LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse Flavored Cat Food
03-03-2013, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013, 02:08 AM by Yatte.)
Yatte Offline

Threads: 8
Mouse Flavored Cat Food
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFytpRjokKQuMP6Y-JB_A...eYjx4YV3nM]

By studying my cats I found that their favorite food is mice.

Why could they not make mouse flavored cat food? I would definitely buy it.

Mouse flavored cat food would be an economical and even profitable way to eradicate mouse plagues. But I guess some people will scream animal abuse just by hearing the idea.

Would you buy mouse flavored cat food, and what flavor would you suggest for dogs?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVs8UN80Fh7Pwymj8RzQz...jLiOprXTeE]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 10:28 AM,
suzjbibby Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Mouse Flavored Cat Food
I don't see why animal abuse would come into it, animals of all sorts go into pet food even horses and goats not just lamb chicken beef and fish. I don't think it would particularly impact plages if it were to be considered as a source of food then the mice would mostly come from breeders. I know mice are a tasty treat for many captive reptiles especially snakes. As far as dogs go I can't think of a new flavour that would appeal to dogs more than what flavours they already have in their range
03-17-2013, 08:02 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
I always thought the reason why cats are fond of catching mice has less to do with the taste than the fact that mice scuttle and jump. Cats love to play with their prey, and playing with a mouse can be very entertaining for a cat.

Unless of course you have caught the mice yourself and served them up as cat food, how do you know your cat prefers the taste of mouse?

I have often wondered why cat food containing fish is so popular. Cats generally avoid water, so how did they get a taste for fish?

I guess that's why we love cats so much, they continue to amuse us and surprise us with their likes and dislikes.
03-19-2013, 12:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 12:46 AM by jenb128.)
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
There's a colony of "feral" cats at the wildlife center where I volunteer. (I put feral in quotes because several of them will interact with people, unlike most ferals, and we trap, neuter, and release as many as we can). Anyway, we put out food for the cats every day, but they friendlier cats will stalk us and beg for mice (we feed mice and rats to the raptors). We also can't set the tray down anywhere outside of the cages, or else the cats will steal the mice. One even stole a whole rat from me once!

I'd buy mouse flavored cat food without hesitation. I'm guessing they don't make it because it would probably be more expensive, since you don't get much meat from a mouse.
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
I'm not sure I'd buy it for my cats. We have cats at home but they may play with mice but they never eat them. Since I was a kid the cats at home would kill mice but they would leave them out where they found them. They would ony eat the food from their pet dishes. Now that I have my own house the cats pretty much do the same thing, they'd kill the mice but they won't eat them.
05-05-2013, 11:54 PM,
sakee Offline

I have always wondered if cats actually eat mice. It seems they catch them for the sport of it and to show off to their humans. I've never seen a cat eat one, but I suppose they must since they are not vegetarians. Well, I would buy it once in a while as a treat if I had a cat and he seemed to like it. I don't see the issue with feeding carnivores meat.
05-08-2013, 02:04 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Mice would be one of the natural food for wild cats. As a carnivore, cats would eat any small animals they can catch. Do not forget that one of the major reasons for having domesticated cats is for getting rid of the mice in the house. I am sure some cats today are so well fed and they would refuse to eat a mouse, but some of them still do as a snack. Of course, there are also some lazy cats won't even go catch a mouse. I see too many fat cats these days. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-28-2013, 03:23 PM,
cmdr-apollo Offline

Threads: 2
I wonder if a cat would know the difference between regular cat food flavors and mouse flavors. I doubt they would, because like someone said, cats care more about mice because of the behavior rather than the flavor. Of course they like meat, but do they know the difference between rat meat and any other meat? Even with fish flavored food, I doubt most cats understand what the fish flavor is - I think it's more for pet guardians. I once saw peanut butter and jelly flavored treats and "gourmet" macaroni and cheese flavored treats! These are definitely for marketing to owners rather than actually being something that a cat craves specifically.
06-10-2016, 05:10 AM,
CatCuddler57 Offline

You need to go pitch the idea to a company, it would be better than all the dead horses they used to feed dogs. I used to let my cats out so they would hunt on their own but I bet indoor house cats would love a little taste of Mickey Mouse. You could have a whole line of mice and salmon, mice on rice, squeaky meats, rats and giblets, rat filet, and mouse pate.

On that same note, we could do the same with pigeons and other animals that spread diseases. Between the two we could control animals that can grow to such extreme numbers without causing them to go extinct. I think it's a great idea.
06-11-2016, 07:29 AM,
Novelangel Offline

Threads: 4
It always amazes me when I see the aftermath of what had to be a cat's hunt. Usually, if the prey is a bird, there will be a hunk of wing and tail feathers left and nothing else. This means that the cat has eaten the meat, the blood, the head, (including the beak) feet, bones, internal organs and even most of the feathers. What a digestive system cats must have, considering that they seldom chew and don't really have teeth equipped for that anyway. In the case of a mouse as prey, usually all that's left is a little puff of gray fur and that's about it. You won't even see a drop of blood. It's almost as if the cat licks the spot clean after dining. Nice that there's an animal who cleans up after itself so thoroughly. Now, let's talk about that 'mouse flavored' cat food. First of all, how do we know what mouse tastes like if the food is only FLAVORED like a mouse? We would have to process actual mouse meat, (might as well toss in the bones, and everything else as well) in order for it to be genuinely mouse flavored. I think my cat would be just as happy with peanut butter flavored cat food, that is, if I could persuade her to eat canned cat food in the first place. I'm pretty sure she considers that glop as suitable only for dogs. Okay, now I've grossed myself out completely... and I just ate too. Tongue
10-16-2019, 09:57 PM,
Matt Robinson Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Mouse Flavored Cat food idea is good. I have my own pet food store in Dubai. We are supplying healthy delicious cat food. People used to demand it for their cats. I am wishing we can fulfil it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I made friends with a wild field mouse wattophotos 0 359 06-25-2022, 11:43 PM
Last Post: wattophotos
  I think my cat would like a Miniture Dachsund to play with Butterbelly's Buddy 5 3,115 08-09-2019, 05:06 AM
Last Post: douglasboutte
  Does bearded dragon usually end well with a cat? Ram 2 2,495 06-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Does your dog or cat talk to you ? Happyflowerlady 20 6,473 05-27-2016, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Food availability for exotic pets Corzhens 1 1,413 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  Veterinarian kills cat with bow and arrow ! Happyflowerlady 6 3,017 05-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Last Post: kfander
  My cat caught a bat letpet 15 6,461 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Last Post: mariann
  Raw Food Diet For Pets Persephone 5 4,285 08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
  Buying Pet Food Online, ever done that ?? Happyflowerlady 4 3,102 06-15-2014, 06:42 AM
  Pet food quantity - large package or small package? Ram 18 7,071 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Last Post: nomibucha
  Herbie the Cat: Killed 2-1/2 Hours from Being Saved MythsDreams 3 3,431 12-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Last Post: MythsDreams
  The ugly reality of commercial pet food Happyflowerlady 6 4,279 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Last Post: pftsusan
  Is pet food safe for humans? Ram 29 12,418 09-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Last Post: ohiotom76
  Do you worry about pet food recalls? sasha32 7 3,258 08-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Last Post: TreeClimber
  Freedom, or free food, shelter, medicare Ram 4 3,053 06-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Rube