LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the dog vomits
05-29-2016, 02:25 PM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
When the dog vomits
My experience with our first dog is the tendency to vomit. We used to live in a rented house with a backyard and front yard garden which when unkempt breeds insects and pests. Even when she was a puppy, Jedi would vomit once in a while. That would cause a short visit to the vet who would give medication to control the vomiting. When the trips to the vet became frequent, my husband made an inquiry with a dog breeder.

Aside from the food given to the dog, it is natural to get microbes that would irritate the throat or the upper intestines. That's may be the reason why the dog vomits. But that is only a temporary condition since the immunity of the dog would drown the microbe or germs. However, there are strains of bacteria that can cause the stomach to revolt and that's when we would need antibiotic. So the rule of thumb is to give the dog sugared water and observe. If the vomiting continues then a medication is necessary. In our experience, the simple irritation can be remedied with sugared water.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2016, 11:08 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
RE: When the dog vomits
I have observed that vomiting in dogs is a common occurrence. It seems to be a physiological mechanism of the gut to clean itself especially if the dog has ingested something not suited to the gut. You know that dogs are carnivores and the habit of eating cooked food and vegetables came as a result of domestication. A major cause of vomiting is when a dog has eaten quite a little bit of food too fast. If could also have ingested a noxious indigestible product that elicits discomfort. Other causes of vomiting include gastrointestinal parasites and other vermin which may cause inflammation. Do you take your dog for periodic examination? I pose this question because vomiting can also be caused by other serious conditions like cancer or liver diseases. I have observed that dogs eat grass as a prelude to vomiting and then continues with normal feeding activities, there should be no cause for alarm. Vomit can also become acute when there is nothing in the stomach to throw up save for bile which is a green yellowish liquid. Monitoring is essential because a pattern of vomiting would point to a serious condition.
06-02-2016, 05:16 PM,
maryannballeras Offline

Threads: 0
Our first dog vomited once when she first moved into our house. I didn't know what we did wrong at that time, we were just feeding her the right dog food, but she still vomited some yellow stuff. I researched about it and have found out that it might have been because of stress. She might have been stressed when she moved in because she was suddenly exposed to a different environment. Fortunately for our second dog, it didn't happen to her when she first moved in.
06-08-2016, 04:30 AM,
heavymetalkilos Offline

Our dog tends to vomit whenever we feed her the food she doesn't like, or is overall bad for her stomach. It's not uncommon for her to do so, that's why we're always kind of prepared to push away everything that would get on her way since we can recognize the symptoms. We always try to watch brands, and what type of food to feed her, to prevent that from happening - sometimes we go wrong and she ends up vomiting on our carpet. You can't really blame her since we're the ones who give her what to eat. It's also good for us not to put her into situations where she gets anxious because it can easily affect on her stomach.
07-01-2016, 03:06 AM,
cecejailer Offline

Threads: 1
Sometimes my dog vomits with for no apparent reason. She doesn't even make any noise, we just find or accidentally step in a vomit puddle... It never seems to be because of food, she tends to do this when she's stressed or bothered about something. Sometimes I wonder if she does this on purpose. She has this habit of peeing/pooping in the wrong place when we don't give her food or leave her alone longer than she's used to. Also, sometimes she starts choking and when we run to help, she stops immediately. It's like she does it for attention.
07-09-2016, 01:10 PM,
TheaR Offline

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that simple solution. I have noted my dogs vomiting occasionally and could tell they had an upset stomach. It is quite common to see both the dogs and the cat self medicate by eating certain grass. I've always observed that tendency in our pets from I was a child, so we tend not to worry too much unless things look serious and as if they aren't doing too well. Even then the first aim is to try and figure out what could be causing the problem. At one point we realized that frogs were cooling off the dog's (one dog at the time) water pan and whatever it left there would irritate her. We'd wash her pan and set clean water everyday and set it at a height she could reach, but the next morning the water was all dirty and yucky with frog poo and sometimes their shed skin. Sugared water... Interesting!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,784 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,166 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,693 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,140 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,313 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,186 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,478 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,731 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,323 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,111 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,576 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,800 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,434 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,900 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,487 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady