LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your dog have a lot of energy?
08-21-2013, 03:42 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Does your dog have a lot of energy?
I read that Jack Russell Terriers have a lot of energy. Misha is 4 years old. So far, I am not seeing it. She has spurts of energy. And, on rainy days when she doesn't get her walk, she can be very bratty. But, she isn't the type of dog that runs around all the time that must be walked an hour every day to burn off all the excess energy.

I take her to our family get-togethers. Mostly, she hangs around me or goes to her favorite people. She doesn't really play with the other dogs. Still, she is usually exhausted for 2-3 days afterward.

She has been like this since I got her, so I don't think it's a health issue. I just think she doesn't have the boundless energy I thought her breed would have.

Does your dog have a lot of energy? Are you constantly looking for ways to keep him/her moving?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2013, 01:31 PM,
NDN Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Does your dog have a lot of energy?
Brownie has short burst of energy. He loves to go for walks , but not very long walks. If I take him too far he will simple plop himself down and paint. Then he looks up at me like are you really going to make me walk all this way. Once he gets a rest he is up and trotting again. this dog would rather go for a few short walks a than one long walk.
08-24-2013, 03:40 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
My Yorkie, Prissy, is VERY hyper. I figured she would calm down once she was fixed but we've had no such luck. She LOVES to play and run around! She is very high energy. My other Yorkie, Peanut...not so much! Peanut is definitely NOT a good playmate for Prissy. He is like an old man. He is very grouchy, grumpy and set in his ways. He doesn't want to be messed with majority of the time.
08-25-2013, 08:03 AM,
mommy42 Offline

Threads: 2
My mini schnauzer had a lot of energy when he was younger! He also used to get bored a lot if we didnt play a lot and get a lot of exercise. He would chew up rugs, the wood on the corners of walls, the kids clothes, socks, kleenexes! For a while it was like having a third kid - only he was the naughty one!!! Lol!!

As he got older it got a lot better and he could actually be left at home without worry that he would wreck the place! Smile

Now that he is an "old man" he mostly sleeps. We noticed that he is starting to lose his hearing - doesn't hear the doorbell anymore. He was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago and he really seemed to age after that. He gets insulin 2 x a day and I think it makes him tired.

So, lots less energy now! He is still so sweet. Smile
08-31-2013, 12:01 AM,
MariaPamela Offline

Threads: 2
My dog has A LOT of energy!! Especially when I come home from school or when we have visitors, she gets really excited and will jump on you. She doesn't bark, though. Just wags her tail and jumps on you. You can really feel the excitement and joy in her eyes.

I take her on my nightly jogs. I jog for about 4 km and by the time we get home, she is pooped! She'll have some water and doze off on the couch.
08-31-2013, 12:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM by Tribie.)
Tribie Offline

Threads: 5
Our dog Benjie is always very hyperactive when any of us show up downstairs. He always jups around and runs back and forth hoping to gain attention from the newcomer. When we are just sitting on the sofa he always plays with his chewtoy or finds something to play with. He particularly like our shoes and he runs around with them until we catch him. The only time we have some peace is when he's asleep. I think you are lucky that your dog isn't as energetic. It is tiring to just keep on watching the dog. He's like a toddler that can get into trouble anytime.
09-02-2013, 03:40 PM,
A0130 Offline

Threads: 10
My dog is about 13 years old, and he's still bustling! Granted, he's not too keen on the dog park or going for walks anymore, but he loves going outside and playing! He still loves his toys, treats, and when his collar isn't on him he refuses to let go of it or let it out of his sight. He loves getting pet, and will gladly sit there and fall asleep no matter who it is (such a great guard dog....). He is a happy go lucky guy, but so stubborn. What else would you expect from an old grump like him? I hope he has a lot more years ahead of him, as he is healthy right now and still excited about things.
09-04-2013, 12:24 AM,
Whitney Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
My Kelpie Brodie has plenty of energy and he's only 7, but I don't see that ever changing with age. He could go for five walks a day and he could run for miles if I had the energy and fitness to keep up with him. He lives with my ex currently, who has a big backyard and he gets to go for a run in the reserve at least once a day. I used to think it was because of the breed he was, but then I have met people with Kelpies and other working breeds whose dogs prefer to laze about all day. Some won't even chase a ball which is strange for a working breed. I think it somethings depends on the individual personality of the dog.
09-05-2013, 08:58 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
I have 2 Yorkies. Peanut is more laid back and calm, but Prissy however is "ON" ALL the time. She is SO hyper and constantly wants to play. The minute her eyes open up from sleeping at night, she is full blast and nonstop. She pounces on me and Peanut in the mornings trying to get us up. If I ignore her and roll over, she walk around me and will tap my face gently with her paw. I can't help but laugh at her. I always say "You better stop!" in a playful voice and she smiles at me. It is very hard to discipline her. She is so cute! She has such a personality!
09-10-2013, 02:37 AM,
apickett80 Offline

Threads: 4
Our 9 month old Boston Terrier has a ton of energy so he requires tons of exercise daily. I let him play outside pretty much all day long with little naps in between time. My mom lives across the yard from us and she has a 3 year old Dachshund that our pup plays with. They are best friends..haha. They do get into little spats over my mom though. They both love her and get jealous when the other gets attention.
09-16-2013, 09:04 AM,
kristyleann Offline

My rat terrier has tons of energy. She is always wanting to run or play. You can't get her to sit still for very long before she is going all over the place trying to find something interesting. We have about an acre of land so she has plenty of room to run and dig and she takes full advantage of it. When we go out she's like "I'm going to run around the perimeter of the yard over and over and over!" and then I'll go back inside and she comes to the door and looks in at me like "Aren't you going to watch me run? I'm so good at it!" Smile

And she loves to dig but fortunately her holes aren't too bad because she has a horrible attention span. She'll smell something and start digging a little and then suddenly she goes somewhere else to dig. I swear sometimes I think she has ADD. I don't know if dogs can have that but if the can she would be the poster dog for it. lol
09-17-2013, 01:59 PM,
cliverederson Offline

Threads: 5
I have a little chihuahua and when she runs and plays, she'll play hard but she'll run out of energy in a fairly short amount of time. Same with going on walks, after not too long she's pulling against the leash and she'd rather be carried. I kind of think of it like she's small so she has a small tank of gas to work with hehe. I don't mind it, in fact I selected this breed/size because I read they only need about 10 minutes of exercise a day, and she probably gets more than that most days. If she has a big day like going out to my parents' house, she'll sleep the whole next day almost. So anyway my point being, I think it has a lot to do with their size. I wouldn't worry about your dog too much if she seems otherwise happy and healthy. You might research your dog's breed and size and find you're worrying too much and 15 minutes or so of exercise/stimulation is all she really needs.
12-19-2013, 07:25 AM,
tierapatt50 Offline

Threads: 3
My dog is definitely in the hyper bin she has a lot of energy but then again she is a puppy and all the puppies I have ever had had lots of energy but then they calm down in adulthood. I keep her moving just by taking her on periodic walks (because she loves them so much) and playing and running around with her.
12-26-2013, 10:35 PM,
David Offline
Registered

I have a 2 years old dog he has a lot of energy. He never gets tired. When I reach from work he starts playing with me and I go for a walk around with him daily. He loves to take walk with me or I can say me too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,847 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,696 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,145 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,320 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,487 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,740 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,581 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady