Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only 3 types of dogs need sweaters or coats
01-09-2014, 02:41 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Only 3 types of dogs need sweaters or coats
Coats and sweaters for dogs have become quite popular, especially during the winter season.

It seems in many cases they are not really necessary. Only the dogs who have a more difficult time generating and retaining enough body heat on their own might need them.

According to Dr. Marty Becker, only 3 types of dogs could use some coats and sweaters in the winter.

1. Small dogs
2. Elderly dogs
3. Sick dogs

Click here to see the full article.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2014, 02:46 AM,
BirdPoo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Only 3 types of dogs need sweaters or coats
I would agree with the fact that those 3 types of dogs definitely might need a little help retaining their body core temperatures. I would however respectfully disagree that those are not the ONLY ones who would need a little help.

I think if people would employ more common sense with their pets we would see far fewer weather related injuries in veterinary clinics. If you are cold outside it is not necessarily true that your dog will be cold also BUT we must consider the feet which are bare on the bottom and can become frostbitten very quickly. This is also true in regards to the ears.

Our tiny, sick and elderly fur babies definitely need special attention in extreme weather conditions. Don't assume that just because our babies do not fall into those categories that they don't need the extra attention as well.

Better safe than sorry. Today's weather forecast in My City, Indiana is 28 today and 6 overnight with a few more inches of snow. I tell you this as I gaze at my German Shepherd snoozing lazily in front of my wood burning stove, sporting her awesome little sweater that keeps her toasty warm! I'm totally jealous!
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2014, 03:29 AM,
Roseary Offline

Very interesting point! What about those dog breeds that have almost no fur though? I do not really know the name of them, but I have seen them on the dog show and around town from time to time. I imagine they might get fairly cold, at least during the winter. I used to have a tiny dog that would get cold during the winter here in Arizona. I was actually a little surprised at first since Arizona weather is usually fairly warm, even during the winter. My mom bought her a cute sweater though and it seemed to make her a lot warmer. I usually find it strange when people dress up their dogs, but I guess sometimes it really is needed. I am just glad I live in a warmer state so I do not have to worry that much about the cold weather, for me it is more about keeping my dogs cooled off.
01-29-2014, 11:39 AM,
Ricardo187 Offline

This is interesting, especially because I own a small dog. Until yesterday I wouldn't bother the poor dog with sweaters and other type of clothing but we brought it to the "hair cutter" and she left less than 1 centimeter of "hair" which makes me believe he'll suffer from the winter cold you can feel as soon as you put a foot outdoors. We have temperatures around -5 and 5 degrees at this time which I consider cold for everyone, especially a small dog like my yorkshire.
02-01-2014, 10:06 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

(01-29-2014, 11:39 AM)Ricardo187 Wrote: This is interesting, especially because I own a small dog. Until yesterday I wouldn't bother the poor dog with sweaters and other type of clothing but we brought it to the "hair cutter" and she left less than 1 centimeter of "hair" which makes me believe he'll suffer from the winter cold you can feel as soon as you put a foot outdoors. We have temperatures around -5 and 5 degrees at this time which I consider cold for everyone, especially a small dog like my yorkshire.

A little sweetie like a Yorkshire Terrier would definitely need a little help in the temperatures that you described. I would say that your little baby needed a sweater/coat even before the haircut.

It isn't a bother to dog when you help to keep it warm. Who really want's their pet to be cold, shiver..yadda...yadda?

It was a good idea to clothe your Yorkie. Be sure to watch his ears, nose, feet and toes. They are susceptible to frostbite. In the zero to sub zero temps that you are experiencing, do not leave your pet outside for more that a few minutes at a time. I am sure your little Yorkie thanks you for helping him stay nice and toastySmile
02-23-2014, 06:50 PM,
Lois5669 Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
That's interesting and I agree with the fact that those 3 types could need coats. However, I think the dog will pretty much tell you if it needs some extra warmth. My little Yorkie doesn't need a coat in sub freezing temps, according to her. lol She hates wearing clothes.

Need is subjective to exactly how far below freezing is it, how much hair/fur does the pup have, and how long are you keeping the pup outside?

If I had a Yorkie in Alaska, I'd never let her out without a coat in the winter. Down here in Alabama...that's a different story. Smile
02-24-2014, 04:43 PM,
dodgenose Offline

I rarely see dogs in coats in here in our place in Florida which definitely recognizable for small breeds and sick dogs needing for extra warm. My dodge loves water so he needs a doggie vest instead.
02-25-2014, 11:19 AM,
The Aspertarian Offline

Threads: 2
That may be a good general rule of thumb - my chihuahua loves his sweater.
But I had a blue heeler who was just cold natured. She was very healthy, but she did not like the cold.

I think a lot of it depends on the dog. Some dogs don't mind being cold while others don't like it one bit.
07-10-2014, 04:09 AM,
steeleda Offline

Threads: 0
I have a mini pin and they only have one layer of fur which makes it difficult for them to retain their body heat especially during the colder months. He is always under blankets trying to keep warm. Last winter it was so cold in Indiana that we made him put on a sweater and make him a fleece coat to go on top of it and make him fleece boots with denim on the bottom to help protect his feet. It was so cold that he got bundled up to go outside to pee for a minute and then come back in. If he didn't have all of that then he would not have been able to go outside at all. I think it is important to think of dogs as more than just pets or animals. Some of them are not able to tolerate the cold as well as others. They have the same biological functions as humans and are just a susceptible to hypothermia. I definitely think that if your dog can't handle the cold then they should have a sweater or coat to help them out.
07-10-2014, 05:39 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I think that the three mentioned types of dogs are a good start of dogs that should always have a coat on in the cold weather. Sometimes, they will need one even in the house. Sometimes, not. it depends on the heat inside of the house, and also on each dog.
As far as whether they should have a dog coat on outside, I think that also depends on each dog, the breed, how cold the weather is, and how long the dog is going to be outside. I think that most dogs with a short coat would benefit from a dog jacket/sweater if it is very cold outside, and they are going to be out there for very long, and especially if they are just going to be sitting or standing someplace, rather than walking or running with you.
Even many horses are blanketed in the winter when they are turned out into the paddock for the day. I have seen horses huddled together and under the shelter of a tree because it was cold outside and they were shivering and very cold. Most of them do not enjoy having a horse blanket put on them, but once they have it buckled on, it keeps them a lot warmer.
07-26-2014, 09:05 AM,
Devichan Offline

I live in Minnesota and we have cold winters. A lot of people here do have booties for their dogs for wintertime walks. When the temperature last winter got to -45 with the wind chill, a lot of people just cleared out areas in their back yards and the dogs were happy to run out and run right back in. Honestly, it's safer that way. Even huskies and malamutes don't much care for that kind of weather, and frostbite is a real risk.

It's worth mentioning that even sled dogs wear foot protection in the areas where they're used for work and sport. Mushers take their dogs' foot health seriously. If they do that for dogs who are used to rough trails and rough temperatures, it's very worth looking after the feet and ears of our housepets who just aren't used to extreme conditions. I know that when we get a dog, I'll be wearing boots for our winter walks - and so will he or she!
07-27-2014, 02:33 AM,
Mimzy Offline

Threads: 0
We have four (!) dogs -- two Toy Fox Terriers and two Chihuahuas -- and because of the climate we live in gets rather chilly, we have to keep the temperature in our house at least 69 all year. I wish any of our dogs liked wearing a sweater because I'm tired of the letters from the energy company, asking us to lower our temp by ten degrees during the workday.

For now, we just keep a lot of blankets around for them to dig into when it's especially chilly and use indoor potty training when it's freezing outside.
08-02-2014, 06:52 AM,
astockd1 Offline

Threads: 2
We recently got a little Min Pin/Chihuahua, they said she was about 14 pounds. We also recently moved to Kansas, which can have really cold winters. We're from Florida and have hardly experienced snow, so I didn't really think about a jacket for the dog. She seems to get cold even when we have the house at 77 degrees, so this is a good reminder. My sister has a Maltese and she likes to dress him in pink clothes all the time. He even has a ponytail with a pink hair tie. He likes walking around in snow, though. The only time the little princess will actually pee in the grass is when it's covered in snow... he's also got really long hair, so I guess that acts as his jacket. Our dog has short hair, maybe we'll get her one once summer is over.
08-02-2014, 10:23 PM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
I have a little yorkie/shitzu mix and she hates sweaters in the winter and always manages to get them off. My daughter has a rat terrier and he loves his winter time sweaters and wears on 24/7 in the winter time. Without it, he is even cold in the house and shivers. My little dog does like to sleep under the covers when it is cold out. Now my other daughter had a medium size dog that she was always trying to put little doggie dresses, booties, ect on. That dog would actually chew them off, she just plain did not want clothing on!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,396 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 5,925 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 4,934 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Can dogs live on cat food? Ram 20 10,604 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee