LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your childhood animal hero?
02-24-2012, 10:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012, 10:45 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Tongue  Who is your childhood animal hero?
I still remember the good old days when I watched some of the TV series of a dog character - Lassie. The show named after the dog.

Lassie was the main character of the live TV series, and the star. In the show, he saved countless humans and other animals. He would lead the rescue team to the people who need help. He would fight off dangerous wild animals (eagle, mountain lion) to save other weaker animals. In one episode, he helped to solve the case of theft by catching a chimpanzee who's been stealing a lot lol.

For more information on the series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie_%281..._series%29

Any others have such childhood animal hero? lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2012, 11:34 PM,
bw Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Who is your childhood animal hero?
For me it was Lassie and Rin Tin Tin. Of course there were also the horses, Fury and Flicka.
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2012, 02:53 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

You have a much longer list of childhood animal heroes than me. Smile

02-26-2012, 01:06 PM,
bw Offline

I've always liked animals, a lot!
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(02-26-2012, 01:06 PM)bw Wrote: I've always liked animals, a lot!

Me too!

It takes a good TV show or movie to create a hero. Not many animals are the main characters though.

I also remember there was a two parts movie without a single human being in there lol. All characters were real animals.
The story was about someone stole a key component in the power plant of the animal kingdom, which caused a blackout throughout the kingdom.
A chimpanzee was the detective to solve the case. There were hitman in there too, of course another animal character haha.

It was fun for a kids' movie. Too bad I don't remember the name of the movie.

Have you seen any live animal character only movies?

02-27-2012, 11:35 PM,
bw Offline

I guess the closest I came was Homeward Bound. There were people in it but it was mostly two dogs and a cat.
07-14-2012, 01:44 AM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
I never had a specific live-action animal hero that I liked in my childhood, just animated ones like Mighty Mouse and Underdog ("There's no need to fear,Underdog is here.") My daughter's favorite animated animal hero is Sonic the Hedgehog -the blue blur. the fastest thing alive.

As far as live action animal heroes go, I just cry like an idiot when they air those Animal Planet segments about dogs that save human lives by licking a human's face to keep them conscious ,or animals that save other animals ,like the cat that adopted puppies and nursed them when their mother was stolen. Bawling
07-14-2012, 05:36 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
I loved Lassie too! He was the BEST! I remember there was a white lion cartoon - I think it was called Kimba or something. I loved that lion! I also always liked Mr Ed, the talking horse. He was very smart and I always wished I could have a horse like him! Then there was Flipper, the smartest, wisest dolphin! I loved that show too!
07-14-2012, 06:59 AM,
thetit4n Offline

Threads: 3
I am a little young I guess, but it was Underdog!
07-15-2012, 10:43 PM,
louise1341 Offline

Threads: 1
I used to love watching Gentle Ben when I was a child and I honestly couldn't understand why my parents laughed when I said I wanted a pet bear! It made perfect sense to me (I think I was about five at the time) and the fact that Bears are generally quite scarey never really occurred to me.

When I was a little older I changed my mind though and decided that the coolest pet ever would be a Timber Wolf! It wasn't quite a crazy as the bear idea as my Dad had a friend who had a Wolf/Dog hybrid who was having pups (cubs?) but again my parents were mean and wouldn't let me have one ... thank Goodness!
10-01-2012, 10:14 AM,
nick87 Offline

Threads: 5
(02-27-2012, 11:35 PM)bw Wrote: I guess the closest I came was Homeward Bound. There were people in it but it was mostly two dogs and a cat.
I saw that movie when I was about 5 years old. I don't remember it, but my mom claims that while watching the movie I started crying, and when she asked me why I was crying, I said "BECAUSE THE ANIMALS ARE LOST AND WANNA GO HOME!"

...They were manly tears. Hide
10-03-2012, 01:54 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I loved Lassie, too. That was a great show.

I think I would have to say Flipper was my favorite animal hero. I was always amazed at how the two boys could communicate with Flipper. Flipper certainly got a lot done despite not being able to get out of the water.

I am not sure these would be considered heroes. But, I loved Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar. Also, there was a book I read in elementary school called "Champion Dog, Prince Tom". I had a copy of it and wore it out from reading it so many times. It was the true story of Tom, a Cocker Spaniel, who could do all sorts of neat tricks. I can still remember that he could push a baby stroller.
10-06-2012, 01:17 AM,
pafjlh Offline

I guess I would have to go with Lassie as well. Would watch the show every afternoon after school. It always had a heartwarming feel to it. I remember my younger sister always in tears during every episode because it could be so heartwarming.
10-12-2012, 04:44 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Lassie... that's Cesar Milan's inspiration back when he was a little boy. I'm a Benji person. I just love that she's a tiny little dog. The last movie I saw starring Benji was when she got marooned with a couple of baby cubs whose mommy got shot. What made this film so beautiful was the fact that the dog didn't talk (like the ones we often see nowadays). The tensions, joy, and emotions in the movie relied on how they captured Benji in film and the cue music which played all throughout the movie.

You can actually watch the entire movie in Youtube.

10-14-2012, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM by teamrose.)
teamrose Offline

Threads: 4
For me it was Trigger. That was probably the smartest horse ever. When you think of how many times all Roy Rogers had to do was whistle and trigger was right there... I remember once Roy was shot and fell in a river, good ole Trigger manged to pull him out of the river, wet a rag and revive Roy. I was looking for Trigger to do mouth-to-mouth.
10-16-2012, 04:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-16-2012, 04:46 AM by sandooch.)
sandooch Offline

Threads: 9
Another vote for Lassie here, too. Oh, how I wanted a Collie growing up, with that beautiful long, flowing, coat of fur. I think most kids in that era did.

If I had to choose another animal hero that I wanted and would never be able to have, it would be Flipper. I loved dolphins with all my heart and still do. My dream for my upcoming 50th birthday is to swim with dolphins. It is actually possible to do this in San Diego at Sea World, but it costs quite a bit to do. Unfortunately, right now is a very stressful financial time with my husband starting his own business. So that dream is out of the question. Maybe for my 51st birthday. (sigh)
12-04-2012, 03:12 AM,
Molly Offline

Actually my animal heroes were my stuffed animals. My favorite was my stuffed Koala and then, also my stuffed Panda. I guess there were more personal to me than the animals on TV. My parents didn't get a TV until I was 10 years old and so, my early memories of my favorite animals were my own stuffed animals. We didn't get a pet until I was older.

As far as a TV animal hero, I would agree that Lassie is my favorite TV animal hero.
12-06-2012, 11:01 PM,
rob55 Offline
Registered

heyy my hero was the tom, i like to see him when i got time. and jerry also was my hero.
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
(02-24-2012, 10:43 PM)Ram Wrote: I still remember the good old days when I watched some of the TV series of a dog character - Lassie. The show named after the dog.

Lassie was the main character of the live TV series, and the star. In the show, he saved countless humans and other animals. He would lead the rescue team to the people who need help. He would fight off dangerous wild animals (eagle, mountain lion) to save other weaker animals. In one episode, he helped to solve the case of theft by catching a chimpanzee who's been stealing a lot lol.

For more information on the series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie_%281..._series%29

Any others have such childhood animal hero? lol
Wow, you still can remember the plot of what your animal hero do in the movie. My animal hero is also a dog named pince, he also saved a lot of people in some emergences in the movie. But i can't remember the detials of how he saved those people who in dilemma. Untill now, one thing i still remember is that he is cool,haha.
12-08-2012, 02:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM by SweetBeast.)
SweetBeast Offline

My animals heroes were first & foremost, all my pets up to present day - oh how I miss them so.....

As far as TV animals, I would agree with most here; Lassie & Flipper, but the horses Champion & Trigger were amazing!

I am sure all of us Lassie fans can still whistle that theme song !

In films it is without question, Tao & Luath ! You Incredible Journey fans will understand why! I won't say in case there's anyone who has yet to see it.

Gandhi: " The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress, can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
My favorite childhood animal hero would have to be Buddy the golden retriever. I remember I would sit by the tv and
wait for the movie to come on. I actually consider this a show because i re watched the movie as if it was a series of some kind.
It was one of my favorite memories to look back on because during that time I knew I needed to have a pet in my life.
The show inspired me to.
02-09-2013, 03:07 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
When I was a kid, I loved a Disney movie called The Cat from Outer Space. For those not familiar with it, it's a fun little movie from the 1970s about an alien cat who ends up stranded on Earth and needs help to repair his ship. He has a special light up collar that helps him communicate with humans (among other things). The cat, Jake (aka Zunar J-5/9 Doric 4-7), was my animal hero. We even ended up naming a cat after him.
02-09-2013, 03:24 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
I loved Lassie as well. My favorite show in the series was when Lassie, accidently got lost far from home after going into a big delievery truck. Timmy was so sad, until the day Lassie came bounding over the hill and was home again. I think I cried over that show it was so moving. Wish I could have a copy of it I would love to watch it again.
If i had to answer in the way of books it would be "White Fang," or "Call of the Wild," or "Lassie.'
Another book I really love is "Winderdance" by Gary Paulsen. It is a true story. If you like humor this book will have you laughing so hard you will be in tears. He was training sled dogs to run the Iditarod, and never before owned a sled dog and the methods he uses will amaze you. His wife never knew if he would get home alive or in one piece, for often they ran hundreds of miles before turning back to go home. But he did get them trained and ran that race many times until his health problems caused him to quit racing.
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM,
ChanellG Offline

I can't say that I ever had an animal as a hero when I was a child, but I do remember loving the Benji movies. Lassie was a bit before my time, and I don't think I ever even heard of Rin Tin Tin until I was almost an adult. Then again, when I was really young I loved Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang, so maybe I did have one after all.
02-19-2013, 06:33 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
(07-14-2012, 01:44 AM)ACSAPA Wrote: I never had a specific live-action animal hero that I liked in my childhood, just animated ones like Mighty Mouse and Underdog ("There's no need to fear,Underdog is here.") My daughter's favorite animated animal hero is Sonic the Hedgehog -the blue blur. the fastest thing alive.

As far as live action animal heroes go, I just cry like an idiot when they air those Animal Planet segments about dogs that save human lives by licking a human's face to keep them conscious ,or animals that save other animals ,like the cat that adopted puppies and nursed them when their mother was stolen. Bawling
Yes!All those animal shows on the Animal Planet make me cry continuously. Even when they air the happy moments I seem to cry even more. it is just so touching to see how much care and love they have! I always have a box of kleenex near me at all times(haha).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Animal In The World As A Pet 4sweed 20 7,170 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Eating with your animal Laura 28 10,545 06-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Last Post: maryannballeras
  Carnivore or herbivore? Which animal make better pets? Ram 4 4,775 05-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  Do you give to animal charities? Pocs 25 9,856 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Danyel72
  Cooking for your animal? Laura 11 5,434 03-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Do You Have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) pftsusan 7 6,687 01-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Last Post: nomibucha
  Witnessing an animal's death Mantis 27 12,716 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Last Post: nomibucha
  A Letter from a Gas Chamber Man in an Animal Shelter MythsDreams 1 3,370 01-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Ram
  Homeless Animal Day + raising shelter money Jessi 2 3,030 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: footballtim
  Is your pet a service animal? Tasha 2 2,959 06-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Tasha
  Genetic engineered pets or animal in general Ram 7 5,152 04-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Fishbone