LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Myths--Do you agree with these?
03-04-2014, 05:30 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Dog Myths--Do you agree with these?
I came across this article today: 5 Dog Myths. The myths they debunked are as follows:

Dogs should not have more than a couple a baths a year or their skin with dry out.

Short haired dogs shed less than long haired dogs.

Dogs need all shots every year.

Older dogs shouldn't get anesthesia.

Dogs shouldn't get pain medication.

---
I have to confess that I have heard of the first three myths, but not the last two. How awful to deny a dog pain medication after a trauma, surgery, or for chronic pain! I am glad that they have changed their line of thinking.

I think a couple of these need caveats. For instance, the first one is breed specific, isn't it? There are some breeds that don't need as many baths as others because of the oils in their skin--at least from what I heard. Am I wrong on that?

Also, the second one about shedding is too general. This is a breed specific thing, too. I can attest to the fact that short haired and long haired dogs can shed equally. My Jack Russell sheds a lot. But, so did the Collie we had when we were growing up. The way they shed is different though. Misha's fur comes out one hair at a time. The Collie's hair came out in clumps.

Number three isn't so much a myth but a change in science and reality. Up through the 1970s and 1980s, there wasn't such a thing as a 3 year vaccination. You had to bring your dog in every year to get them updated. But, they've improved on them. I'm not sure which can be done as 3 year except for the rabies vaccine.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the myths. What do you think of them? Has your experience proven them false or reinforced them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 07:40 AM,
Atlanticgrl Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: Dog Myths--Do you agree with these?
The first one...I had a Doberman that I bathed once a month and she had a beautiful coat. I took her to the beach often, so if I did not bath her she would began to stink like seaweed and dead fish. And I hate "doggy smell as it is. Use a good shampoo that moisturizes. I used a natural oatmeal soap for her.

Number two...My short hair Chihuahua sheds like he has the mange. Shedding is COMPLETELY based on breed and not hair length.

Number three...as you mentioned it depends on the shot. The rabies shot is now a three year range. However, the shots that only last a year should be given, especially if you take your dog to a dog park or kennel where they have a lot of close contact with other dogs and their feces. Not all dog owners are diligent about pet health. Your pet could catch something.

Number four...I'm not a vet, but I've never heard this. I would think it would be on a case by case basis. Obviously, if the dog is too weak for anesthesia it is too weak for surgery. One should really consider carefully about putting an old dog through the trauma just to extended his life for maybe just weeks or months. They can't understand what they are going through like human can. Think about quality of THEIR life.

The last...this can be touchy. While I think if a dog has a broken a leg or some type of short term injury as such, then a bit of pain meds to ease him, is worth it. Dogs don't show pain like people do so just because we are "seeing" doesn't mean it isn't there. However, I do not think a dog should be kept indefinitely on pain meds. One should really consider quality of life in situations that would require constant pain management.
05-02-2014, 09:32 PM,
Kteabc Offline

Threads: 9
I have only heard of the shedding and bathing myths. I can say that I have 2 bulldog breed dogs which have short hair. I do not have any carpet in my home (carpet is gross to me). I shed hair like crazy, my hair, dog hair and dust gather in corners within a few days if I don't sweep. My boyfriends lab recently came to live with us and labs have longer hair than bulldogs. Within a week I noticed TONS of hair gathering and that I had to sweep everyday compared to a few days a week. Maybe the longer hairs are easier to notice than the short hairs and therefor we think longer haired dogs shed more.

As far as bathing goes, my dogs are inside dogs and get baths every other weekend and sometimes more often in the summer or if they go swimming or to the beach. I haven't noticed any type of change in their skin in the 4 years I have had my dogs. My foster dog came to me with MAJOR skin issues, fungus and skin that looked like mange, although it wasn't. When he gets dirty or goes more than a week without a bath he does get itchy but i think it is due to him being very sensitive to things and already having skin problems.

Very interesting post, I'm going to research some of those myths now and start a thread for breed specific myths.
05-09-2014, 04:08 PM,
Miranda Boldari Offline

Threads: 2
I really don't think any dog- no matter what breed -can do with just a couple of baths in a year. That can possibly lead to infection. I am not sure though, never having hazarded it so far.

Yes, bathing dogs depends a lot on the type of skin they have and the oil secretion. Too much washing dries the skin, the hair.. But I've had four different breed of dogs over eleven years and I've regularly given them baths around thrice a month with sufficient intervals in between. No problems so far.

Shedding depends on the breed, too. Length doesn't have much to do with it.

I have personally spoken to my vet regarding the anesthesia. It's not too different from human beings. Anesthesia is a necessity doctors at the moment can't do without. There have been instances where an 80-year old recovers from a bypass surgery without a hitch, but a 29ish young man with no history of chronic illness is comatose upon the correct administration of anaesthasia. It is very difficult to predict. Vets generally do not advise anesthetizing very old dogs, but it really depends on the case.

My Alsatian was on pain medications for a month, so I guess I can safely call the restrictions on that a myth.
06-09-2014, 12:54 AM,
Amesii Offline

Threads: 1
I think dogs shouldn't be bathed more than once a week unless they have a condition that requires frequent shampooing, such as a bacterial or yeast infection on the skin. I have had clients at the vet's office have to bathe their dog every other day with a medicated shampoo and this didn't dry out the skin. I think it depends on the dog and the type of shampoo you are using. A harsh shampoo would dry out the skin more quickly.

I think shedding has to do with the breed and not the hair length. Poodles can have long curly hair but they don't shed as much as a Frenchie with very short hair.

Dogs should get their rabies shot every year or every 3 years if it's required by law. In New York City it is required by law to have the rabies shot every 3 years. Other vaccines such as DA2PP (distemper) can be every year until the dog becomes a senior and then a blood test can be done to check antibody levels. This is how it is done at my vet's office. I'm sure other vets have different protocols.

Older dogs can get anesthesia as long as they are healthy and have a proper work up such as chest X rays and blood work. I do anesthesia all the time on older dogs and they are not at a higher risk for dying unless they have an underlying disease such as heart disease. Dogs should also most definitely get pain medications. Studies have shown that they feel the same pain as we can. I have seen animals benefit from pain medication. It calms them down and relaxes them. It's not a pretty sight to see an animal in pain.
06-30-2014, 02:02 AM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
I agree with a couple of them, but on the bathing, I think it depends on the dog. I bathe my little dog and will use human hair conditioner on her.

As far as the shedding goes, Short haired dogs SEEM to shed less.. The hair is just less noticable.

ON the shots, yes there are some that do not need to be updated every year.
06-30-2014, 03:21 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
Bathing,,, I have a little long haired yorkie/shitzu mix. I bathe her once a week to keep her from getting "doggie" smell. My daughter has a little rat terrier that only gets bathed once a month. As far as shots go, I am an advocate of getting them as the vet recommends. Sadie sheds like crazy and the rat terrier does too. So both the long and the short haired dog shed equally. As far as pain meds go, I am a believer in medicating as the vet feels is necessary to keep a dog out of pain.
06-30-2014, 02:14 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I bathe my dogs as needed, also. Chipper, my Yorkiee-poo needs bathing a lot mor than Tootsie, who is a short haired Blue Heeler cross. Chipper seems to have more skin irritation than Tootsie does, as well, so even though he is mostly inside the house, he still needs more bathing.
I think that anesthetics or pain meds should be used when needed, regardless of age.
My Pekinese mix was almost 10 when we had her spayed, and she had no problems with either the anesthesia, or the pain meds that were given to her afterward.
I do think that vaccination shots are given way more often than is needed, according to what most vets are saying , so I do not do that every year.
07-06-2014, 01:18 PM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
I done
(05-09-2014, 04:08 PM)Miranda Boldari Wrote: I really don't think any dog- no matter what breed -can do with just a couple of baths in a year. That can possibly lead to infection. I am not sure though, never having hazarded it so far.

Yes, bathing dogs depends a lot on the type of skin they have and the oil secretion. Too much washing dries the skin, the hair.. But I've had four different breed of dogs over eleven years and I've regularly given them baths around thrice a month with sufficient intervals in between. No problems so far.

Shedding depends on the breed, too. Length doesn't have much to do with it.

I have personally spoken to my vet regarding the anesthesia. It's not too different from human beings. Anesthesia is a necessity doctors at the moment can't do without. There have been instances where an 80-year old recovers from a bypass surgery without a hitch, but a 29ish young man with no history of chronic illness is comatose upon the correct administration of anaesthasia. It is very difficult to predict. Vets generally do not advise anesthetizing very old dogs, but it really depends on the case.

My Alsatian was on pain medications for a month, so I guess I can safely call the restrictions on that a myth.

I think any dog should have a bath atleast 4 times a year. I have noticed that my little MinnPinn/Chiauha mix gets really black under her rear "Leg Pits" I think that is from not bathing her as much as she should be. It is easier for her, if I just put her in the shower with me instead of making her get in the sink or tub alone, she seems to tolerate it better. One thing you want to make sure of tho, is that your house is warm enough so they wont get a chill. Most Dogs do not care for the hair dryer.
07-19-2014, 03:44 AM,
Treeca86 Offline

Threads: 2
I do not agree with any of them, and agree with what my Mother, Evelyn McGregor and my friend, happyflowerlady.
Bathe your dog as needed, especially for flea removal and treat any skin irritation with proper shampoo.
My dog is short haired and sheds as much as my Mom's long haired dog.
Shots every year should be given, especially for rabies. You do not want your dog to get rabies, and bite someone and them get it, that can get you in trouble.
Dogs should get anesthesia. Do you want to have surguy and not have anesthesia and be in pain while the doctor is cutting out and digging inside of you to do whatever? It would hurt, and probably die from the pain. Our dogs would feel the pain and maybe die, too. We should not want that for our babies.
Dogs need any medication as directed by vet as we should as directed by our own doctors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,839 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,168 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,695 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,144 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,318 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,485 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,739 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,330 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,122 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,580 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,804 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,454 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady