Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you used Wireless dog fence?
03-24-2012, 08:05 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Have you used Wireless dog fence?
Have any of you dog owners used this so called Wireless Dog Fence ?
Do you think this is necessary?
I wonder if any other animals or naughty little kids can use it too.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM,
lhins Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Have you used Wireless dog fence?
I haven't used one, but I would trust a traditional fence more greatly and you could build a decent looking fence around your entire house for the price. But definitely could be used for naughty kids... that's an idea right there.
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2012, 01:25 AM,
bw Offline

Threads: 10
No, never did. I do not leave dogs outside unattended anyway.
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(04-05-2012, 01:25 AM)bw Wrote: No, never did. I do not leave dogs outside unattended anyway.

Not even inside closed fence?
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM,
tajnz Offline

No, I'd be terrified of using any sort of wireless fence and also prefer the look of a real fence. I know it's silly but I like having a barrier between my property and the street. Anyhow the reason I'm so against this product is that I saw a video on YouTube where a boyfriend tricks his girlfriend into walking out of the perimeter holding one of the wireless collars that's somehow linked to the invisible fence. The girlfriend seriously was walking normally and that has a little spasm and instantly hit the ground. It wasn't their property and was not a fake video. I had no idea that the shock that the collar gives off was so powerful as of course then one would think the product would be banned.

I think this product is inhumane even though it claims otherwise.
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Are you sure it's really that strong of a shock? Eek
The girl must be weak to fall onto the ground.

Could you find the video?
06-05-2012, 02:40 PM,
tajnz Offline

I managed to find it. It's actually worse than I remember. The girl actually screams and falls backwards. It looks even more painful when they replay the prank in slowmo. Eek When they ask her if it hurts she gets really mad. If it hurts a human that bad it's probably inhumane for animals. Unless this brand is just really strong?

Actually a shock is a shock. I would never use shock treatment on a dog.

I assume we're allowed to post youtube videos here? If not I'm sorry and I'll take it down.

06-05-2012, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Ok, great video, but I think the actual shock is not as bad as it seems. Girls are often overreacting. Big Grin

I had a girl who tricked me and many others into using a shocking pen. It was a big surprise and the shock was fairly "strong", but nobody overreacted like falling to the ground lol. One guy dropped the pen, and one other dude didn't even show anything physically but simply laughed.

Do you know the actual voltage of that device? Is it the same brand? Anything less than 36v should be totally harmless to a human.
06-06-2012, 11:27 AM,
Iconic Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I didn't even know one existed until now. I don't think I would use one on my dogs as we are in a built up area and everyone including me has fences.
06-25-2012, 04:19 AM,
Dani72 Offline

I hate to admit to this but I have one. I have two dogs, one is like Houdini, she can escape from anywhere. My property is fenced but she digs down below the fence and manages to squeeze through the smallest space. My other dog follows blindly, even to the extent of injuring himself trying to get through the same space as the smaller dog.

I have a large plot and cannot afford to re fence.

One day the dogs got out and went onto my neighbour's unfenced land and killed two of his Yorkshire terriers. He threatened to kill my dogs and my husband if it happened again. I belive they also killed a few cats on their trips out.

As a last resort, I bought an electronic fence and it has been a godsend. The Houdini dog needed only two shocks, before learning to stay put. The other dog who isn't very bright needed a couple more.

The shocks are not very strong, my husband tried it on his arm. I think they were more of a nasty surprise than anything else.

If the dogs had needed repeated shocks, I would have thought it cruel and stopped using the fence, but it did it's job, quickly and successfully. My dogs now stay in the garden and the neighbourhood pets are safe.
06-25-2012, 06:14 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

I don't think it is cruel since it bring no physical harm. A knock in the head with a finger would be more "harmful" than the weak electrical shock.

How long did it take you to train the dogs to get used to the invisible fence?

(06-25-2012, 04:19 AM)Dani72 Wrote: He threatened to kill my dogs and my husband if it happened again.

Now that is totally messed up. Threatening to kill someone is a serious offense. I hope he wasn't serious.
06-25-2012, 06:26 AM,
Dani72 Offline

It only took a couple of days. They got used to the fence far more quickly than I had expected.

The neighbour is a pretty nasty and intimidating character, with illusions of grandeur! However my dogs did kill his, so he had every right to be upset. Had he fenced his in, it may not of happened, but I had to take responsibility.

Where we live, people tend to be quite fearful of large dogs, which mine are. Apart from the cat killing, which was awful, I would have got into a lot of trouble for "Allowing" my dogs to run free, if anyone had reported me. The fence was really a last ditch attempt to get on top of the situation, so it's marvellous that it worked.
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(06-25-2012, 04:19 AM)Dani72 Wrote: I hate to admit to this but I have one. I have two dogs, one is like Houdini, she can escape from anywhere. My property is fenced but she digs down below the fence and manages to squeeze through the smallest space. My other dog follows blindly, even to the extent of injuring himself trying to get through the same space as the smaller dog.

I have a large plot and cannot afford to re fence.

One day the dogs got out and went onto my neighbour's unfenced land and killed two of his Yorkshire terriers. He threatened to kill my dogs and my husband if it happened again. I belive they also killed a few cats on their trips out.

As a last resort, I bought an electronic fence and it has been a godsend. The Houdini dog needed only two shocks, before learning to stay put. The other dog who isn't very bright needed a couple more.

The shocks are not very strong, my husband tried it on his arm. I think they were more of a nasty surprise than anything else.

If the dogs had needed repeated shocks, I would have thought it cruel and stopped using the fence, but it did it's job, quickly and successfully. My dogs now stay in the garden and the neighbourhood pets are safe.

I would be devastated if my dogs got killed by a bigger dog. I was just wondering, why would he threaten to kill your dogs and YOUR HUSBAND if it happened again?

I'm glad the shock collars worked for you.

Back to the topic...

Here, nothing beats good old solid walled fence (with chicken-wire buried at the bottom). But for instances that this isn't available, then the Wireless Dog Fence is a great way to keep our dogs in tab.

Although it doesn't keep the neighbor's dogs out, it can greatly help in making sure that escape artists (the ones who go Houdini) even in high fenced homes stay put.

One more thing I recall is instead of using a shock collar. Another collar has been invented to spray citronella rather than shock the dog.
06-25-2012, 06:24 PM,
Dani72 Offline

"I would be devastated if my dogs got killed by a bigger dog. I was just wondering, why would he threaten to kill your dogs and YOUR HUSBAND if it happened again?"

I think he was too much of a gentleman to threaten a lady!

I think with the citronella, you would need to activate it remotely as the dog was leaving the property. My dog was very good at sneaking out of sight which is why the electronic fence seemed to be my only option.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,862 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,697 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,146 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,322 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,188 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,489 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,741 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,583 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,904 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,497 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady