LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the homeless have pets?
11-17-2012, 05:32 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Should the homeless have pets?
The growing trend I'm seeing in my city here is the number of homeless people who have dogs (luckily no cats yet). It's despicable because I have seen homeless people sometimes have more than or change their dog at least once a month.

Unfortunately, we knew a homeless man who had a lovely, lovely mut named Casey. One day I got her food and she tore through that bag and ate everything within a few minutes. We were told that she died in the winter when he was sleeping in a shelter.

A year later, he has a new dog that will most likely die this winter.

It makes me sick.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2012, 08:15 AM,
Molly Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Should the homeless have pets?
I am going to stay on the positive side and say that a dog may indeed be the only friend a homeless person has. I knew a homeless man who said that books are his only friends and thought that was kind of sad. Many of the dogs who are owned by the street people and the homeless (at least in my city) do look healthy and well fed. I am not going to judge whether or not a homeless person should or should not have a dog. If the dog is not being cared for, then that person should not have a dog and that should be the rule, regardless if the person is homeless or a home owner. I just wish that every person (and every dog) had a home and that, there would be no more homeless.
11-17-2012, 12:44 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I am of two minds on this. While I don't think it's the best thing for the dog, I can understand if a person had a dog before becoming homeless and then could not separate from it. I know I would have a very hard time doing so.

Also, I wonder if some of these cases might be where a homeless person finds a stray. We know that in many cities there are dogs that have gotten loose from their homes or have been dumped by owners who don't care for them anymore. I wonder if these homeless pairs bond and sort of help each other survive. They become a back because they both have nowhere to go.
11-23-2012, 01:14 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(11-17-2012, 08:15 AM)Molly Wrote: I am going to stay on the positive side and say that a dog may indeed be the only friend a homeless person has. I knew a homeless man who said that books are his only friends and thought that was kind of sad. Many of the dogs who are owned by the street people and the homeless (at least in my city) do look healthy and well fed. I am not going to judge whether or not a homeless person should or should not have a dog. If the dog is not being cared for, then that person should not have a dog and that should be the rule, regardless if the person is homeless or a home owner. I just wish that every person (and every dog) had a home and that, there would be no more homeless.

I second the motion. Most homeless people I've seen taking care of dogs have relatively healthier dogs than the one living in average to poor living conditions. At least the dogs get to be with their person. This is a lot better than seeing dogs being chained or caged in beautiful homes.

This said, I agree with your comment 100%. I firmly believe that people who are unable to take care of dogs or show a decency of compassion and responsibility to their animal charges should not have pets.

And I too, wish for homes for the homeless.
11-23-2012, 02:01 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
I know this may seem like a rough life for pet, its also a rough life for the homeless person as well. However, sometimes the pet is the only friend this person has. Their only true companion, I have seen a few homeless people with pets, and from what I saw these pets were well cared for and loved their master. So, I can't complain about this, because these type of life can be very lonely, and this pet is probably the only person they have.
11-28-2012, 11:10 PM,
louise1341 Offline

Threads: 1
Most people forget that dogs are able to cope with living outside and can deal with bad weather up to a certain point. I would never begrudge a homeless person the comfort (and possible protection) of owning a dog but it does beg the question of whether or not the dog is being cared for properly. However a lot of these dogs are strays which have been adopted by homeless people and otherwise they would more than likely have been put to sleep if they had been handed into the authorities. Being with your master and being loved has to be better than nothing or better than being left alone all day whilst your master is at work!
11-30-2012, 01:40 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Yes, I have seen homeless people with dogs. There was one man who was not quite right in the head. He scavenged for food in the trash cans along the roadside. There was a dog with him. The dog didn't seem to mind that the man was not quite right in the head.

No, I don't grudge homeless people having dogs. After the dogs they have are just as homeless as the people. I like to think that they keep each other company and make life seem less miserable.
12-02-2012, 09:43 AM,
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
I think it depends on the personality of the dog. If the dog is a scavenger himself and can find ways to feed itself, then by all means, it can live in the wild along with a homeless person. But if the dog is very dependent-based, then I would say no. I have seen homeless people with either more than one dog, or a newly puppy every time they are running the corner. I have no idea what their back-story is. I really don't want to think negatively on what are happening to the animals, but I have seen it once or twice while driving down the same street per week.
12-16-2012, 05:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2012, 05:03 AM by PMom.)
PMom Offline

Threads: 3
I think this all depends on the person. For some homeless, that dog gives a purpose in life. The dog must be fed and is a warm companion on a cold night.

If the dog is scrawny and obviously not being fed, then certainly the local animal control should be called to check on the dog. But if the animal is well-fed and seems happy, that homeless person, no matter how awful they may look, is probably taking better care of their pet than themselves.

In addition, a large dog may be protection for the man or woman. Sleeping on the streets, or in a car, is not safe in many cities, yet what choice do they have? In some cases, the dog may be the reason the person is on the streets. Many shelters don't allow pets and if it's a choice between a bed or the dog, some would choose the dog. As a dog lover who's lived in some pretty marginal neighborhoods because the landlord allowed pets, I can't be mad at a person for caring more about their dog than themselves.
12-16-2012, 05:55 AM,
themdno Offline

Threads: 0
I don't think just being homeless should disqualify you from having a dog, but it should be if you take care of the dog. If the dog is healthy(relatively) and being fed, then let the homeless person have their dog.

A dog can be such a close companion, and really can be your best friend. People that are homeless, are very alone, and to have that type of companionship could make all the difference in their world.
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM by SweetBeast.)
SweetBeast Offline

(11-17-2012, 05:32 AM)andrew320 Wrote: The growing trend I'm seeing in my city here is the number of homeless people who have dogs (luckily no cats yet). It's despicable because I have seen homeless people sometimes have more than or change their dog at least once a month.

Unfortunately, we knew a homeless man who had a lovely, lovely mut named Casey. One day I got her food and she tore through that bag and ate everything within a few minutes. We were told that she died in the winter when he was sleeping in a shelter.

A year later, he has a new dog that will most likely die this winter.

It makes me sick.

What do you think?

Sad story to be sure, but I think you're wrong in this case.

I see far, I mean far more people with homes, suits, Mercedes, who have neglected & abused dogs than homeless people. I do a lot of volunteer work & I have done this for many, many years, so I know whereof I speak.

As some have said, dogs can adapt so my guess is this poor dog most likely passed due to an illness due to lack of vaccinations. I know of many homeless & I shop for a little food for them & their dog & have seen the same people & their dogs for a few years or longer.

No, I firmly believe it matters of the heart, not the home, or lack thereof.

May all homeless, be they of the 2 or 4 legged species find permanent homes...
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM,
LovingMyBabies Offline
Registered

I think homeless people that have pets are VERY selfish! I also know of one that has a dog and it ticks me off. That poor dog is always hungry and cold in the winter time. I really think they should give their dog to someone who can properly take care of it. How unfair for the poor dog to suffer! They did not ask for that kind of life... =( It breaks my heart!
01-04-2013, 06:04 PM,
SweetBeast Offline

And as I said previously, I have seen far more rich people, with Mercedes & suits, mistreat their dogs. And many of the dogs that homeless have, were far worse off than before these folks adopted them as many of the dogs were abandonded by people with homes, & the dogs were strays, living in river bottoms, near starving, etc.

Is this ideal? Of course not, for both the animal & human but it could always be worse.

I also feel bad for the folks who live on the streets & do what little I can to help them with a little food, clothing & some basic medicine as tylenol, bandages & antiseptic spray.
01-05-2013, 08:01 AM,
BugM Offline

I think there are way too many variables to consider to say a definite yes or no. It's hard for me to say no, when the person could be taking very good care of their dog, and it's hard for me to say yes, when it's possible the person is mistreating him. There are people who have homes and plenty of money who abuse their dogs, and there are strays out there that would be happy with any companion at all. Who is to say that a homeless person doesn't deserve a dog? It's not about whether or not their homeless, it's about whether or not they take care of their companion. Generalizing that all homeless people are selfish or horrible people to their dogs is ridiculous and stupid. It depends on both the dog and the person and not the state of their homelessness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marijuana to pets for Medical purposes? Daniela853 5 2,289 12-30-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: PaulReidG
  Pets and wild animals Happyflowerlady 1 2,261 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: terrismalls
  Don’t Forget Our Pets during the Storm Snowflakes 2 2,764 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Miranda Boldari
  Pamper Your Pets on National Dog Day! Snowflakes 0 2,059 08-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
Photo Dining Out With Your Pets in California Snowflakes 0 1,442 08-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Dog Invention - Connect with your pets from anywhere GDri 3 2,534 06-30-2014, 02:26 AM
Last Post: JudyCap
  Common houseplants that are dangerous to pets. Happyflowerlady 0 1,637 04-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  How does your dog get along with other pets in your home? A0130 5 3,149 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Last Post: tierapatt50
Heart Do you buy birthday or Christmas gifts for your pets? ACSAPA 11 5,579 09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Last Post: SunshineInABag