LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are your dogs afraid of loud noises from fireworks? (Tips)
01-08-2013, 03:40 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Are your dogs afraid of loud noises from fireworks? (Tips)
A lot of dogs are dealing with a phobia called Acousticophobia which is the fear of loud noise including fireworks. Did they get scared this New Year or where the type who ended approaching the fireworks out of curiosity rather than run away from it.

Here's a brief explanation of what it is and how you will be able to help your dogs deal with it.

A lot of dogs fear fireworks. Mostly, this is due to the very loud sound that goes "boom boom" while the fireworks are being lit up.

In order to manage this problem, here are some short management tips you can do.

1. As soon as your dog starts to shake, shiver or pace down the house, shut the windows and door. Close the curtains.

2. Take your dog to the living room and turn on the music, TV or radio loud enough to mask the sound outside.

3. Do not comfort your dog or console him/her. Avoid fidgeting, fussing and paying too much attention to your dog. Act normal.

4. You could also add some distraction by making him do tricks to keep his mind from focusing on the sound outside once it decreases or is lessened.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM,
mz_angie1987 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: How Well Did Your Dogs Deal with Fireworks?
Thanks for that information because I had no idea it was a phobia. Now I can tell friends what kind of condition my sweet dog has. This year there were more fireworks bursting in the air than any other year. My dog was very scared at these sounds. There was times when she would bark and run around like a crazy little dog. Sometimes she would calm down and just cry. I found that to be odd but I guess dogs are like humans, they deal with things differently and in their own way.
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM,
haopee Offline

(01-08-2013, 04:37 PM)mz_angie1987 Wrote: Thanks for that information because I had no idea it was a phobia. Now I can tell friends what kind of condition my sweet dog has. This year there were more fireworks bursting in the air than any other year. My dog was very scared at these sounds. There was times when she would bark and run around like a crazy little dog. Sometimes she would calm down and just cry. I found that to be odd but I guess dogs are like humans, they deal with things differently and in their own way.

A lot of dogs fear loud noises... I have dogs who cower at loud sounds too.

A couple of years ago I lost one of my dogs because he got loose from the leash and run as far away as possible. We weren't able to find him but a couple of years later, a dog who looked exactly like him came to our house and decided to live there without us knowing (it was being taken care of my brother while we were on vacation).

Always remember to not console or comfort her state of fear because it will worsen it. Desensitizing can also help in teaching dogs to stop fearing loud noises.
01-09-2013, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Interesting video.
It basically said that

1. We shouldn't "rescue" the dog when there is loud noises. It would only reinforce their negative behavior. That came a surprise to me. Maybe by "rescue" them, they would be more likely to associate the loud noises with real danger.

2. Distract them.
That is very understandable.

3. Make them get used to the noises.
When I saw this thread, this is the first thing I could think of.
I bet most dogs or pets in general would be scared the life out of them by sudden loud noises from firecrackers and fireworks if it is the first time they hear it. It is more scary to them if they don't see it because they really don't know what is going on.

Before I watched the video, I already had this method in my mind to train dogs to get used to the loud noises. You can show them fireworks on TV. Don't start at high volume. Start low, then you may turn up the volume little by little, which allow them time to adapt. By being able to look at the fireworks on TV screens, they can actually get an idea of what is causing the loud noises so it won't scare them because of the confusion. By having the noises start at fairly low volume, it won't hurt their ears and give them a sudden "heart attack". Eventually they can get used to loud fireworks on TV at even higher volume than the real thing. At that point, I don't think they will be scared of the real fireworks.

What do you think of this method?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 09:52 AM,
jenzshoppin Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Are your dogs afraid of loud noises from fireworks? (Tips)
One of my dogs is afraid of loud noises. He has not gotten better even though we close windows and ignore him. Whenever we get storm he shivers and tries to jump on our laps (he's not allowed on the couch or allowed to jump on us).

My daughter ends up holding him sometimes unless I am around to stop it. I feel so bad for our dog that he has this fear.
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM,
haopee Offline

(01-09-2013, 10:49 PM)Ram Wrote: Interesting video.
It basically said that

1. We shouldn't "rescue" the dog when there is loud noises. It would only reinforce their negative behavior. That came a surprise to me. Maybe by "rescue" them, they would be more likely to associate the loud noises with real danger.

2. Distract them.
That is very understandable.

3. Make them get used to the noises.
When I saw this thread, this is the first thing I could think of.
I bet most dogs or pets in general would be scared the life out of them by sudden loud noises from firecrackers and fireworks if it is the first time they hear it. It is more scary to them if they don't see it because they really don't know what is going on.

Before I watched the video, I already had this method in my mind to train dogs to get used to the loud noises. You can show them fireworks on TV. Don't start at high volume. Start low, then you may turn up the volume little by little, which allow them time to adapt. By being able to look at the fireworks on TV screens, they can actually get an idea of what is causing the loud noises so it won't scare them because of the confusion. By having the noises start at fairly low volume, it won't hurt their ears and give them a sudden "heart attack". Eventually they can get used to loud fireworks on TV at even higher volume than the real thing. At that point, I don't think they will be scared of the real fireworks.

What do you think of this method?

Yes, it's called desensitizing. This process has been used a lot and not only to help dogs resolve fear of loud noises. Desensitizing is also used to bring about proper mindset during grooming sessions as well as correcting unwarranted behavior when being introduced to new or foreign stuff e.g brooms, vacuum cleaners, tractors... a cat Wink

Hopefully, all owners will take the time to understand this and learn how to correct the reaction before it worsens.
01-23-2013, 02:35 AM,
pafjlh Offline

Threads: 1
Buddy and Oso both hate New Years Eve and The forth of July because of the loud noises that accompany it. I live in a residential area, but the way they set off fireworks around me, you wouldn't know it. These tips are good, my only problem Buddy and Oso can be a bit disruptive in side the home if they are agitated. So, what we tend to do is give them spots outside in our back yard where they can go to for refuge when this type of stuff happens. We also keep a close eye on them to make sure they are OK and not too upset.
01-28-2013, 05:46 AM,
Kyla Houbolt Offline

Threads: 4
I'm really glad to read this because the "do not comfort" rule is so counter-intuitive for me (and probably for others also.) Of course, that is the first thing I would rush to do! is comfort and console an animal who acts frightened. But it makes perfect sense that that only reinforces the sense of real danger. Calm and neutral is the way to go, I guess.

I live on property where the owner has two little dogs - they are chihuahuas or chihuahua mix of some kind. And they do tend to be as excitable as little dogs can be! Last summer he set off a barrage of fireworks at his house that was so loud I had a hard time enduring it myself. I wondered about his dogs (and I confess I did not ask!) but it may very well be they have been desensitized in exactly this way.

Thanks very much for the information.
01-28-2013, 06:18 AM,
amberra824 Offline

Threads: 4
I'm going to have to bookmark this thread, and remember these tips. My parents only just recently bought our dog Buck, so he hasn't been around for the Fourth of July and fireworks yet, so we have no idea how he'll react. Hopefully I'll still remember this by the time July rolls around. I feel so bad for dogs and other animals that are frightened by the loud noises. In our area, especially, you hear them all the time before, during, and even after the Fourth. People seem to celebrate a lot, and the noises are going on pretty much during the two weeks surrounding the Fourth. Here's hoping that Buck isn't afraid, or that if he is, I'll be able to show these tips to my family and we'll all be able to help keep him feeling safe and sound.
01-28-2013, 12:45 PM,
Blemons2527 Offline

Threads: 0
We have a rescue chihuahua who was abused. So he is terrified of loud noises. We have tried to train him out of it. But we think bc of his past history no matter how long he stays with us that may never change
03-02-2013, 09:48 AM,
Buffy Offline

Threads: 3
My beloved Chipin of 17 years died because of my ignorance about loud noises. I had a shampooer that sounded like it lost a muffler or something and would put the dogs out in the carport when using it. Well, one time I didn't...because it was just to clean a quick spill for 4 or 5 swipes back and forth. He jumped up and down looking at me like he was afraid and I said in a sing song voice, "Mommy's almost done". He jumped away and I turned it off and heard one yelp. He was dead in the hallway....my beautiful, shiny, muscular little Chipin. I got down by him and sobbed, cried out, prayed for him to breathe again...but it didn't happen. It was 2 years ago and still, I write this with tears streaming down my face. Don't ever take chances. RIP Dobie, my little boy dog. We'll be together again someday but I miss you so much.

Don't ever take chances with loud noises.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,395 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,934 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,603 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee