Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let the dogs to clean the plates
04-15-2012, 11:05 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Let the dogs to clean the plates
Would you let your dogs to clean the plates?
Once I was invited for lunch at a friend's house, she let her dogs to lick the plates clean after the meal. What is your opinion on this?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2012, 01:27 PM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Let the dogs to clean the plates
Some people never mind their dog linking the plates.On the contrary,they enjoy the process of it.One reason is that they think their pet dogs are clever doing some housework for them.Another reason is that they treat their pet dogs as a member of their family and also good friends.So when they see their pet dogs "share food" with them, they feel happy and friendly.Especially,for those lonely old people,who like their pet dogs licking the plates clean.
However,other people will mind their dog pets doing that,though they like dogs very much.They don't like the saliva.In addition,some of them are sensitive to animals' saliva.For me, i don't like my pet dogs licking the plates.i'm not used to this case.But i like washing pet dogs,"take a shower for them",which is so funny.Unfortunately,my pet dog is "wander all over the world",it won't give me the chance to wash it.
Find all posts by this user
04-16-2012, 12:01 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
I know a lot of people treat their dogs like babies. Personally I felt it is disgusting. Not sure about the others. The people who let their dogs to lick their own plates definitely feel perfectly fine with it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 06:44 PM,
Sandra Piddock Offline

Threads: 0
I really don't like to see that. We have a friend who feeds his dog from his fork at the table. It's gross, and it puts me off my own food. On top of that, the dog is a complete nuisance when anyone is eating because she expects to be fed from the table. When our Border Collie was alive, we never fed him from the table or let him lick our plates. If there were leftovers that were suitable for him to have, we used to scrape them in his dish when we'd finished our meal.
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM,
Jessi Offline

Threads: 3
Ew, no way.

I do let my dog have human food because I make his own using real ingredients instead of buy pre-made stuff from the store. That doesn't mean I want his tongue on my plate, though. Even if I know I'm getting ready to wash it, I think that crosses the line of etiquette and shouldn't be done.
01-18-2014, 07:12 PM,
MformantSecor Offline

Threads: 2
This is completely unacceptable. Feeding dogs human food is never a good thing and should be kept to an absolute minimum, as most foods cause many issues with dogs' digestive tracts. Only foods that are approved for animal consumption, (i.e. dog food and treats), should be given to dogs. There are very few human foods that can be given to dogs, and even then they must be A) properly cooked B) in moderation, and C) free of all seeds, stems, and other potential hazards.

The only time I would condone giving dogs people food is when trying to administer medicine, and even then discretion is greatly advised. Here is a link to a website that gives a good list of foods that should not be given to dogs and the reasons why, along with some foods that might be safe and how to properly prepare them for your pets: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-...-never-eat

Now, as to the act itself, I find that rather disgusting on top of irresponsible. Dogs are not disposals and it is unfair to put their health at risk to use them as such, and it's offensive/repulsive to guests to watch your animals eat their leftovers. So, no. I absolutely would not let my dogs lick my plates clean. For health, modesty/etiquette, and sanitary reasons.
07-06-2014, 01:57 PM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
I don't think there is anything wrong with your dog licking the plates, as long as they are throughly washed afterward, preferably in a good dishwasher. Hey my animals are my "kids"
07-24-2014, 02:28 PM,
Francy Offline

Threads: 8
I think to each their own. I however do not allow my dogs to do that simply because they do not get table scraps or people food and I don't want them to learn bad manners. Everyone is different though, so if you're okay with it then why not. I just personally wouldn't allow it.
07-26-2014, 02:31 AM,
forextraspecialstuff Offline

Threads: 0
I am not a fan of it, but admit that sometimes we do let her lick our plates. She sits by the table so well behaved and then looks up as we finish that it makes it hard to say no to her, but when I really think about it even though the plates are washed after I do wonder how hygienic it is and to be honest I would never ever let the dog lick the plates when we have company. Recently, we went cold turkey and stopped letting her lick the plates. The dog has been putting some weight on recently so we're trying to come up with a relatively painless way for her to lose the extra few pounds and no more plate licking is one of the steps we're putting into action. Additionally, I worry about all of the sodium she could be licking off of our plates. So far the dog isn't a fan of this plan, but I figure she'll get used to it after a week or two.
08-03-2014, 12:40 AM,
MichiganMom Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Personally, I find it repellent when people let dogs lick the plates humans eat off of. I am allergic to dogs, so it is especially bad for me. I know that the plates get washed, and so theoretically all traces of the dog saliva which is in allergen irritant should be gone but it still rankles me. I also think it is bad for the dog. Letting the dog lick a human plate of food exposes them to many types of foods they cannot digest such as garlic, which is in many sauces. Plate licking also encourages the dog to have a seat at the table, so to speak, which encourages begging. Nothing is quite so unpleasant in a meal as having a dog stare at you, waiting for the plate to drop to the floor for their meal time. I find the practice so poor, that if I visit your home and your dog eats off the plate I will actually bring my own dishes and silverware the next time I eat at your house. It's actually caused some problems with my parents who frequently let the dog sit at the table and lick their plates. Ultimately it's your decision, but if you consider your dog part of the family I consider plate licking bad parenting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,396 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,934 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,604 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee