Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog collar for a walk in summer.?
05-17-2012, 11:23 PM,
mickey123 Offline
Registered

Threads: 2
Dog collar for a walk in summer.?
I have got a dog and he is 1 year old. Every evening I would like to go out for a walk. I need a collar so he could follow me as well as not to scare the others.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM,
Kuya Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
RE: Dog collar for a walk in summer.?
I have always used a general purpose collar, they can go through a lot of stress when you train a dog (depending on the size of your dog).

Also, when I take my dog out for a walk, I have Lisa (my dog) wearing a muzzle. I know she would not likely bite anyone, but here in the UK there are laws coming in soon that would imprison a dog owner if the dog bites people, not just a fine as it currently is. Plus, I don't want her to bite anyone - ever.

Getting back to the question, it really comes down to the size of the dog and the shape of their head vs. their neck. I have had a few collars that were just not right, but you will find one that fits and is comfortable for the dog.
05-18-2012, 01:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 01:51 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
How big is your dog? Most dogs don't scare me. They might concern me if they come straight for me. I am not worried for a bite, because it is usually unlikely. I just don't want random dogs to lick on my pants. Big Grin

Half the people here walk their dogs without a collar, although those are typically small dogs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2012, 04:13 AM,
kyle_crafty Offline

Being a rottweiler attack victim at age 3, I've been scared of dogs for a long time. I'm not anymore however and know what to look for when a dog is heading my way. If the dog is kinda galloping and/or wagging his tail he is coming to greet you or ask for pets. If he's charging head on tail lowered, ears back, et cetera he wants a price of you. People who don't know anything about dogs are ignorant of this and will get on you for not having a collar etc. However I believe it is LAW to have a collar outside of the house. however if you're really concerned get a training collar or a harness.
05-18-2012, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(05-18-2012, 04:13 AM)kyle_crafty Wrote: Being a rottweiler attack victim at age 3, I've been scared of dogs for a long time. I'm not anymore however and know what to look for when a dog is heading my way. If the dog is kinda galloping and/or wagging his tail he is coming to greet you or ask for pets. If he's charging head on tail lowered, ears back, et cetera he wants a price of you. People who don't know anything about dogs are ignorant of this and will get on you for not having a collar etc. However I believe it is LAW to have a collar outside of the house. however if you're really concerned get a training collar or a harness.

I am unaware of any law to require a collar on the dog outside of the house. Where do you live? This could be a local law.

Most dogs will at most bark at me and do nothing else. A few dogs pretend to charge at me but they'd run away on their own as they get close. There were dogs following me in a manner they were closing in on me quickly from behind, but if I stop or turn around, they ran away. I must be more scary than I thought. Gen068
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
In the US, just about everywhere has what we call "leash laws", which mean that a dog is required to be on a leash in public. Some places have breed-specific laws targeting bully-breeds that specify what type of leash, and what sort of collar must be used. I think that in most cases, smaller dogs can get away with a sliding collar/leash combo. But you are best off having a secure buckle-on collar that they wear all the time so that your dog always has ID tags on them. Then a leash can be snapped to that, or you can use a choke-chain if you want.
05-21-2012, 04:42 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(05-21-2012, 04:35 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: In the US, just about everywhere has what we call "leash laws", which mean that a dog is required to be on a leash in public. Some places have breed-specific laws targeting bully-breeds that specify what type of leash, and what sort of collar must be used. I think that in most cases, smaller dogs can get away with a sliding collar/leash combo. But you are best off having a secure buckle-on collar that they wear all the time so that your dog always has ID tags on them. Then a leash can be snapped to that, or you can use a choke-chain if you want.

Thanks for the information. I was never aware of "leash law", but I have never owned a dog myself. Smile

Who is there to enforce this law? What happens if someone ignore it?
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM by Fishbone.)
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
(05-21-2012, 04:42 PM)Ram8349 Wrote: Thanks for the information. I was never aware of "leash law", but I have never owned a dog myself. Smile

Who is there to enforce this law? What happens if someone ignore it?

There are also laws in allot of places that require you to have a collar on a dog (or cat here in FL) with a tag that has a license # to verify that the animal is up to date on rabies vaccinations.

The enforcement bodies vary per state and city, and most places have a municipality animal services. Here in FL, it is mostly the police. Which I am fine with personally. I was walking home from the bus stop with a little girl when I was about 6 or 7, and watched the girl get torn to pieces by some kind of pit bull/mix. (I was to young to be sure anymore). Just ran out of the guys yard with the fence open. Had been in that yard as long as I can remember, rarely even barked. Someone armed might be best in that situation, if my neighbor hadn't come out with a gun, I'm not sure if either of us would be alive. Luckily the police got there before he got into the owners house.
05-22-2012, 05:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM by Karenskatz.)
Karenskatz Offline

Enforcement generally relies on someone spotting a dog running loose and calling it in. I used to have a problem with a dog two doors away who was large and nasty and would go after anyone. He regularly got out of his yard. People repeatedly called the police, but by the time they got there, the owners would have him rounded up and indoors. If the police didn't catch the dog in the act, or if no one was willing to swear out a complaint against the dog, there was nothing they could except give the owners a warning. One say I noticed the dog out again, and I noticed a neighbor coming down the block walking her tiny dog. I called out to her to warn her about the nasty dog, and she put her dog back in the house and called the cops. Only, becuase she's also a police officer, she knew who to call and what to tell them. Dog was gone by the time they got there, but she was willing to swear out a complaint, so they got fined. And since we have breed specific regulations and the dog was a Rotweiler, the fines were double. That was the last time we saw that dog loose. If the owner could not be found or wasn't known, the police would have likely called Animal Control, who would come and round up the dog and take it to the AC shelter. The owners would have to bail it out, paying a fine for dog running loose, and if they could not produce a tag or certificate, fines for not having a licence for the dog and not having current rabies vacination. Plus they would have to pay boarding for every day the dog was held. Gets expensive. They also have a leash law for cats, but it's never enforced unless someone traps a cat and takes it to Animal Control and they can trace the owner.
05-23-2012, 07:34 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
The really unfortunate thing about those situations, at least here in FL, is that most of the dogs that get rounded up never get claimed. And there is a very limited number of people willing to adopt an adult rottie or pit that was taken in as a nuisance animal. And normally they are put down. It's just sad that people are not willing to take responsibility for their animals.
05-23-2012, 05:29 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Same here, Fishsbone. Almost 3/4 of the unclaimed animals at Animal Control are pits.
06-08-2012, 05:58 PM,
tajnz Offline

In New Zealand it's actually illegal to walk a dog anywhere without a collar. Anytime a dog is off private property it is required to wear a collar and leash. Except for dog exercise areas where a dog is permitted without a leash but with a collar.

I think having a collar is important as it not only carries contact information like your home address but also is an indication that your dog is not a stray and therefore won't be impounded. Collars also make it easier to attach a leash and control your dog if there are children or people afraid of dogs around. Lots of people, one of my grandmothers included are afraid of dogs. As a responsible dog owner one should always be able to manage and control their dog.
06-10-2012, 08:00 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Fishbone, we have that law in my county. Dogs must have the ID tag on at all times with the number on file in case they bite someone. If you don't have that ID, there is a 10 day quarantine at the shelter and the possibility that the dog will be put down.

I don't know of any dogs without collars where I live. In fact, they must be on leash when in public. This is fairly populated area with cars going by all the time. It would be too dangerous to let a dog roam off leash
06-11-2012, 06:41 AM,
Sian Lewis Offline

Threads: 0
It's a legal requirement here in the UK to have a collar on your dog.
To be honest, I don't know why people wouldn't want to have a collar on their dog along with their contact details.

There have been times when our family dog has somehow become separated from us whilst out walking and has run back to our car. Our mobile number is on the collar so that if someone finds her, they can call us to let us know they have her and where she is. Thankfully it's very rarely that this happens but we have also come across dogs that have lost their owners and have been able to call them to let them know we found their dog.
06-12-2012, 10:51 PM,
mickey123 Offline
Registered

Thanks for given you suggestion.today i got the collar info Clap but you know Use of Comfy cone?because i read many site so you know then tell me?
Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,844 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,696 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,145 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,319 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,486 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,740 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,331 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,123 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,580 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady