LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your dog like to ride in the car ?
06-06-2014, 06:29 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Does your dog like to ride in the car ?
My little Yorkie-poo, Chipper, loves to go for rides in the car, and he always stays right on the seat, and curled up safely. I usually put the window part-way down, that way he does get some of the fresh air, but he can't accidently fall out of the window.
His favorite thing is when we go to pick up my husband from his job at the grocery store. He works in the meat department; so he always has that wonderful "chicken-y smell" that Chipper finds totally intoxicating.
All I have to do is say "time to go and get Daddy", and he is jumping up and down and ready to head out of the door.
When I had my minivan, he used to even have his own little car seat for Elmo and Chipper to sit in.
I was rading today about a man that almost drowned both himself and his dog because he had the large GS dog loose in the front seat with the leash dragging. The leash got tangled up in th shifting lever, and then the dog fell on the floor and hit the gas pedal, throwing the car right into the water, and almost drowning both of them.
The car was ruined, but both the man and his dog survived, thanks to quick help from passers-by.
So, it is very important to keep your dog in a safe place when he is riding in the car with you !

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Puppy-...s/26298698
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 10:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM by FreeFlowingJoy.)
FreeFlowingJoy Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Does your dog like to ride in the car ?
Aww what a sweet story. Gotta go pick up daddy. I love that.

Yes, mine love to go go go. They will hop in the car for a 'car ride' as I say to them even if I haven't said where we are going yet. You see, they know we are going for a walk probably because she put our harness's on us. But a car ride without their individual harness's is just a trip to the post office or other family member's house.

When it was just she and I, I took my middle size girl everywhere with me, even on a few driving trips. Thankfully, the other's like to ride too. Heck, they even got in a stranger's mini van that was like ours once. It was at a park, so they didn't freak out, but it was embarrassing, and I just said, we had a van like that once. Which I did. The woman nursing a baby and her husband just laughed good heartedly.

I have tried to be an aware mom and get my weenie girl one of those seats like the pet stores have that prop them up so they can see out the window as my bigger dogs LOVE to do. She HATED it. She loves to car ride, but I think she didn't like to be 'in the air'. She just would not stay there, moving or not, strapped in or not. She could not stand it. So she just rides in the back and does love it, so I just shrugged it off.
06-25-2014, 03:03 AM,
titohunter Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Yea my dog likes to go anywhere i go really. He's kinda crazy tho i get scared he's going to jump out of the truck and run down the highway. I usually tie him to something if i have him in the back of a pickup because i think he'll jump off and chase someone and get killed or lost. Fortunately He can barely fit through a car window to jump of that tho.
06-29-2014, 04:50 AM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
I totally agree with you as far as having them in a safe place in the car.

What irks me are the people that think they are being nice to their dogs and let them ride on their laps, hang their head out of the driver side window~ don't they realize that is dangerous? Imagine what an airbag would do to a little dog.
07-16-2014, 11:35 AM,
gi_joy Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
My dog, a pitbull terrier, absolutely loves to ride in the car. He's grown to love it because he knows that if he's riding with us, he'll be going to a very fun place where he gets to play and explore and feel free. He loves it when we roll the window down and gets to stick his head out the window and feel the air against him. I don't put him in a crate or tie him to anything, I just let him sit or lay down in the back seat because he's a big dog. Sometimes if I get worried he'll damage the seats I'll put an old blanket over the seat that he can sit down on. Overall he's a very good dog in the car.
07-17-2014, 07:23 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
My little dog, Sadie, loves to ride in the car. The only problem is, she wants on my lap while I am driving, so she does not get to go often and never at the times of day when the traffic is heavy. She is not one to want to hang her head out the window like some dogs do. And she just wants to curl up on my lap when she rides.
07-18-2014, 09:39 PM,
Kteabc Offline

Threads: 9
My dogs absolutely LOVE car rides. Unfortunately my main dog Sadie can NOT ride in the back of a truck. We tried in the neighborhood going extremely slow the first time. As soon as we slowed down to barely moving she bailed over the side. I heard her hit the ground and freaked out. Thankfully we were only going about 5-7 mph. She scraped her chin and chest and got right up, she's a bulldog so she's tough. I was in a complete panic. It hurt me more than it hurt her I'm sure of it. I swear she just wanted to be next to us.
Now Sadie and my foster dog Willie ride inside the vehicle with me with the ac vents blowing on them (we live in Florida). I roll the windows down when we aren't going too fast. They love to stick their heads out or rest them on the window ledge. I can see their heads in my rear view mirrors and watch their noses twitch as they take in all the smells and their ears flap in the wind.
They do say that car rides are good exercise for dogs because they use their nose (insert scientific name here) muscles so much. Of course they should always still have their normal exercise but car rides will suffice sometimes and burn up some of their energy in the event you just can't walk them that day. My dogs are also covered under my insurance policy but not completely.
07-23-2014, 04:32 AM,
Francy Offline

Threads: 8
Mine love car rides! I'll tell them that we're going to go "bye bye" and they are beside themselves! I love that they get so excited over such little things. Dogs are amazing creatures! Mine love the fresh air from the car ride, and especially like it when we're going somewhere fun!
10-01-2014, 10:58 PM,
Danyel72 Offline

Threads: 2
We have 2 dogs and neither of them like the car. When I put them on their leash to go they immediately think were going for a walk and then when they realize their heading for the car they are not happy. They get in without a problem but once their in, it's not pleasant.

They do the usual... panting, wandering back and forth and the annoying whining! Smile Typical and I guess you can say were used to it by now. I guess they know that if they are in the car it means to the groomer or their going to the doggie hotel for a few days. Either way, they would rather stay home. Smile

Danyel Smile
12-08-2014, 03:29 PM,
Miranda Boldari Offline

Threads: 2
I once saw my neighbor's dog sitting in the car, shotgun, while his little master was making 'car sounds'. The dog was giving out these happy barks which didn't make any sense since the car was as still as a statue. I walked over and around the car to see the little boy's twin sister fanning a newspaper in the dog's direction, creating a nice breeze and making the dogs big ears fly as if he really were in a fast car.
It was one of the most hilarious and touching things I've seen in my life. That dog was always on the go...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,839 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,167 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,695 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,144 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,318 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,485 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,739 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,330 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,122 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,579 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,804 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,454 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady