LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have You Ever Used A Trainer for Your Dog
04-12-2013, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM by 4sweed.)
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
Star  Have You Ever Used A Trainer for Your Dog
A friend of mine told me they were having a hard time training there boxer to listen and so since advice from friends was not working they attended doggy school to teach the dog manners.
Some of the training was successful while at the classes, but at home the dog was still resisting their commands.

The trainer told them it was because the two of them were giving the dog mixed signals, the husband was firm with the dog and she was letting the dog do it's own thing cause she did not want to hurt it's feelings.
Now her husband is mad cause they wasted good money on the training and she is upset cause he thinks it's all her fault for being to soft.
Have you ever had this sort of thing happen, one too firm and the other to soft? Or have you paid for dog training?
Please share here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 06:59 PM,
RiF Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Have You Ever Used A Trainer for Your Dog
Actually I think that sort of thing happens for another reason entirely. You see, it is normal for the dog to consider only one member of the family the Alpha - although, if he is trained correctly, he'll still know he's in the base of the command chain and obey everyone. So what I'm saying here is that even with the woman doing things wrongly, the boxer should obey the man.

The problem here, I would bet, is that they let the dog be trained by someone else while they themselves got no training, so to speak. The owners need to learn how to manage their dog, not just let someone else do it for them - othewise what will happen is that the dog will only obey the trainer. The best classes are those in which the trainer gives orientation and the owners themselves teach their own dogs, so that their dogs learn who their master is in the process and the owners learn how to teach properly.
Find all posts by this user
04-18-2013, 05:08 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
I have to agree with RiF. We also had our chow undergo training at one point when she was a pup. She had on the onset kept nipping at the pants or shirt of or youngest child. We were concerned that she would continue doing this and perhaps the behavior might escalate as she grew older and heavier which could potentially be dangerous to our children. We got a trainer but our chow showed no behavior changes at home until our family members all agreed to change our behavior and work toward our common goal.
05-01-2013, 03:16 PM,
GavinMcresty Offline

We never used a trainer with any of our dogs. One of our dogs was reasonably well-behaved anyway. The worst thing she tended to do was eat rubbish (such as discarded food) on the street. Apart from that, she never really did anything exceptional. She was basically a very gentle, caring dog so we had no reason to get a trainer for her. One of our dogs probably needed training but we never did it. For one thing we had no money for such an enterprise. For another, I am not sure it would have helped much. Although she did not listen at all, I think it was more because she had such a small attention span and could be so easily distracted or frightened by loud noises. Even if she were trying to do something, if she heard a loud noise in the distance, it would confuse her and she would run off to either hide from it or investigate it. She did have aggression issues too but we always kept her on a leash when we took her for walks. Because of her excitability, she would probably not have been able to find her way back to us if she ran off.
05-10-2013, 03:44 PM,
amundy8 Offline

No, we have never hired a dog trainer for our dogs. I trained them myself. I learned from my dad who casually trained dogs. So far, we have not had any major problems with our dogs, but even if we did and needed to learn additional training, there Is always YouTube as an option. You can never really go wrong with that route, because if you don't like the tutorials, you can always search for one that suits you and your dog.
05-25-2013, 02:23 PM,
nafretiti Offline

Threads: 3
My dogs are not trained at all,although I have seven of them. Yes I understand that is a big number and hard to manage, I need to get them trained as they do not listen to me or anyone else when they go outside they tend to take off and we have to sit there and scream at them to get their attention. If dog training wasn't so expensive I would actually look into finding a place where they teach both the dog and the owner on how to give commands and what sort of voice to use,how to work with them at home and everything like that. Seems like some of the stories with people using dog trainers they didn't work out all that well, as far as the situation with the boxer in a previous post, I don't think that it is the woman's fault honestly,it is because they themselves were not trained on how to handle the dog together when they should of been both there and present through all the training courses.
05-28-2013, 05:46 AM,
jules0309 Offline

Threads: 1
Both of my dogs are not trained by professional trainers. We had one dog for a few years and she was always well behaved. However, when we got the younger one, I guess it's because we were not too firm with it but it would keep chewing anything it sees. Slippers,chargers and undergarments were fair game to him. After a few months however, it just outgrew its behaviour and is pretty well behaved too. I guess the stern warnings by my mother whenever it did something wrong helped too.
05-29-2013, 12:44 PM,
Kyama3 Offline

Threads: 2
I have never used a trainer for my dog no, this includes any pet actually. I have always had a firm belief that the person training the dog should also be close to the dog. This means that it should either be the owner, or someone that bonds with the dog on a regular basis. I think only a trainer would be necessary if the dog was mis-behaving a lot. My dog is not that well trained, but it never mis-behaves also. I think the main reason that a dog would need training is if was not only mis-behaving but was perhaps vicious. I think if an owner was to change the dogs diet, and walk it very often, then this would perhaps change the behaviour of the dog too. Often a dog does not behave in a good manner because it is not being looked after properly. This is not always the case, but certainly a lot of the times this will be the reason.
06-11-2013, 05:36 AM,
shae152 Offline

No i have never used a trainer for my dog. Ive thought about it at times but i would rather take credit for doing it myself. Hiring a trainer to train your dog can be beneficial, it can save you time, not so much money. It can make things a lot easier for you but i'd rather do it on my own considering the fact that im the owner.
07-11-2013, 10:07 AM,
concreteriver Offline

No, I wouldn't even consider hiring a trainer for my dog. You and your dog need to have mutual respect for each other, not for someone else. When I first got my yorkie, I tried to train her to go on news papers. She always missed, or she would just go anywhere in the house. Threw repetition of the word no I was able to make her understand that what she was doing wasn't what I wanted. Whenever she would go on the newspapers I would tell her yes, good girl and say it in a high pitched voice. Eventually she got the hang of it and with these two words I've been able to teach her a bunch of things. I think it's important for the owner to train the dog and not an outside source even if it does work.
07-24-2013, 12:15 PM,
Death2Housework Offline

Threads: 2
I've never used a trainer, and had no training myself beyond 4-H. I've always been lucky enough that I have a natural talent for it. My neighbor rescued a Basenji, but she was close to taking it to the shelter until I brought her home to my house for a few days. When I took her home, I just made sure my neighbor knew what to look for and how to correct it, or at least what I'd done to correct it. I think the couple with the Boxer has a bigger problem than the Boxer! I agree with some other posters in that a trainer is all find and dandy, but if you don't know how to use those steps outside of class, it's a waste of time and money.
08-16-2013, 05:13 AM,
bluekittymama Offline

Threads: 3
It's true that dogs have an alpha for their pack - and some will prefer one person over all others - but a well trained dog obeys all the humans in the pack. I've only taken one dog for training classes, but all my dogs are trained now. The trainer made it clear that she was training us, the humans, as much as the dogs in class. We learned how to respond to the dog's behavior and most importantly for everyone in the family to respond the same way and be consistent.

It could be that the lady in this isn't following through with the training - making the dog sit before being fed or petted for example - because she thinks she being nice to the dog. Some people try to treat their dog too human like and it's confusing for the dog. I would say that probably this isn't a case of dog that can't be trained, but instead is person that couldn't/wouldn't follow through with what they were taught.
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM,
Silverwolve Offline

Threads: 1
I have been able to train my dog since he was a pup. He is able to let us know when he has to go outside. I actually trained him to paw at the doorstop to let us know when he needs to go outside. When he paws on the doorstop, it makes a noise since it is basically a spring. He also knows to sit, lay down, and catch. He is also able to bring anything he can carry if you point at the item and tell him to bring it. I am particularly proud of that one.

One thing I have not been able to teach is to not attack other animals. I have a hard time keeping him still when unknown dogs try to get near as he always tries to attack them. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
08-22-2013, 11:12 AM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
I have never used a trainer, although sometimes I wish that I could and think that I should! I wish that I could get a handle on my Yorkies and their yappy annoying barking at every little noise. It definitely is worse if someone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell. I read in another post that someone suggested using a water bottle to spray them in the face. Seems harmless and easy enough. I may give that a try.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,839 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,168 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,695 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,144 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,318 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,485 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,739 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,330 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,122 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,580 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,804 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,454 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady