LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Dogs Steal Food?
04-04-2013, 12:27 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Do Dogs Steal Food?
Have you ever asked yourself if dogs understand the concept of stealing?

In actuality, dogs don't fully grasp the term. In fact, they probably think it's just available food on a higher platform. Scavengers as they are, that's like being given a golden opportunity.

So if in case your dog does take food that's not supposed to be taken, here are some things you should consider doing.

1. Make sure that everybody is informed not to leave food lying around.
2. Correct the behavior. To do this, you might need to set-up a scenario in order for them to be corrected in a timely manner.
3. Make sure you are feeding your dog the right amount of food.
4. Don't just give him love, give him exercise and mental stimulation as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 01:25 AM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Do Dogs Steal Food?
A dog is an opportunist when it comes to finding food and will have no sense of right or wrong. If food has been left around where a dog can get at it, the owner may want to reprimand the animal, but it is not the fault of the dog, it is human error that has allowed the dog to take the food and eat it.

I have often seen dogs heading towards an abandoned burger or discarded remains of a sandwich. A sensible owner will pull the dog back and quickly move on. Unless the dog is off the leash it should not have the opportunity to eat anything that humans have thrown away.
04-07-2013, 05:03 PM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
Some dog owners I know train their dog to only eat from a specific dog bowl. Since dog's really don't have any sense of ownership when it comes to food this technique could be an alternative method of making sure he or she does not steal food. My chow does not take any food off counters or the table but if it's Spam for some reason she can't help herself.
05-06-2013, 05:36 AM,
Candyz Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I do not think it shall be called stealing as dog are not humans who knows what is right from wrong. I remember when my dog went inside my bed room and I placed some sandwiches at the middle side of it and I was busy on the phone and he licked one of the sandwiches. Good thing I was able to caught him or else I might have eaten the food with my dog's saliva in it.
05-26-2013, 07:31 AM,
jules0309 Offline

Threads: 1
I have two dogs back home in Nepal and whereas the older one only eats from her bowl, the younger one often gobbles down his food and waits to attack the other dog's food. He is aware that it's not his to begin with and waits for a while for the older dog to look away or walk away before attacking the food and because of this,we give them food at different corners of the room and the younger dog goes to his corner where the plate is. Both dogs know that food on the dining table are off limits to them and they never try to eat from there unless we throw them a bite or two. Because of this, I do believe dogs are aware of the concept of stealing.
05-26-2013, 12:32 PM,
cliverederson Offline

Threads: 5
This may not be true, but I certainly think my dog knows she's stealing. She won't do it to me, but I've seen her sneak and steal food on my mom's plate. She knows it's bad and she picks her moment.

On a related note, I always heard if you never feed your dog table scraps, they wouldn't know to beg. That wasn't true in my experience either. I never give her table scraps, and she'll be begging away anyway.
05-29-2013, 01:57 AM,
Dellygoat Offline

This is really good advice and something a lot of people forget! Especially the last part. Dogs need mental stimulation too. Would you be happy if you got to go to the gym every day but were not allowed to read a book, watch tv, sit at your PC or talk to friends? Don't think so.

My dog definitely "steals" food as often as she can, and it's always our fault for leaving it where she can reach it. She's eaten bit chunks of cheese, a huge lemon curd pie, and even chocolate! Luckily she has always been fine, but you really have to be careful. She does know she's not allowed to though, because the times I do catch her she immediately runs to her cage and hides.

I don't think the whole "if you don't give them scraps they won't know how to beg" thing is true either. Our food smells delicious to them, so much better than their dog food, so of course they're going to be interested!
05-29-2013, 04:31 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Dellygoat, I totally agree with you.
Ever been in the situation where we drool over some food not meant for us? I have! LOL! Our brain is designed to feel the need to eat when we see good food. Dogs could be the same.

If we place food in the reach of our pets, we are asking to have it being stolen.

It sounds fun to hear your dog actually feeling guilty after being caught stealing food. HAHA!

As for our food being more delicious than dog food, that one I can't be sure of. Dogs have very different smell and taste compare to humans. What taste like sweet might be totally different to them, and it is just an example. However, I do agree they might get bored of eating the same thing every day for the most part. A new snack for a change can be attempting if I am forced to eat the same stuff all the time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-29-2013, 05:25 AM,
Dellygoat Offline

Ram, that might be true, but I was more thinking in the likes of a big fat juicy piece of steak on the dinner table, now that definitely smells more to them than their own dog food! Tongue
05-30-2013, 07:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM by Kyama3.)
Kyama3 Offline

Threads: 2
All previous dogs I have owned have developed habits of stealing food. This was only when we had first got the dogs though, and after teaching them it's not acceptable, I trained them not to jump up at the table and steal food. The dog I have currently has never stolen food, she is too soft and care-free to be bothered about ever doing that! I think she is the most well behaved dog I have ever owned. She has once before though, carried in some gross looking meal from outside, it looked like it was mouldy too so I'm really surprised she was eating this. I quickly too it off her though and I think she has learnt her lesson.
06-11-2013, 05:32 AM,
shae152 Offline

Threads: 0
Lol yes dogs do steal whether they know it or not. They may not know that their doing it but in our eyes they are. One day my dog stole a pork chop off of my brothers plate when he wasnt looking lol it was so funny.
07-03-2013, 02:08 AM,
Buffy Offline

Threads: 3
When I would give both my little doggies their milkbones or some other treat, the Chipin would gobble his down....the Poodle would put hers down on the floor and just stand there, then ever so slightly look away, triggering Dobie to make a mad dash for it with his mouth. Ohhh but Buffy knew just when to turn and snatch it up! LOL Only once in a blue moon did Dobie get it and run off with Buffy snarling after him. So funny!! Such clowns! Yes, I'm sure Dobie knew it was stealing! But it was a little game they'd play.

Of course, Buffy would come back to me ready for another one, which she would promptly eat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,395 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,934 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,603 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee