LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next pet you planning to get?
06-06-2012, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
What is the next pet you planning to get?
More fish for my aquariums of course. Big Grin
I think I will first try to give away most of my second generation Neon Rainbowfish, then I can have room for increase the size of the schools of my Cardinal Tetra to 15, Harlequin Rasbora to 10, Otocinclus Catfish to 6.

After that is done, I will probably get a halfmoon betta for the 5.5 gallon.

So that is my plan for near future. In the long run, I might get a talking bird. Smile

What pet(s) do you plan to get?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 11:22 AM,
Iconic Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: What is the next pet you planning to get?
I plan on buying a new cockatiel to join my many. This one I want is a whiteface, pearl pied. Big Grin

[Image: whitefaced_pearl_pied_cockatiel_card-p13...r3_400.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Threads: 9
One day I would love to have a New Caledonian Giant Gecko, such as this one I found on Google Images:
[Image: Pine+Isle+Leachies.jpg]

Next pet I am actually planning to get, however, isn't as large; it's a particular morph of leopard (or giant leopard) gecko. Much easier to acquire than a new caledonian, haha.
06-06-2012, 03:24 PM,
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
Wow, I've never seen a New Caledonian Giant Gecko and I've actually been to New Caledonia. Maybe next time I'll try and see if I can find one.

The next pet I'll get will probably be a dog in a few years time. I'd love to own a pet but for the next few years I'll be travelling extensively and I know it wouldn't be fair on the pet.

My dad is however thinking of buying a turtle. They make fascinating, unusual pets but of course potential owners must be willing and able to commit to owning a turtle for 50 years. So perhaps I'll share a turtle with my dad while I live with him and take on the ownership once he's older.
06-08-2012, 01:32 AM,
twinsmommy Offline

We are looking at getting some of those tiny little turtles. The kids are obsessed with them but we have a cat so I am not sure how he would feel about the new additions. He is pretty territorial about "his" house.
06-08-2012, 06:36 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
(06-08-2012, 01:32 AM)twinsmommy Wrote: We are looking at getting some of those tiny little turtles. The kids are obsessed with them but we have a cat so I am not sure how he would feel about the new additions. He is pretty territorial about "his" house.

I'm not sure where you live, but many states in the US, and some other countries too, have banned the sale of turtles under 4". All reptiles are prone to carry small amounts of salmonella in their digestive systems, and normally out really isn't that big of an issue. But as aquatic turtles generally defecate in their water, the salmonella can grow to a high level fairly quickly in the water. Meaning that the turtle can basically end up covered in it. And allot of those turtles were bought for young children, and children and toddlers can have a tendency to put things in their mouths, and are also at a higher risk of salmonella infections.

I'm never one for talking someone out of a reptile as a pet, but just wanted to add that as something to think about. As long as you filter and clean the water regally, and supervise young children, and make sure they don't put them in their mouths and wash their hands, all of the risk is eliminated.
06-09-2012, 04:01 AM,
twinsmommy Offline

(06-08-2012, 06:36 AM)Fishbone Wrote: I'm not sure where you live, but many states in the US, and some other countries too, have banned the sale of turtles under 4".

Hmm...I guess I will have to look into that. Their friend has a small turtle that is under 4", that's where they got the idea. I will check.

As for the salmonella issue, my kids are well above the age where they put things in their mouths any more and since mommy is a "clean freak" they know to wash their hands often lol. I think we are safe in that department.

Thank you for the information. We are still in the "thinking about it" stage so I will do some more checking around.
06-09-2012, 08:57 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Well, as long as they are past the"putting things in their mouth" stage, and everyone washes their hands after playing with them, they make great pets. Big Grin I just wanted to put that out there is all. As for the regulations it varies all over the place. Here in florida, they can only be sold for "educational & research" type purposes. But there are private pet stores that will sell them if you sign a wavier. Some places they are outright illegal, and some places there are no restrictions at all.
06-10-2012, 04:21 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Ok, so I have been thinking of how to answer this question. Because, you know, my zoo and I would never plan on getting any more animals.

I am going to get a savannah at some point. Preferably an F1, or an animal from an F1xF1 breeding.

A blue tree monitor. Maybe a green, black, &/or yellow tree monitor too, but blue is on top of the list.

A boelens python, could be called the holy grail of python keeping.

a white lipped python, mostly looking for a southern, or black phase, but I would like a northern golden phase as well.
06-10-2012, 04:56 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
An F1 savannah cat will cost you an arm or a leg. Big Grin

When is this "at some point"? I look forward to see you share some photos and videos, as well as experience. I might get one too eventually. I don't see myself owning one within 5 years.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 02:43 PM,
Fishbone Offline

I don't have an exact timeline. We've been taking about the savannah for years now. It will after we move into a bigger house for one, and when wet have more disposable income. Same with the boelens. (that is my dream snake at this point.)
06-16-2012, 05:44 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Growing up, I had a dog and fish. Since my fiancee and I moved in together, I've had the honor and pleasure of helping looking after these two adorable cats.

Although we do agree that we would get a dog in a few years, either a Basset Hound, a Beagle or a rescue mut, I would love to get a hamster (or if I lived on big land, a monkey, a horse and pigs.
06-16-2012, 05:12 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(06-06-2012, 03:24 PM)tajnz Wrote: Wow, I've never seen a New Caledonian Giant Gecko and I've actually been to New Caledonia. Maybe next time I'll try and see if I can find one.

The next pet I'll get will probably be a dog in a few years time. I'd love to own a pet but for the next few years I'll be travelling extensively and I know it wouldn't be fair on the pet.

My dad is however thinking of buying a turtle. They make fascinating, unusual pets but of course potential owners must be willing and able to commit to owning a turtle for 50 years. So perhaps I'll share a turtle with my dad while I live with him and take on the ownership once he's older.

Since you are planning on traveling, a small snake might be an ideal traveling companion. They are quite easy to hide away, I think. Plus, the last I checked, they don't eat that much. Also the sight of a snake around your neck while you are sleeping should deter a lot of unwanted intruders.
07-23-2012, 04:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2012, 04:28 AM by mora2000.)
mora2000 Offline

I'm 12 so it's hard to get approval from my parents to get another pet since I just got a rabbit a few weeks ago. I also have to take into account that it probably wouldn't be the smartest idea to get something that lives solely outdoors since we live in the country and we have coyotes, but I have actually done research on chickens, goats and sheep. My parents are fine with them because chickens give my mom eggs, and the goats and sheep would keep the grass and brush down...

I also have a best friend that I have been talking with about getting a terrier together. Her parents are fine with it and mine are too as long as the dog is at her house. We are going to split the cost Smile.
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-23-2012, 02:22 PM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
The next pet I'm planning to get is an adopted shelter cat. Maybe if my cat Dolores had a friend ,she would be less of a grouch. I also would like another goldfish to keep my other fish company.

Basically I want to get pets for my pets, so they won't be lonely when I'm out.
07-23-2012, 08:02 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
My next pet?

I think I will try to get a monkey. Actually I am thinking more like a whole family of monkeys. Specifically I want to breed them. The one I am interested in is the Pic-Tailed Macaque. This monkey is used to pluck coconuts. However they have never been bred for this purpose. All the coconut-plucking monkeys that I have seen were taken from the jungle. I think if they are properly bred and properly trained, they can be very useful.
[Image: SuperStock_4201-75611.jpg]
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Wow, macaques? That's ambitious, to say the least! I'm impressed. That's the sort of pet I couldn't dream of having enough money for and caring for properly. Really, really, really cool.
06-09-2013, 07:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013, 07:52 PM by ReneLeBeau.)
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
I currently have my two cats, and they're a handful, so I don't plan on taking any pets soon. But there are some pets I would like to keep, it would depend on my situation which one I would choose. If I lived in a house with a yard, I would love to have a tortoise. I would probably also rescue a dog or two from the streets, it really breaks my heart when they follow me and I have nowhere to take them to. My boyfriend really loves crabs, so maybe we'll have some crabs in the future. Smile He also like insects and talks about having a room full of big terrariums, but I'm not sure if he's serious Big Grin
07-03-2013, 01:48 AM,
Buffy Offline

Threads: 3
I don't know yet, but hopefully one I can't get really attached to. It hurts so bad to lose a pet....I really don't want to go through that heartbreak again, but my partner is hinting for another dog. I wonder if any breeds are more independent and less likely to get attached to, although I have a friend who grieves still for his 8 year old goldfish who passed away, so I'm thinking it's impossible to have a pet and not get really attached to it.
07-10-2013, 01:22 AM,
Amalia Offline

(06-06-2012, 11:22 AM)Iconic Wrote: I plan on buying a new cockatiel to join my many. This one I want is a whiteface, pearl pied. Big Grin

[Image: whitefaced_pearl_pied_cockatiel_card-p13...r3_400.jpg]

Wow, it's beautiful! I never had one that looked like this and now I definitely want one! Clap I have them on yellow, green and blue but never one like this. I hope I will find one on the market, although I know the people who have cockatiels in my area and nobody has something like that.

I always want another pet, but there's no space left, so unless it lives in an aquarium, I can't afford to keep another one. I want a Golden retriever but now it's really not the time. I also want a scorpion but I need to think it through Smile
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM,
Tribie Offline

Threads: 5
I'm planning to get a female dachshund next year when we move to a bigger place. I would like my current dachshund named Benjie to have a partner. I've been wanting this for a long time but we don't have the space for another dog right now. We have decided to move next year because we are getting crowded in our current home and we would like Benjie to have a better life. Majority of the time, Benjie just stays inside our house. We don't have a garden so we can't let him stay outside. He only goes out when my husband walks him. The house that we are transferring to will have a front and back yard. Benjie and his future partner will have plenty of space to run, play and have a good life.
08-17-2013, 07:24 AM,
alycat32 Offline

This house currently has a calico cat named Boba, and two large Oscar fish in a huge aquarium. My husband is just itching to get a chocolate lab, but we need to hold off until we get a place with more room and an actual yard. He grew up with a loyal chocolate lab that would follow him everywhere.

My son has been walking a neighbors cocker spaniel while they are away on vacation and its really causing my husband to have " puppy" fever. It's important we hold off though. We just don't have the room.
08-30-2013, 02:37 AM,
glitteringfuzz Offline

Threads: 4
I would love to just adopt a dog that has already been trained! i have a baby and I would feel safer where I live with a dog, but I don't know if it's safe to adopt a dog who was raised by another owner like that. Maybe someone can provide some insight on that. Smile

But to answer the question, I want a dog so bad!
08-31-2013, 04:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013, 05:00 PM by Happyflowerlady.)
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
(08-30-2013, 02:37 AM)glitteringfuzz Wrote: I would love to just adopt a dog that has already been trained! i have a baby and I would feel safer where I live with a dog, but I don't know if it's safe to adopt a dog who was raised by another owner like that. Maybe someone can provide some insight on that. Smile

I think that adopting a dog that is already an adult is a great idea, especially since you have a small baby. Puppies, no matter how sweet natured they are, are still just a puppy , and will want to play with the baby , and could unintentionally hurt your child. However, an adult dog usually knows somehow that they need to be very careful around a small child or baby.
Also, an adult dog will be able to be a guard dog for you right away, whereas a puppy is not going to be much use as a guard dog for almost a whole year while he is growing up . And while he is a puppy, he would need a lot of training and attention, so you would have to be spending a lot of time training the puppy and it would take away your time to spend with the baby, so you would have a lot more work to do.
I would recommend getting a medium size dog, and one with short hair, or at least not one with really long hair. (They also need a lot more grooming and you will have hair all over and a baby crawling. Around in it)
A small dog is not going to be a lot of protection for you, and they are often nippy with children.
However, a large dog can easily bump into a small child and knock them over, without meaning to.
And it is going to be living in an apartment, so you don't want a high-energy dog, like a terrier.

I know that is a lot to think about, but hopefully, it will help you to choose just the right dog for your family.
09-02-2013, 11:38 PM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
(08-30-2013, 02:37 AM)glitteringfuzz Wrote: I would love to just adopt a dog that has already been trained! i have a baby and I would feel safer where I live with a dog, but I don't know if it's safe to adopt a dog who was raised by another owner like that. Maybe someone can provide some insight on that. Smile

Happyflowerlady gave you some great advice, but in my opinion, you should wait a few more years before adopting a dog. Dogs, even adult ones, need a lot of attention, regular walks and they can be pretty pricey. It might become really difficult to balance two needy family members at the same time. After a couple of years your child can play with the dog as well, and you can all go on walks together, so time management would be a lot easier.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,017 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,625 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,175 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,438 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,175 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,178 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57