• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you bath your pet birds?
11-01-2013, 02:36 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Do you bath your pet birds?
Do you bath your pet birds? Well I do.

I have two budgies. Every other day or so I put a small bowl of water into the cage, one of my budgies would jump in right away to get himself all wet. He really enjoys it. I am not sure if he really likes good hygiene or simply love to play with water, but either way the result is the same. Big Grin

Check out the following video of my budgie taking a bath.

For those who are unfortunately on slow internet connection or unable to view Youtube for some reason, I have a screenshot from the video for you right here. It is a stainless steel bowl with about one inch of water in it. [Image: bath-1024x609.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 02:32 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Do you bath your pet birds?
Very cute video.

Sadly, not once I let my budgies taking a bath. They must have felt dirty after all those years lol... I always know some bird species would take baths if you provide them a bowl or a cup or a plate of water. I just never knew budgies also love bathing. It is cool to see your bird enjoying himself.

What water do you use for bathing your budgies?
01-13-2014, 02:50 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

I use bottled water for bathing the budgies. You need to know that these little budgies have the bad habit of drinking their bath water before/during/after their bath. Tap water is a big no since there is chlorine and possibly heavy metal in it depends on which area you are in. To be safe, it is a good idea to use either bottled water or purified water for bathing your birds. De-chlorined tap water can work too, but do not attempt to use the aquarium water conditioner to do the job as we have no idea how safe they are for birds to drink.
02-17-2014, 11:11 AM,
SueA555 Offline

Threads: 0
I mist Joey, my Jardines, with a misting bottle. Sometimes he takes a bath in his water dish.
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2014, 09:43 AM,
Esperahol Offline
Registered

I wasn't really aware of the dangers of using tap water for bathing or drinking as it were. So I guess it's rather fortunate that I don't have an birds. That said I use water from the Brita pitcher for the cat and the dogs and that seems alright - would it be okay for birds or are they rather more delicate in nature do you think? I'm thinking of getting a bird for my mom and I'd like to know these sorts of things.
02-26-2014, 12:51 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Hi Esperahol,
Most water filters do not get rid of the chlorine very well. I believe they are better at removing heavy metal than removing chlorine and chlormaine. I don't know for sure how every one of them work, but once some of the aquarium hobbyists had done some tests with multiple water filters. The best one was only able to remove about 40% of the chlorine from the tap water. I don't remember the exact brand/model they were testing, so what I just said is inconclusive.

Yes, birds are much more fragile creatures than dogs and cats. Better safe than sorry, I recommend using purified water, bottled water, or boiled (then cooled) tap water for the birds to drink and bath.
04-01-2014, 06:54 AM,
DwightandSasha Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
I just aprayed the m mist from a traditional sprayer from the grocery. They bit me everytime i would put them near water. I guess it frightens them. But spraying some mist on the cage with them on the perchse is somethin gthat they love. They would spread their wings and will fly in place! I think it really depends on the attitude and likes of your parakeets. The most important thing is you should do whatever they love and do not do things that hurt or harm them. Smile
04-18-2014, 03:08 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
(04-01-2014, 06:54 AM)DwightandSasha Wrote: They bit me everytime i would put them near water.

You don't need to "put" the birds near the water. It should be done the other way around.
You put a bowl of water near your birds. (or rather, just in the cage) If they are interested in taking a bath, they'd jump in themselves. If not, then tough luck lol.

Where did you get the idea people were "pushing birds into the water"? LOL! It's not happening.
07-23-2014, 06:13 PM,
Lauraelrod Offline
Registered

i bath my bird in a few ways. I use a misty bottle , or i use a heavy dish in the bottom of the cage. they also love the sink with the water running slow. i have 2 conures and a African grey parrot
07-31-2014, 11:35 AM,
freespirited1 Offline

Threads: 3
I have to bathe my Cockatiel, Kirby at least every week, or he gets dry skin and produces this powdery stuff that makes a dusty mess. I mist him at least once a week, and wash him in the sink twice a month. This keeps him nice and clean, and his feathers beautiful.

In the summer, I mist him twice a week to keep him cool, and he loves it!
12-29-2014, 07:13 PM,
Miranda Boldari Offline

Threads: 2
My friend boils some water, cools it down thoroughly and puts in her parrot's water dish. Beaky does the rest of it on his own.
She sometimes uses bottled mineral water, or if she can, goes over to this nice, clean pond in the park and gets some water. Beaky's feathers practically glow after a good bath in those waters.
01-17-2015, 12:52 AM,
DancingLady Offline

Threads: 13
Mine do not seem to like it except in the summer. Our house isn't cold, so I don't know why. In the summer it's pretty warm so then they do sometimes get themselves wet to cool down.

I had a quaker parrot for a while and she did love to take a bath. She would jump in the bowl and shake herself in the water repeatedly. I had to make sure there was a large towel on the table around the bowl so she didn't make a big mess.
02-23-2015, 10:31 AM,
franpj2 Offline

I got my cockatiel from an abusive situation and since I'd never owned birds before, I started reading and trolling the internet for info.
I tried putting a dish of RO water down for him, but he climbed to the very top of the cage and stayed there all night.
So, about a week later, since his cage has partial sunlight in it, I waited until it was nice and warm, then misted him. First time, it was a disaster, and I calmly, quietly told him I wasn't punishing him, but rewarding him. Of course, he doesn't understand.
However, the next time, he spread his wings, ducked his head and fluffed, over and over. He was so content for the rest of the day.
BTW, I'm jealous of other owners who can touch their birds and interact with them. My bird is much too frightened of me even after months....
07-24-2015, 01:18 PM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
Good for you for rescuing your baby! It sounds like you are very patient and kind with him. I have a cockatiel as well, and he is not scared,; He is just grumpy and spoiled. He absolutely will not take a bath, nor will he allow us to give him one! He's a real stinker, no pun intended.
06-04-2016, 07:20 AM,
Novelangel Offline

Threads: 4
Birds of all flavors tend to love splashing in water to get cooled off, and cleaned up. In fact, the preening that usually follows a good splashing is what distributes the bird's natural oils throughout his or her feathers, which keeps the plumage healthy. Without a good bath now and then, pet birds tend to accumulate loose flakes of dead skin within their feathers. Plus, the feathers get dusty and the oils don't always go where they are most needed. Some birds will preen for hours, bath or no bath, and when they do, watch out, because the bird dander will fly about, making the poor little thing look like it's stuck in the center of a dust storm. With regular bathing, the bird can oil himself more frequently and better manage his own dead skin situation, keeping the skin healthier as well as the feathers. In fact, some bird owners will simply get a squirt bottle and give the bird a shower. Usually the bird will respond to this by lowering his head, puffing out his chest and extending his wings to get more water into all the nooks and crannies. Once the shower is over, the preening will begin and a well-groomed bird is a happy one. In the wild, the bath ritual seems to be pretty much the same for all types of birds, no matter their size, shape, color or location. They lower one wing and splash water on themselves with it, and repeat with the other wing on the other side. They do that several times and then climb out on shore to preen, or fly to a tree branch to do so. So, yes, it is best to give your bird a dish of water to splash in, or a nice shower a few times a week. They will love us for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Birds versus other pets remnant 4 2,632 03-24-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Anawilliam850
  No interest in birds !!!!!! truongthanh 5 3,194 03-24-2023, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Anawilliam850
  Best Perches For Birds? 4sweed 7 5,933 07-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Last Post: moeeziqb
  Heartless teenager steals and kills pet parrot. Happyflowerlady 4 4,250 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Last Post: pwarbi
  Do pet birds get avian flu like chickens do ? Happyflowerlady 2 3,216 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Last Post: remnant
  Would you keep am owl for a pet? remnant 0 1,735 06-12-2016, 06:49 PM
  Do you cage your birds? Eudora13 6 4,801 06-04-2016, 06:05 AM
  Do you let your birds out of their cage? BobCat 12 6,218 05-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Keeping Birds Cool DancingLady 1 2,746 11-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Last Post: legeipslt
  other birds in aviary with Lovebirds homewood hill 1 2,694 01-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Ram
  Full list of talking birds? Ram 7 16,963 04-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Have you tried to hand feed your pet birds? Thor 1 4,891 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Ram
  Is round cage bad for birds? Round cage or rectangular cage? Ram 7 20,511 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Last Post: TheBrit
Smile Bird's Plurality: Describing Groups of Birds 4sweed 2 7,395 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Last Post: A0130
  Can different kinds of birds share a cage? bellahpereira 7 27,692 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Last Post: SueA555