LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you train your dog?
12-08-2012, 01:28 AM,
Molly Offline

Threads: 4
Do you train your dog?
I give my two dachshunds basic training lessons. They know to sit and walk on a leash, etc. I don't let them pull me but to walk beside me. My dogs are small and so, they have some basic training according to their size. It really bothers me when I see a large dog who is so unruly, even though this dog is on a leash. The owner doesn't know how to train nor control their dog. That is not good for either the dog or the owner. Do you train your dog - even on a basic training level?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2012, 05:49 PM,
themdno Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Do you train your dog?
I do train my dogs, I'm always teaching them something new. Don't judge too much with the owners who have unruly dogs, though Smile. I have a big dog, and sometimes he gets excited, and he wont listen for anything. Once he calms down a bit, he listens wonderfully, but if anything gets him excited, it's time to play.

As for training, one thing I like to do, is to teach them vocal and visual cues. So, my dogs know what sit means, but they also know when I make a quick pointing motion at the ground, that also means sit. I try t teach them silent commands for most of the tricks they know, but some don't work. I can't get them to speak from a visual cue, but I'm working on it, haha!
12-09-2012, 09:30 PM,
dhrynio Offline

Threads: 5
My husband went through a lot of training with his German shepherd in the military. He worked with our second dog very hard and she is a wonderfully trained dog. She knows voice and hand commands. She lays, sits, heels, stays where told and will even wait to eat till told.
12-09-2012, 11:51 PM,
themdno Offline

Mine are good with staying, but only if I'm in the room. If I tell them to stay and then walk off, they get up right away. I'm trying to get them to stay even when I'm not looking, but for now, they're being stubborn.
12-15-2012, 12:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM by maddie.)
maddie Offline

Threads: 4
Yes, I do train my dogs. I hate it when I see unruly dogs just the way you do. I do not like dogs that try to growl and try to bite mine when I take her to the park. I have trained her from the time she was very little. She will always heed my commands. This is very rewarding for me and easy on her.
An untrained dog is a confused dog. He does not know that he is not the one in control. "You need to be the pack leader of your dogs" that is what my father used to tell me. "You command and they obey".. this has helped me with all the dogs I have had. Once trained we have an easy relationship and enjoy each others company at ease.
My dog knows, sit, stand, heel, stop, go, fetch etc., She is very sweet and obedient by nature and it was a pleasure to train her.
12-19-2012, 02:59 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
I'm still working on areas where a lot of public distraction takes place. Otherwise, my Shih Tzu is able to sit, "down", bark, "bang", stand up, "leave it" and twirl on cue. I haven't trained her for new tricks recently because of my hectic schedule. Chooey hardly pulls on the leash which is just great since it saves me the time allotted for leash training.
01-07-2013, 11:51 PM,
mz_angie1987 Offline

I've never trained my dog or hired a professional to do it for me. I kind of just let my dog be and that's one of the mistakes I've made. Now, she is out of order and in dire need of training. I think it's best to start when they are puppies so that it can be easier. When I decide to get her trained, I won't be executing that myself, I will get a trainer.
03-03-2013, 08:41 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
When we got our chow chow the nearest dog training facility was 2 hours away so it wasn't an option, we had to train her ourselves. She was just a puppy around 3 months old but we found that she was receptive to training when she had already been walked or exercised. If a dog still has a lot of excess energy the chances of it paying attention to you is next to nil. A calm state of mind and being consistent is the best way to train your dog. It's not going to be an overnight lesson. I remember my 12 year old was just exhausted and frustrated when we were going through the process, I just told him to be patient and in a couple of weeks we had toilet trained chacha our chow as well as had her walking beside us on a leash, sit, stay, and come when she was called.
03-04-2013, 05:31 AM,
Kaylee Offline

Threads: 2
I train my dog. I use clicker training and positive reinforcement when training him. He knows voice commands and hand signals along with commands in a second language. We don't just work on basic obedience either, we work on fun tricks as well.
03-19-2013, 10:04 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
I found the best trained dog is one where both owners, like in my case my husband and I, agreeded to teach the dog to behave. A dog is like a child, so both people must treat and train the animal so that he is trained in a fashion that he listens and respects the owners.

When bad behavior is laughed at or let go by one person, and the other does all the punishment. Then as stated above by maddie, the dog gets confused and can get mean over time. I was good at the training part of teaching our dogs to come when called and sit, stay and do tricks. I also trained them to walk nicely on a lead without pulling or dragging me down the street or pulling backward trying to get away. The most important lesson to teach them is that it is not ok to bite. If that is instilled in them early one, there is less chance they might bite a child or even their owner.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 06:10 AM,
GavinMcresty Offline

All of our dogs have been rescue dogs so they tended to be somewhat set in their ways when we got them. Although they were still puppies, they had already got used to doing as they pleased. One of them was reasonably well behaved anyway. The only thing she was sneaky about was eating rubbish on the street. She had all sorts of tricks to go eat a discarded takeaway and all sorts of other unsavoury things. She definitely knew that she was not meant to eat these things but she did it anyway. Our other dog was very badly behaved. We kept her on a leash all the time because of that. She did not like other dogs at all for some reason. If we had allowed her near them she would probably have tried to fight them. To be honest, I think she was probably just scared of them. Perhaps she had some bad experience with other dogs before she came to us. She was also very easily distracted and easy to scare. If we had allowed her off her leash, she might have run away and not come back. This would not have been because she did not want to return. It would be because she would keep getting scared by loud noises or distracted by food and would not have been able to find her way back to us.
04-23-2013, 12:48 AM,
borderlab Offline
Registered

I'm proud to have trained my dogs myself. I'm not into teaching fancy tricks but they know all the basics to keep them safe and sociably acceptable. Most the training was done years ago when they were pups but I still do regular sessions to keep them refreshed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,857 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,696 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,145 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,322 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,188 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,489 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,740 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,581 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady