LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
new Dog Owner
05-02-2015, 08:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 08:04 PM by pmahez.)
pmahez Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
new Dog Owner
Hi all..
I am planning to get new dog for first time..

My Doubts are...

I am living in small apartment and myself and my wife are daily 8 hours work.. can you guys please suggest the best suited breed for our situation...

And what are the problems and difficulties in have dog in home for first time..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2015, 09:13 AM,
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
RE: new Dog Owner
Hey there!

Congratulations on wanting to be a dog owner for the first time. It's truly an experience that you will never forget! I can see why you would be having doubts to adopt a dog. First off, I think you should probably wait it out until both you and your wife have time to be with an animal in your house. If both of you are working throughout the day and you both live in a small apartment, it may not be a suitable environment for the dog. Dogs need a lot of attention and room no matter the size that they are. Especially if you are adopting a dog now, you can't just adopt and leave him or her in a new atmosphere. It will shock them and cause them to go through depression or separation anxiety because they were with other dogs and/or people all the time when in the pound. I think right now your only problem and difficulties is finding time for your dog if you are wanting one. Some people fix this by adopting two dogs instead of one, but because you and your wife are brand new to the dog-owning scene, I would recommend waiting.
05-09-2015, 04:21 AM,
pmahez Offline
Registered

Thank you for your valuable suggestions
05-26-2015, 06:05 AM,
Jelly Offline

New dog is like a new baby in your home.. how can you groom, take care and enjoy with your baby if you are not at home dear?
Wait a little more Smile
06-08-2015, 08:56 PM,
Aradhya Offline

Threads: 0
Agree with the Bloomsie, this is not the correct time for you to adopt a dog. Your lifestyle doesn’t sound good for a dog. but if you still want to adopt a dog then Coton de Tulear is good choice for you. This is small but solid dog breed that requires low maintenance in terms of exercise and grooming. Coton de Tulear is not prone to getting separation anxiety and is therefore less likely to develop destructive behaviour for and bark excessively. For more information about this breed you can refer http://www.petsworld.in/blog/coton-de-tu...breed.html
06-09-2015, 12:50 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
It sounds as though your lifestyle isn't exactly a perfect match for a dog (maybe a nice independent, fuss-free cat?) but it doesn't mean it's impossible. Instead of looking for a particular breed or trying to get a puppy.....
Check with rescue and foster groups!
Here's why: They could possibly have an older dog who sleeps most of the day away anyways, doesn't require much exercise and would be a good match for you. You never know! If you get your info to them and a dog perfect for you comes across they would probably let you know and you could be a part of saving a life. Smile
06-09-2015, 09:49 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
When you are going to be gone all day long, and the dog has to be left alone, or (even worse) crated all day; then it is just not a good environment for any dog, especially a younger one, and for sure not for a puppy.
Most people think that they want to start with a puppy and raise it themselves, and this is not easy, even when you are there at home all day.
I think that an adult cat would be the best selection for you at this time; but if you are set on getting a dog; then I would suggest a small breed senior dog.
The small breed is probably used to spending most of the time inside, and maybe even used to being left in there alone. An older dog won't need or want as much exercise, and they can happily snooze all day long when you are gone.
My Yorkie-poo, Chipper, is eleven years old now, and he is very content to just relax on the couch when I am gone.
Another thing you might do is try fostering a pet, and see how it goes having a dog in the house. Most pet shelters need foster care for pets until they can be adopted out.
That way, if the dog works out well, you can adopt it, and if not, you only need keep it for a short while until it is adopted by someone.
06-09-2015, 09:58 AM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
I agree with what others have said - we didn't get a puppy at our house until I was in a predicament where I was working from home. This meant that I could easily take our puppy out regularly to potty train him, and so he didn't feel abandoned when we both worked long days. It's hard, I know -- I had wanted a dog beforehand too, but my husband and I both agreed we wouldn't get one until we had the ability to really be there for the pet.

We have a Shih Tzu right now, which you may have gathered from my user name! They're great apartment dogs. I think when you do have the time to be home with a pup to ensure no anxieties develop, a Shih Tzu is a great breed to have. They were bred specifically as companion dogs, so they are quite content being indoors and just hanging out with you. We still take our shih tzu for a daily walk too, but they don't require the same exercise level of bigger dogs. Plus, I just find their temperament to be delightful -- they're so endearing! I'd recommend looking into their breed to see if you think it would be the right fit for your family and living situation.
12-08-2015, 10:42 AM,
PatriciaSilva Offline

Threads: 0
Hi, i suggest not one, but two pets, small ones if it's a small apartment, for they need room too! Why 2 pets and not only one? Simply because of the syndrome of separation. Since you will stay so many hours out of home, a single pet will certainly feel lonely and suffer. So, another pet would be the reasonable solution...! Having pets in our lives is a huge responsability but a GREAT one too!!!
12-09-2015, 06:57 PM,
truongthanh Offline

Threads: 11
you will be in trouble with the toilet problem of dog Sad
nhac chuong hay
03-06-2016, 04:00 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I believe everything is about adapting to the circumstances. The challenge of becoming a first time dog owner while absent for many hours is not insurmountable. I would not advise you to keep one dog. Left alone at home, it will likely be gloomy as animals also love company. You should look for another dog so that they can keep each other company. Dogs are reasonably resilient and don't require constant feeding so give them food and fluids in the morning to see them through the day. It is important for the pair to be in the same if bracket.
04-14-2016, 10:39 PM,
remnant Offline

It is quite true that dogs suffer from separation anxiety and loneliness since they are descended from pack animals like wolves. But this is not always the case and there is a tendency by humans to project or imagine that the animal is sad at being left alone. So apart from taking the dog to a dog park during the day, keeping two dogs which are familiar with each other from an early age is the best solution.
04-24-2016, 10:48 PM,
remnant Offline

I would suggest a Spaniel to be the best dog especially around children. It is also adapted to water and since it has a shiny waterproof coat. Whatever dog breed you decide to keep, make sure you integrate it into the family. Grooming and health care are necessary and so is proper feeding. You should also make sure to have regular outings with him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My dog' surgery rythturtur 1 1,086 10-05-2022, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Karankresgs
  How to Stop My Dog Barking SO MUCH? nguyenbakhanh 1 1,632 09-20-2022, 03:32 AM
Last Post: DiannneBulosan
  Dog Vaccines whisperofdestiny 3 2,925 03-28-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ZizzoO
  my dog became weak after a fight deku 0 771 12-15-2021, 10:19 AM
Last Post: deku
  Protect Your Dog From Fleas And Ticks statewide 2 962 09-05-2021, 12:57 AM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Wireless dog fence eraistrafia123 3 1,796 06-11-2021, 05:59 PM
Last Post: DianaCornish
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  need a orthopedic dog bed afsanaurmi 2 1,769 04-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Last Post: RichardB6
  Looking for good dog gps trackers adamsNancy 0 1,441 07-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Last Post: adamsNancy
  Hyper dog is always hungry Corzhens 2 2,191 06-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Last Post: remnant
  Kefir for your dog ! Happyflowerlady 1 2,041 05-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Does your dog or cat talk to you ? Happyflowerlady 20 6,473 05-27-2016, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Does your dog suffer from OCD remnant 0 1,469 05-18-2016, 11:02 PM
  Too much fascination on dog breeds maxen57 0 1,615 05-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  Does your dog dream? Kteabc 8 4,215 03-05-2016, 03:20 PM