LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overprotective dog issues
07-25-2013, 08:22 AM,
hollyleann Offline

Threads: 2
Overprotective dog issues
I have recently noticed a change in my young male dogs attitude towards some other dogs and strangers whilst walking.
The only thing I can associate with his sudden change in behavior is that I am now expecting a baby.
He is a wonderful dog and friendly to all people and other dogs the majority of the time, only occasionally he seems to get a little overprotective of me and I am not sure how I can reassure him that everything is ok?

Is there anybody else who has had a similar problem and is it because he can sense I am maybe more vulnerable now than before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2013, 09:07 AM,
Death2Housework Offline

RE: Overprotective dog issues
First, is your dog neutered? A growing male puppy eventually hits adulthood and that's when the Alpha starts kicking in. If he isn't, I would suggest it. If he is, then maybe you are giving off vulnerability vibes and he feels he needs to protect you. For what ever reason, that seems to be an issue you will want to work on. I'd suggest a calm low voice. Don't tense up in preparation for an incident, stay as calm as if you know there won't be one. Don't let the dog out in front to greet anyone first. He should be at your side not leading the way. Make sure you really watch for any sign of escalation and a short sharp tug on the leash as a correction at the first sign. Snap him out of it and get his attention on you. If he likes treats, maybe have one in hand, just to waft past his nose to keep him focused on something besides the big bad intruder. Good luck!
07-26-2013, 12:03 AM,
hollyleann Offline

Thanks Death2Housework for your reply.
I have tried many times to snap him out of it and stay calm but I know sometimes I find that hard to do as it can be embarrassing because he is a large breed dog and other people become scared.

I will definitely keep working on it and try the treat idea; hopefully we will find a balance soon Smile
He is such a loving, sweet and friendly dog that I believe it is all just for show and I hate to think that people think he is a bad dog because it is just not the case.
08-17-2013, 02:07 PM,
bluekittymama Offline

Threads: 3
(07-25-2013, 09:07 AM)Death2Housework Wrote: First, is your dog neutered? A growing male puppy eventually hits adulthood and that's when the Alpha starts kicking in. If he isn't, I would suggest it. If he is, then maybe you are giving off vulnerability vibes and he feels he needs to protect you. For what ever reason, that seems to be an issue you will want to work on. I'd suggest a calm low voice. Don't tense up in preparation for an incident, stay as calm as if you know there won't be one. Don't let the dog out in front to greet anyone first. He should be at your side not leading the way. Make sure you really watch for any sign of escalation and a short sharp tug on the leash as a correction at the first sign. Snap him out of it and get his attention on you. If he likes treats, maybe have one in hand, just to waft past his nose to keep him focused on something besides the big bad intruder. Good luck!

I agree with everything said - especially the neutering! I would also add don't reassure the dog when he acting overprotective. No petting and baby talking as though you are rewarding him; he could take it as encouragement. It can also encourage his Alpha mentality. If these suggestions don't help check out dog training classes. Over-protectiveness is something you would want to get under control before the baby is born. Good luck!
08-20-2013, 03:57 PM,
nonsiccus Offline

Threads: 0
As the other posters have mentioned, fixing your dog if you haven't already is a solution that you definitely want to look at. It will definitely make your dog less aggressive by way of removing testosterone from his system. Once neutered, a dog's aggressive tendencies will diminish quite a bit and he will hopefully be less problematic around strangers.

That being said, dogs will often take cues from their owners. The way that you carry yourself when you're around other people can speak volumes to a dog. If you look apprehensive, or withdrawn while speaking to a stranger the dog could misinterpret it as the stranger causing you to be uncomfortable. (Whether or not this is the case is up to you, but it might be what the dog sees.) The dog would then protect you as a member of its pack by essentially telling the stranger to "back off".

Check your dog, but also check that your posturing and attitude isn't being reflected by your dog.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,847 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,696 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,145 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,321 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,487 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,740 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,581 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady