LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your Dog a Picky Pooper?
04-03-2015, 04:37 AM,
BobCat Offline

Threads: 5
Is your Dog a Picky Pooper?
Well, apparently this can be a problem for some pet owners and this topic made the news at the Wired Website. I actually found the article quite interesting and amazed at the research completed on this subject. One thing that did not surprise me, is that sometimes dogs are only taken outside to do their business. They take their sweet time to extend their outdoor time, but there are so many other factors involved that I would have never thought about. Researchers even suggest, our earth's magnetic forces have an impact on dogs habits in this area.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2015, 01:01 PM,
jeskalillis Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Is your Dog a Picky Pooper?
My mother in law's dogs are picky where they poop. We only take them out twice a day to do their "business" since they are aggressive towards other dogs. As long as there are no other dogs out we try to take out time so they can enjoy being out. But yes they are choosy when it comes down to going poop. I feel the pit bull is more so than the min pin. I don't know about it having anything to do with the Earth's magnetic pull. I feel that they are looking for an area where another dog has gone, so they could put their smell there instead. Like when they mark their territory with urine. I don't know that is my theory at least.
05-15-2015, 09:39 PM,
Bloomsie Offline

Threads: 23
I would often take my dog out for a walk in hopes that he conducts his "business" but he NEVER does. Reason being is because he was completely picky and needed to make sure that he was marking comfortable places as his territory. I noticed after a few walks that he ONLY likes to poop when there's no grass. He loves dirt because that's exactly how our backyard is (because we're currently in a drought - California) and it's what he knows. So instead of walking him around the neighborhood, we would go to the cliffs near the beach where it's all dirt and he'd do his "business" everywhere! It's more than where other dogs have gone-- it's about what they know to be "right" because of how they live at home.
06-25-2015, 11:12 PM,
Connie Offline

Threads: 2
Luckily the dog I walk on an almost daily basis (I also dog sit for him) is not a 'picky pooper' and will go anywhere except on the footpath. He has to have a verge to go on which is lucky for us that we live rurally and a verge is not a problem. He is rescue dog and I think he must have always go on grass in the rescue home (or his previous home) because he will only ever do his no 2 off the footpath (in this case a proper countryside footpath) which is nice really.
07-01-2015, 10:08 AM,
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
My boy can be a little bit of a 'picky pooper', but in general he's very good. He goes both outside during walks and in the litter box indoors (yes, a little trained dog!) when he needs to go but can't get out on a walk for whatever reason. The only time we really have issues is when there are unfamiliar people looking after him for any period of time. If we go away for a few days and leave him with a pet sitter, we've been told by multiple sitters that he has refused to do his business. Same when we have left him at kennels; he just doesn't like pooping when people he doesn't know are around for some reason. As long as myself, one of my parents, or another person he recognizes as family is around him though, he is generally fine.

When he uses the litter box, though, sometimes he makes the cat not want to use it. She wants her own place, but the dog will only use the litter box if it is the same one that the cat uses! We tried setting up a different one for him but he always switches back to the cat's, even if the cat gets fed up and uses the clean one. It is a little frustrating, but the cat seems to be putting up with it now.
11-21-2015, 10:16 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

Threads: 1
I giggled when I read the thread's title. I had no idea that's how you call the behaviour!
My dog definitely is one. Before he does the deed, he wonders around, sniffing grass and just thinking.
I've heard about the research paper before, but it's hard for me to believe that dogs are truly pooping in order with Earth's magnetic field. More research is needed - though I sure wouldn't want to be one responsible for it! Big Grin
02-01-2016, 06:20 AM,
thash1979 Offline

This is so true since the snow has been on the ground this year. He will not even attempt to poop in anything that is snow covered. If you can only imagine what I look like scooping a huge radius out from our yard just to have this horse do his business. The same goes for the rain. He will not even attempt to go off the porch to poop in the rain. This dog will hold it until he is going to explode. I ended up taking an umbrella out with me and walking around with him just so he would do his business.
02-01-2016, 11:31 PM,
mett1982 Offline

My Alaskan Malamute drives me crazy sometimes on how picky she is when it comes to doing her business. During the summer months, it's not such a terrible things because it's nice out and I don't mind the waiting. But during the winter months it can be annoying! Living in Central New York our winters are so cold and when I have to wait up to an hour for her to poop is the worse. She obviously has to go to the bathroom but walks around stiffing every little things and I'm over here frozen like a popsicle! If I get her moving she tends to go to the bathroom quicker. So when she is taking a while I will chase her around the yard. She thinks I'm playing but I have other motives. My German Shepard on the other hand, goes right outside and within 2mins he is doing what he has to do. But I love them!
05-13-2016, 08:35 AM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
This is my problem with Barbie, our youngest and only female dog who is turning 4 next month. She wouldn't release her poop even up to 3 days. The side effect is her lack of appetite in the morning and she frequently skips breakfast. What we have been doing for the past year is to use a suppository bullet that we insert in her rectum. That never fails to do the trick. In just seconds, Barbie would be running outside the house to move her bowels. I had already consulted our 2 vets on the matter but they have no other recommendation except the suppository.
05-15-2016, 06:28 AM,
heavymetalkilos Offline

In a way, yes. My dog isn't able to do her business if someone is looking at her. I have to literally turn around and find a tree to stare at, otherways she won't do what she's supposed to. It's not that big of a problem but it can be a bad thing if we're on a street where a lot of people are walking along to. My dog is really careful around other people so it just makes her pooping even more harder. I bet it's just because she is shy so I'm not sure should I take her to see a doctor therapist or something, haha!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,849 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,696 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,145 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,321 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,487 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,740 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,581 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady