LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Do When A Reptile Dies?
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Question  What Do You Do When A Reptile Dies?
It is one thing to dispose of a two foot snake, but when you raise the big boys, the pythons that can get up to 35 foot long and big around as a telephone pole, how do you dispose of the body?

When our pet Wiggly, a Burmese python died, she was 15 feet long and 10 inches thick. She had developed pneumonia, and since snakes only have one lung, that was bad news. We were treating her with medication but she was not getting better. Then one morning she was gone. Python's of that size are big and heavy and hard to handle.

I heard my husband calling for me and as I stepped into the garage I knew we had lost her. He had her stretched out on the floor and was in the process of skinning her. I was a bit shocked by it, and yet again I could not see him not wanting to waste her beautiful skin.
After that job was done we had to figure out what to do with her large body, as it could not be put out with the garbage, but had to be buried.
Luckily, my husband's boss owned a big spot of land and he owned a backhoe. We put Wiggy in a bag and got her to the back of our truck, loaded and ready to go. Then the skin had to be salted down to keep it from spoiling.

Then my husband was off to work and I was left with the clean up and to mourn the loss of our beautiful snake.
The idea of what we did might be shocking to some but after living on a wildlife compound you learn not to waste anything. Wiggly, was given a nice spot and we planted a flowering bush on her grave to remember her by.

Have you ever had a big snake die? What did you do with it's body?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2013, 05:18 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
RE: What Do You Do When A Reptile Dies?
I have never had a big snake, but I think you did the right thing. Not everyone has land in which to bury such a large pet so it could be problem for some people when their big snake dies.

I think incineration would be the only alternative. The local vet would surely have an incinerator for pets that have been put down or lost their lives during surgery.

At least you and your husband have kept the beautiful skin to remind you of your snake. Do you intend to get a live replacement?
Find all posts by this user
03-17-2013, 08:47 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Since that time it was decided that having such a huge snake where we lived was somewhat dangerous for us, as well as, others. We lived in a community setting and we decided it was better to keep smaller snakes as pets. It was a relief to me as we had, had a few close calls with Wiggly, in feeding her rabbits. So no more big snakes in our house. Smile

I was very concerned about my husband's safety in regards to getting bitten or squeezed.
I have seen snakes much larger than the one we had and was amazed at how trusting people can get that they forget to be careful and all it takes is letting your guard down for a minute and getting bitten in the face or some other vital area. More often we hear about alligators getting children or pets. Very little is heard about snake bites as the owners are afraid of loosing their pets. But I am sure it happens a lot, and just is not headline news.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2016, 09:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2016, 09:52 AM by Benoit W.)
Benoit W Offline

Threads: 3
I рurсhаsеd а lеораrd gесkо lizаrd fоr my sоn а fеw mоnths аgо аnd еvеrything sееmеd tо bе gоing finе until this mоrning whеn I wеnt hоmе аnd fоund hеr dеаd. Оn hеr undеrbеlly wаs а lаrgе grееnish аrеа аnd shе smеllеd likе роор. I аm thinking mаybе it wаs а bоwеl оbstruсtiоn thаt rеsultеd in а реrfоrаtеd bоwеl.
I wоuld likе fоr yоu tо givе mе sоmе аdviсе оn hоw tо рrеvеnt this frоm hарреning аgаin if wе gеt аnоthеr оnе.
My sоn is hеаrtbrоkеn.
Wе fеd hеr сriсkеts, thе smаllеr оnеs frоm thе реt stоrе, аnd I did nоtiсе rеtrоsресtivеly thаt shе wаs nоt еаting аs muсh thе lаst wееk wе hаd hеr
04-11-2016, 04:42 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I have never had a reptile pet though I was planning to purchase one that is a tortoise. But if such an eventuality as a death occurred, I would go through the motions of losing a friend and then try to change the situation to my advantage. For example, I would look for a market to sell the skin which is quite pricey.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show off your reptile pet(s) here! Thor 33 16,967 01-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Chevy
  The most sociable reptile pets beside bearded dragon Ram 18 64,844 01-01-2016, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Chevy
Question Introducing a Reptile to the Family Audsauce 3 3,006 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Fishbone
  Reptile enclosure size requirement? Ram 7 9,491 09-13-2013, 05:10 PM
  Do you ask if an exotic pet reptile was captive bred or taken from the wild? Rube 9 4,833 09-08-2013, 07:43 PM
  Types of Lighting for reptile pets ArmyOfDreams 3 3,350 08-16-2013, 08:16 AM
  yet another addition to my ever growing reptile collection! amanda509 14 7,080 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Last Post: SereneScales
  Some, umm... reptile forum type humor Fishbone 9 7,018 08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
  What are some reptile species you wish to domesticate? Ram 3 3,222 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
  When a snake or a lizard dies of old age Ram 3 8,820 07-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Ram
  Can reptile pets recognize their home? Ram 3 3,199 05-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Last Post: amanda509
  Reptile articles Thor 0 2,918 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Thor
  What are some common reptile diseases? Ram 4 7,087 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Black Mamba
  Is there a minimal tank/cage size requirement for reptile? Ram 5 4,376 04-27-2012, 01:13 AM