LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog food or table food?
05-15-2016, 05:43 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
Dog food or table food?
My husband's concern for the dog food is not the cost but the availability. What if the dogs are used to eating dog food and suddenly the supply was cut? But in the morning, we still give our dogs canned dog food that is prescribed for the kidneys. Actually that KD type dog food is a big help in giving a good texture of poop - not wet but not constipated. Wtih other meals, we give our dogs boiled meat like chicken, pork, beef but more often we give them fried or boiled fish. They are used to eating that menu and we get no complaints.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2016, 03:16 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: Dog food or table food?
We always feed our dogs from the table; but they also have free access to dry dog food and water any time that they want it.
Because Chipper is now an older dog, and has a hard time eating the hard kibble, I always get the kind that has very tiny kibbles, the size of small peas. Even so, he has trouble chewing it, and I alsso supplement his food with canned dog food that is much easier for him to eat.
I add probiotics to his food as well as diatomaceous earth to prevent worms, and to keep his digestive system working properly.
If for ome reason, we didn't have dog food available, our dogs would be just fine with only having table scraps as food until we got more dog food for them.
05-16-2016, 09:45 PM,
pwarbi Offline

Threads: 0
We've always fed our dogs dog food both wet and dry, as I think it's better for them than food meant for humans. While the dogs do beg when we're eating, and more often than not they'll get a tiny piece of our plates as a treat, their main diet consists of dog food and biscuits that are made specifically for their size and weight.
05-17-2016, 05:19 AM,
heavymetalkilos Offline

We always give our dog mainly that real dog food. The main reason is the fact that if we'd feed her straight from the table she'd become too spoiled and always be begging for food. Also, she has a lot of weight problems and we saw feeding straight from the table being one of the reasons to that. If you give your dog the right amount of the food that they need to eat, that weight will also stay off. Yes, all the treats are not denied from our little girl, but we're pretty strict about it.
05-18-2016, 12:34 AM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
(05-15-2016, 05:43 PM)Corzhens Wrote: My husband's concern for the dog food is not the cost but the availability. What if the dogs are used to eating dog food and suddenly the supply was cut? But in the morning, we still give our dogs canned dog food that is prescribed for the kidneys. Actually that KD type dog food is a big help in giving a good texture of poop - not wet but not constipated. Wtih other meals, we give our dogs boiled meat like chicken, pork, beef but more often we give them fried or boiled fish. They are used to eating that menu and we get no complaints.

This is why we alternate the kinds of food we are giving to our dogs. Dog food is only for mornings and lunch and dinner are either boiled chicken meat (not the skin), boiled chicken liver (remove the 'heart') and/ or boiled ground beef. My Clio gets any with a serving of rice while Sandy only gets the meat. She's a small dog so we're making sure she doesn't get too overweight. When the meats run out, we just give them regular dog food until we can buy those mentioned above.
05-18-2016, 08:23 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I have learnt that dogs cannot just feed on any variety of food which could cause problems in its digestion. The best evaluation of whether you are giving the correct dog food is its stool. The best diet should produce dark brown and firm stools. Premium dry foods tend to have the highest quality ingredients and are mainly based on rice, corn and chicken. Some dogs are accustomed to complete dry foods but will normally grow to like them with time. I have and do feed dogs on homemade feed though its not easy to get the nutritional proportions right. Do you change your dog's diet often? The rule of thumb is to change the diet gradually over a week to avoid digestive upset. I have learnt that its best to stick to one variety of dogfood and not add any supplements unless prescribed by a vet.
05-18-2016, 09:58 PM,
pwarbi Offline

Giving your dog a variety of foods, and making their diet exciting for them is important, and while dogs will pretty much eat anything that's edible (and some things that aren't!) You have to try and give them a mixture of foods and not just give them things you know they like.

A dog's nutrition is important and just like our own diets, we have to make sure they're getting the essential vitamins and minerals they need to keep them healthy. If they only eat what they like, rather than what's good for them, then aswell as ending up being overweight, it can affect their digestion aswell as their mouth, teeth and gums.

There's a lot to think about when owning a pet and especially a dog, and while I think most people only think about things like talking it for walks and the love, affection and company they give you, you also need to think about other aspects aswell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,839 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,168 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,395 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,695 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,144 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,603 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,318 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,485 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,739 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,330 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,122 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,580 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,804 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,454 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili