LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pocket Dogs
05-17-2012, 11:26 AM,
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
Pocket Dogs
Seen many people that are getting these small breeds of dogs that they can take them everywhere with them. You can see them pushing them around in dog strollers and even keeping them in their purses. What do you think of people taking these small dogs everywhere and what do you think of this uprising in population of the small breeds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Pocket Dogs
In their purses? But purses are really small.

[Image: CtYpq.jpg?1]

Pocket dogs indeed! Smaller than Pokémon!
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
05-17-2012, 10:09 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Just last night I saw a really puny dog, it was running ahead of a couple on the sidewalk. It was half the size of a house cat. I was surprised to see a dog that small.
There is nothing wrong with smaller dogs getting popular. They eat less, means less cost. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2012, 04:15 AM,
kyle_crafty Offline

Threads: 2
(05-17-2012, 02:19 PM)Mantis Wrote: In their purses? But purses are really small.

Those are COIN purses..... Purses are sometimes big enough to fit three human heads in them =\

I can't stand people (mainly stuck up women) who have trophy dogs. Often times they hold their trophy dog in more regard than human feelings and even life. I've been treated like crap by a woman holding a football of a dog and then thinks it's cute when it bites someone Dodgy
05-18-2012, 05:05 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

About having a pet dog carried in a bag or purse, I think it is in fact bad for the dog. Even we humans need to at least walk often to stay in shape. By carrying the dog around in a bag, it brings the dog more harm than good as far as the health of the dog is concerned. Unless of course, they do walk the dog very often, but just like to show off sometimes by carrying the dog.
05-18-2012, 05:06 AM,
Mantis Offline

(05-18-2012, 04:15 AM)kyle_crafty Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 02:19 PM)Mantis Wrote: In their purses? But purses are really small.

Those are COIN purses..... Purses are sometimes big enough to fit three human heads in them =\

I can't stand people (mainly stuck up women) who have trophy dogs. Often times they hold their trophy dog in more regard than human feelings and even life. I've been treated like crap by a woman holding a football of a dog and then thinks it's cute when it bites someone Dodgy

Perhaps in the United States of America. Over here though, purses are those, in the aforementioned image. The thing I think you're referring to is what women here call handbags.

The only woman who comes to mind, returning to the topic, is Paris Hilton. And she's stuck up to the core. I guess posh (although I'd call Paris as tacky as Paris's metro system) women with poodles in general annoy me.
05-18-2012, 06:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

We are not talking about purses or Paris Hilton here. Wink
It's about people carrying "pocket dogs" on them, in bags or in pockets. I doubt the dogs are even pleased. They want for a walk on their own four legs. Carrying a dog around is quite an affection, and show off on the owners' part. It brings no real benefit to the dog nor the owner in most cases.
05-18-2012, 01:17 PM,
Mantis Offline

But I thought Paris Hilton carried her dog. I guess not, then. At any rate, I agree. Using a pet to show off is plain selfish, and ironically, it will make the person look like an idiot to anybody with half a brain. However, I would agree that it doesn't do a lot of harm if only done on irregular occasions.
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(05-18-2012, 01:17 PM)Mantis Wrote: But I thought Paris Hilton carried her dog. I guess not, then. At any rate, I agree. Using a pet to show off is plain selfish, and ironically, it will make the person look like an idiot to anybody with half a brain. However, I would agree that it doesn't do a lot of harm if only done on irregular occasions.

Lets not to be rude to anyone. Even if something is unnecessary, it is their business. We have our opinions, please not to use any rude words.

I can see the only make sense occasion for carrying a small dog in a bag is during walking on a busy street in large cities, where your small dog might be stepped on.
05-19-2012, 06:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 06:12 AM by The CatDog.)
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
Paris Hilton did carry her mini- Chihuahua around in her purse when she went out to press events and the like. It was then that a lot of people wanted to have the perceived glamour of being like her and got themselves the same dog. It was a fad that thankfully lasted a brief time.

There was a shop at our local mall that catered to the "carried" dog, they had strollers of all kinds and the large handbag/carriers do people could walk around with their pocket dogs.
05-21-2012, 04:26 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
I think it's a fad, perpetuated by things like Paris Hilton, the movie Legaly Blond, etc. I admit, carying a dog that small in a shoulder bag is probably more prastical in come sutuations than trying to keep track if them. I always afraid i'm going to step on them! Thinner coated ones like Chihuahuas need sweaters in cold climates. But if you want to dress then up in cutsey little outfits and cary them in a handbag just to show then off, get a stuffed animal, or a doll instead.
05-26-2012, 07:21 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

I assume it must be mostly women who want to follow Paris Hilton. As a guy, I wouldn't try to be someone else.
To be honest, I had seen one woman carrying a dog. There is no way I can image a guy do the same unless a woman forced him to. Big Grin

@ Karen,
Stuffed animal aren't the same as a real one lol. But your suggestion was funny. Tongue I think it would make those people who carry dogs feel silly if they carry around a stuffed animal like that in public.
05-28-2012, 03:04 AM,
kyle_crafty Offline

Like Karen stated, it's one of those things that people did because someone they wanted to be (for whatever ungodly reason) did it expecting to get the same attention. I think as soon as they realized they were being shunned etc they stopped doing it but it does still exist.

Mantis, yeah handbag would be another word for it, but being American the general population has to dumb everything down because having an vocabulary exceeding 20 words [complaining voice] is harddd [/complaining voice]
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
My brother's family has a 5 lb. Yorkie. He is very cute, but fragile. He makes me nervous because he could get stepped on so easily. My dog is 9 lbs and looks like a giant next to him.

I think a lot of people who have small dogs and carry them around like babies are trying to replace a child. It's either the child they never had or their children are grown up and moved out. I have seen people push them in strollers around town. The person is walking and the dogs are going for a ride.

I agree that all dogs need exercise. I'm not so sure it's good for them to be cramped up in a bag or carried in one of those baby slights that you wear over your chest.
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

If I want something to replace my grown children, I might just go adopt another child.
Dogs are dogs. Smile They are pets.
On the other hand, whether it's a dog or a child, it's not good for them if you "walk" for them, unless they are incapable of walking on their own legs.

5lb dog is so small lol. Those smaller than cat sized dogs are cute.
06-07-2012, 03:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM by tajnz.)
tajnz Offline

I find nothing wrong with small dogs. I actually owned small dogs growing up. Big Grin I think they're getting popular due to the modern day worlds smaller living conditions. There are more people living in flats, apartments and town houses due to growing populations. They also require a little less exercise and food. It's cheaper in many ways to own a smaller dog although some small dogs are paticularly prone to certain diseases and illnesses.

In my opinion small dogs offer all the same benifits as bigger dogs. :-) Unless you want a dog to go for runs with.
06-22-2012, 04:22 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
I'm fine with small dogs. It's the teacup puppies I'm against. Unless they were bred through natural selection, teacup puppies just don't sound right. They're adorably cute and small but the ones who breed them usually do so through premature birth. And that makes them very very fragile. Some of them are even being sold even when their organs haven't matured yet. Some of them have soft spot in their skulls because their bones have not developed successfully.

If you think Yorkies are fragile, imagine seeing a miniature Yorkies and Chihuahuas weighing 1.5-2 lbs, because that's what they claim on selling teacup puppies.

Is this what you meant by pocket dogs?

[Image: ShannonPocketPup.quickblog.jpg]
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Some dogs are really very small, like this one here:
[Image: dog-cup-holder.jpg]

Taking a dog for an outing inside a bag is something that's quite normal. Myself, I have done it often with my smaller dogs. Usually I carry my Shih Tzu in a bag like this:

[Image: Multi-functional-pet-carrier-pet-backpac...er-dog.jpg]

Of course, I only take my dog to places where dogs are welcome. That's only sensible.
06-23-2012, 01:15 AM,
HK86 Offline

I don't mind them on principle, but if I was going to have a dog I'd rather get one that I couldn't accidentally sit on :p

They're cute, I just prefer big doggy dogs. I quite like sausage dogs but only because they're so goddamn adorable, and I wouldn't carry them around.
06-26-2012, 03:07 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
I think if someone has a little, tiny dog and takes them out in public, it's perfectly reasonable to carry it in a handbag or whatever. A tiny dog can't keep up with a person for overly long and it's dangerous to let it walk where harm could come to it. I see people walking their big dogs in town all the time. Do they get castigated for "showing them off"? The small dogs get plenty of exercise in their own yards or even homes, but if the owner wants to go out with them, letting the dog enjoy some fun time out & about in town, what's the big deal?
I grew up with a Pocket Toy Poodle. Occasionally, my mother would take the dog out in her purse if we had an errand to run and Brandy indicated that he wanted to go with us (yes, Brandy was a boy. My aunt named him because she was a bartender & he looked the color of brandy).
The same aunt had a Chihuahua, but I don't know how often she took the dog out in public. He was a very mean little dog. She married a veterinarian and they lived on many, many acres of land. The dog had plenty of places to roam when it wanted.

This was all way before the small breed dog trend of today! I think tajnz is onto something about these smaller dogs making more sense for so many people now, due to cost of upkeep and smaller living conditions.
06-26-2012, 04:27 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
It makes me sick. Dogs are meant to walk and not be treated like babies. It befuddles me to see this and it also frustrates me because I have met a lot of people who just don't care about their pet he or she gets a bit older.

A lot of pet experts say this is a form of abuse because they are not treated like animals, but dolls and toys, which I can agree with to a certain extent. They don't even seem happy. When I cover Woofstock for work, only a handful of pets seem happy the rest hate it (at least that's my interpretation).

However, I do think it's better than them being hit, neglected or abandoned.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,396 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,934 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,604 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee