LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which dog is right for me?
01-24-2014, 04:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014, 04:12 AM by DomDom.)
DomDom Offline

Threads: 3
Which dog is right for me?
I have been thinking about getting a dog for a very long time but I cant decide which breed would be right for me Smile. I have always loved winter type dogs like huskies,samoyeds or alaskan malamutes. They are very beautiful for me. Unfortunately I live in a region where it snows during the winter but the summers are VERY hot so I am afraid that the dog might suffer during the hot weather Sad. Also I was wondering how much exercise do dogs like this need? I probably wont have a big yard when I get one. I will have 1-2 hours of time to take it out and exercise it daily.I am also afraid that the dog might suffer in an apartment. How do they react when they live in smaller apartments?Other types of dog I really like are golden retrievers too. My uncle had one for a long time and it was one of the best dogs I ever played with. Seemed very nice and good natured. Also great with kids it seems to me. Which breed would you recommend for me ? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2014, 09:08 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Which dog is right for me?
After reading your post, I picked up on one very important statement that you made. You said you only had 1-2 hours to be able to exercise your future pet. This leads me to believe that the circumstances in which you will be bringing a dog into are far from ideal.

The breeds that you mention are "working" dogs. They need far more exercise and attention than you have to give right now. All dogs need fulfillment. You cannot fulfill the needs of these breeds or really any other.

Choosing a pet should be for life. People often get pets for themselves as opposed to getting pets to increase the quality of life in the animal that they are choosing.

You are working with several factors that are not conducive to responsible dog ownership. I do not mean to be harsh but at this time it seems that despite your best intentions and your love of dogs, you would not be the best dog daddy.

Apartment living is a nightmare when you have a small dog, let alone a large breed. At this time you are not able to invest the time in a future companion to allow this pet to thrive. I am not aware of any single breed of dog that will thrive (ever) in an environment that allows so little human interaction. The breed doesn't exist!

Without proper training, exercise and socialization with humans and other dogs you would have a recipe for disaster. I strongly encourage you to think before you take this leap. I am certain there will be a time when you would be in a better position to make a place in your life for a canine companion.

Dogs do not deserve to be bought and stashed away just because we want one. They deserve to have a forever home, playtime, human touch, gentle training, exercise and socialization.
01-25-2014, 02:20 AM,
Roseary Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Which dog is right for me?
If you are able to devote an hour or two for walking and exercise each day than I do not think apartment life is the worst thing in the world. The larger breeds probably will not be your best bet though, so if you were really hoping for one you may want to wait until you have a bigger place where the dog is able to roam free. Having a dog in an apartment you will need to consider several factors; will you have time to play with it each day? Not counting the 1 - 2 walking. What kind of dog are you hoping for? A loveable companion, guard dog, or more of just a room mate type of dog. There is so many breeds out there that I am sure you could find the right one for your living style and needs, just make sure to do proper research to pick up the right one. A good tool to start with is http://animal.discovery.com/breed-select...1.html?q=1 this. Basically it will ask you a series of questions narrowing down the results to find you a perfect match. Once you get to the end and find a breed that it says works well with you than I would go ahead and Google it and find out more information to see if this is exactly what you are looking for. Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,861 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,697 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,146 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,322 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,188 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,489 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,741 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,583 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,904 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,497 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady