really is a "Thinking persons" pet. Anyone who has properly taken care of any reptile, probably their first winter with an animal, realized, "I need to reevaluate my entire husbandry strategy, because all of my room temperatures have changed." I could list 100 other similar examples. It's not rocket science, but nor is it "plug and play".

Glad to have another herper here Smile And I love my boas, but don't knock the whole python world, I am completely fascinated with all my carpets. Under the same theory, if I'd listened to all the people that never owned a carpet python, I'd think they all have bad dispositions....
12-20-2012, 09:53 PM,
amanda509 Offline

(12-20-2012, 06:40 PM)Fishbone Wrote: Not to take away from Manda's gorgeous chams, (I really love that panther BTW, actually makes me want to get a cham, lol), but this statement really says allot. A reptile really is a "Thinking persons" pet. Anyone who has properly taken care of any reptile, probably their first winter with an animal, realized, "I need to reevaluate my entire husbandry strategy, because all of my room temperatures have changed." I could list 100 other similar examples. It's not rocket science, but nor is it "plug and play".

Glad to have another herper here Smile And I love my boas, but don't knock the whole python world, I am completely fascinated with all my carpets. Under the same theory, if I'd listened to all the people that never owned a carpet python, I'd think they all have bad dispositions....

if you realllyyyy want one, remember you have some hidden in your backyard Wink female veileds tend to be a bit less mean than the males, and they adjust easier to captivity...or you could be on the lookout for a teeny tiny green baby, ill send you a cage! lol
12-21-2012, 01:40 PM,
SereneScales Offline

(12-20-2012, 06:40 PM)Fishbone Wrote: Not to take away from Manda's gorgeous chams, (I really love that panther BTW, actually makes me want to get a cham, lol), but this statement really says allot. A reptile really is a "Thinking persons" pet. Anyone who has properly taken care of any reptile, probably their first winter with an animal, realized, "I need to reevaluate my entire husbandry strategy, because all of my room temperatures have changed." I could list 100 other similar examples. It's not rocket science, but nor is it "plug and play".

Unfortunately I think a lot of people assume it is "plug and play", just needs some heat or something and some food and it will be fine if I get bored of it or winter comes along or what have you. There are easy lessons to learn, such as changing temps in winter months, and harder lessons to learn (such as ant traps when you've got cresties eating repashy or anything fruity and sweet). Its always a learning experience keeping reptiles and I don't think any one person knows everything there is about and its great we can have communities full of knowledgeable folks who are willing to help and teach us the lessons they have learned.

I've also got a ball python and am trying to get some carpets. It was ball python people trying to get me away from wanting a boa, which is understandable since they're all breeders and they're more comfortable with BPs but I wanted something bigger and my boas are exactly that.

Sorry for de-railing this thread though Amanda!