Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you stop dogs from barking?
04-24-2012, 03:31 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
How do you stop dogs from barking?
Some dogs just love to bark. Sometimes they bark at night, which can be a problem if you are not in deep sleep. How do you tell them to be quiet?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2012, 03:54 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
RE: How do you stop dogs from barking?
I'm not a dog owner and I've never trained one, but I have heard (I think it was Victoria Stillwell from Animal Planet) say that you reward the dog after it has been quiet for a while, but ignore the dog when it's barking, and eventually it will decide that being quiet is prefable. On the other hand, from what I've seen on Dog Whisperer. Ceaser would probably poke it to startle it out of barking.
Find all posts by this user
04-24-2012, 09:38 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
"Poke it" until the dog stop barking? Big Grin
What do you poke the dog with? Your finger or a stick?
I don't think the dog will like to be poked. I know I don't.

By ignoring the dog, it will stop barking? I hope so. Smile

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2012, 03:41 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

I used the word "poke" because i didn't know what else to call it. It's actually more of pinch/mock bite, like mom dog might correct a pup.
05-09-2012, 10:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM by Thor.)
shurdenkelly Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Dogs from barking is good and bad also we can see this by both of the sides because when its barking we can alert if there will some strangers but when we are in sleep so it also create disturbance sometimes at night.

Link removed by Admin.
Reason: Advertisement of personal web site is not permitted on this forum. If you feel the need to promote a pet related business, you are only allowed to post it under Pet stores - Vendors & Deals Discussions.
05-16-2012, 08:31 AM,
whocky Offline

Hi

To stop a dog from barking its just a case of training the dog. don't use dog barking aids as i feel these are cruel.
06-06-2012, 12:51 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I have a Jack Russell. Terriers love to bark. She is an indoor dog, so there is no barking at night.

I'm training her to keep her barking to a minimum. I keep a shaker can by the front door. It's a soda can with a few pennies in it. When she runs to the door to bark, I shake the can and give the "no bark" command.

It's worked fairly well. Sometimes I only have to say "do you want me to shake the can" and point to it and she will walk away.
06-07-2012, 03:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM by tajnz.)
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
I remember my first dog hardly ever barked and my mum was concerned until we adopted our second dog (they are actually sisters) and it barked all the time. Then she wished she had the problem of a dog who didn't bark again.

I think the only real way to get a dog to stop barking would be to train it. We trained our second dog not to bark at passers by ect.. and she would respond to a simple shhhhh sound followed by her name. It's probably best you talk to a specalist dog trainer. :-)
06-13-2012, 07:11 AM,
MusicInMotion67 Offline
Registered

For me, my ex boyfriend put some pennies in a can put the lid on it and taped it up, so every time he starts barking or doing something I don't like, I shake the can at him. Since he's afraid of the sound and it only happens when he's barking or doing something wrong, it get's the point across and I don't spank the dog as many people do.

Ceaser will imitate a dogs bite with his hand. If a dog is doing something wrong like barking he make a claw shaped hand and without the doc expecting it grab at it at either the dogs side or neck, not hard, but just enough to get it's attention and startle it. Like another dog would do to it if it was out of control that other dog would bite the one acting up. Also sometimes, if he's walking the dog and it does something and won't listen to the sound he makes or the hand thing he'll take his right foot and bring it behind him to tap the dog on the hiney with it. Again, not hard but just enough to catch it's attention and make it stop obsessing over whatever it's barking at.
06-13-2012, 01:31 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(06-13-2012, 07:11 AM)MusicInMotion67 Wrote: For me, my ex boyfriend put some pennies in a can put the lid on it and taped it up, so every time he starts barking or doing something I don't like, I shake the can at him. Since he's afraid of the sound and it only happens when he's barking or doing something wrong, it get's the point across and I don't spank the dog as many people do.

Ceaser will imitate a dogs bite with his hand. If a dog is doing something wrong like barking he make a claw shaped hand and without the doc expecting it grab at it at either the dogs side or neck, not hard, but just enough to get it's attention and startle it. Like another dog would do to it if it was out of control that other dog would bite the one acting up. Also sometimes, if he's walking the dog and it does something and won't listen to the sound he makes or the hand thing he'll take his right foot and bring it behind him to tap the dog on the hiney with it. Again, not hard but just enough to catch it's attention and make it stop obsessing over whatever it's barking at.

I used the pennies in a can, too. It does wonders in distracting the dog from barking or doing anything inappropriate for that matter. If the pennies in a can doesn't work, you can try a maracas or saying "No" in a low rumbling growl. You could also try the "Tsst" command if all else fails.

Cesar also tugs the leash in a sharp jerking motion to snap the dog out of its fixation.

Just remember that whenever you're frustrated or mad, sometimes we tend to raise our voice. This raise in our voice can be perceived by dogs as excitement.
06-27-2012, 04:05 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
You know, I have to be honest because reading through your answers I kept thinking how nice everyone treats their dogs here, despite an annoying habit so many dogs have. It's a little bittersweet for me. I am happy that there are KIND, HUMANE solutions to stopping a dog from barking.I'm glad to see all of you dog owners using humane solutions. I was dreading seeing other "solutions" that might not be so kind. I have horrific memories of my dad going out to beat my brother's Irish Setter with a huge stick, screaming at it all the while. It literally makes me cry now just thinking about it (he beat all of us too, actually). I can remember the loud thumps that all the neighbors must have also heard as that poor dog was beat over and over again and the pitiful cries from that poor dog! I don't know why nobody ever called the authorities on my dad. They should have! Maybe way back then nobody cared about animal abuse like we do nowadays?
I like the pennies in a can solution - too bad my dad never heard about that one! But then he'd probably prefer beating to anything nice anyway.
07-27-2012, 03:48 PM,
jester23 Offline

Threads: 4
I usually go to see what my dog wants, or have him sit with me, other than that, the barking doesn't happen. The funny thing is, my dog doesn't bark a lot of times, but when it does happen, I am always given clues as to whats wrong. For example if my dog is waiting by the door I know it's time to let my dog out, or, if my dog is alone barking I know attention is needed. I think the subtle hints is what get's me through the barking.
07-28-2012, 03:46 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
I have never tried it myself but my dog trainer friend told me how to teach a Dobermann not to bark. He said to tie up its muzzle with a soft cloth in the evenings because that's when they are likely to bark. Not for too long. Just about an hour each time. The Dobermann would soon learn to be quiet. Having a Dobermann which doesn't bark can be asset because Dobermanns are bred to be personal bodyguard dogs.
07-28-2012, 03:09 PM,
jester23 Offline

Threads: 4
One thing with my dog is and the barking has to do with the volume. I can hear it clear as day! I sometimes can hear it if I am in another part of the house as well. To me, I would want my dog to come to me if it needed something rather than barking. It would save me some trouble trying to understand if there was a problem or not.
07-29-2012, 03:57 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

I had this problem when my puppy was younger. I had tried everything from yelling at her, spraying her in the face with a water bottle, ignoring her, using the high pitch tone machine that is supposed to be annoying for their ears, etc. Nothing seemed to work. I always thought that the shock collar was too mean, but I just didn't know what else to do so I gave in and bought the shock collar. It worked SOOOO great! When I put it on her and gave her a few shocks the first time she didn't make a peep for the rest of the week. There are times though when barking is necessary, when strangers are here, etc. She does great with knowing the difference. We do not yell at her if she is letting us know that someone is here. Now that she has learned that if she barks for no reason she will get a shock, all we have to do is use the "tone" button which warns her that she better cut it out or she will be shocked. It really works great!
07-30-2012, 04:04 AM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
Thankfully, I live in the country so whenever my dog is after birds, deer or coyotes their aren't many neighbors around to here his 5 minutes of endless barking. If you want to stop the barking, I think the best thing would to first find out what the dog is barking at. Squirrels, neighbors, cats, other dogs. I think the best thing would be to get the dog away from whatever he is barking at (you could bring him inside or chase away the squirrel or cat).
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-31-2012, 09:47 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
Find out why they are barking, are they in discomfort? are they trying to alert you of something important? if they're sleeping outside, maybe they're rather be in the house with you instead or there are other small animals running around that they're barking at. We kept all 3 of our dogs in our house, and never really had a problem with them barking at night at all. They had dog beds in our bedroom and slept like logs. Well, our beagle did snore quite loud though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,397 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,935 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,604 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee