LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should I expect/prepare for if my dog becomes pregnant?
03-16-2013, 11:26 PM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
What should I expect/prepare for if my dog becomes pregnant?
To be honest I've never experienced a birthing since all my dogs have been male. I now have a female chow and my friends keep telling me I should allow her to have puppies because if I don't she'll have health issues later in life.

My concern is I have no idea what to expect or prepare. Can anyone share their tips and experiences when it comes to dog pregnancy and delivery?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2013, 02:03 PM,
suzjbibby Offline

Threads: 4
RE: What should I expect/prepare for if my dog becomes pregnant?
I've never had a chow but my experience is that the mumma dog has morning sickness early on, she may just go off her food for a bit or she may actually be sick a few times, later her appetite will increase then toward the end she will have small amounts more frequently and be very lethargic as her belly swells
She should make herself a nest for birthing as the time approches and should give birth without too much difficulty or assistance required. Depending on your dogs temperament she may like attention at this time or may prefer her privacy, just keep an eye on her without too much interference if you see a puppy not doing well then they may need to be stimulated to get breathing properly. Our girl just had a litter of 15 puppies 2 weeks ago, we only had to help one puppy, we just held him and rubbed his chest to get his lungs going and he was fine
As I said I have no experience with a chow, some breeds tend to be fantastic mothers and need very little help but others can be hopeless mothers who will ignore their puppies
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Well, first of all, dogs don't get health issues simply because they aren't allowed get pregnant. But, they can get behavioral issues related to mating seasons and hormonal imbalances.

Also, it is important to understand that if you do not plan to breed your Chow, it's simply best to have her spayed. It's a scientific fact that by spaying them before their first heat will have them live a healthier life.

So back to the tips on dog pregnancy. Let me see.

1. Vet Bills. Your Chow will require more vet visits due to her pregnancy. Also, once she's have them born, you also might want to invest on the expenses for their initial vaccinations. The vet might also require you special vitamins for your Chow's pregnancy.

2. Avoiding the Mess. Chows have thick fur. Expect that you won't be able to bathe her for the first couple of weeks so it's best that you have some of her fur cut short. Bringing her to a groomers might bring too much stress, so if you're able to do this on your own, then you might as well do so.

3. Whelping Box. You'll need to encourage your Chow to make use of a whelping box because dogs can give birth to their pups in places you don't want them to, especially areas that are closed, dark and difficult to reach (like under the bed, under the house and the likes).

4. Birthing Time. Dogs usually give birth during the early hours of the morning or the late hours of the evening.

5. Feeding. For the first day, your dog might be too busy to with her pups and too tired from her delivery, so you might want to bring the food and water bowl close to her but not inside the whelping box where the pups are.

6. Space. Although some dogs allow their owners to have their pups touched, others can grow overprotective. So be careful. If there's no need to touch her puppies on the first days, don't.
04-02-2013, 07:18 PM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
Thank you both for the advice and tips. I am worried though about separating her from her pups after a couple of months. Obviously I can't keep all the pups so I am thinking of giving a couple away. My worry is won't it affect my dog emotionally or psychologically? It seems cruel to let her have pups and then take them from her. I am probably humanizing my pet too much as my neighbor tells me but I do worry. Any thoughts?
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(04-02-2013, 07:18 PM)trishgl Wrote: Thank you both for the advice and tips. I am worried though about separating her from her pups after a couple of months. Obviously I can't keep all the pups so I am thinking of giving a couple away. My worry is won't it affect my dog emotionally or psychologically? It seems cruel to let her have pups and then take them from her. I am probably humanizing my pet too much as my neighbor tells me but I do worry. Any thoughts?

Yes, you are humanizing them a little too much. Dogs don't exactly work as a family. They do so in packs. This is why mother dogs do not discriminate babies of different mothers or species. If you do plan to give the puppies away, let them stay with their mom for at least 8 weeks as this is where pack socialization is taught by their mom. Also, this is when they learn of bite inhibition and other dog signals.

I do hope you'll have your dog spayed after this pregnancy. Finding homes for the first pups might not be a chore yet but it will become difficult eventually- especially since dogs experience going in heat two to three times a year. And no owner wants to lose their dog to the evil C. Spaying reduces their proneness to breast cancer by 50%.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 27,158 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,200 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,730 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,184 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,360 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,214 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,523 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,783 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,366 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,193 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,613 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,830 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,503 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,923 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,524 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady