LoginRegister

Poll: How old was your longest living dog? (only vote if that dog has passed away)
Less than 10 years old.
10 years old.
11 years old.
12 years old.
13 years old.
14 years old.
15 years old.
16 years old.
17 years old.
18 years old.
19 years old.
20 years old.
Over 20 years old.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old was your longest living dog?
03-03-2012, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
What the title said. Big Grin

Vote in the poll please.
Please only vote if that dog has passed away.

Add a little background stories too on how your dog has passed away if you are willing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 05:03 AM,
bw Offline

Threads: 10
RE: (Poll) How old was your longest living dog?
I found a pup many years ago. She was tossed into a fenced in lot where I worked. She was scared of every thing, turns out with good cause. I will condense a very long story. After feeding her for two weeks I decided to take her home. First was a trip to the vet as I had cats at home and did not want to take any diseases home. She was malnourished and abused but the vet said basically healthy. The vet put her at 5 months. I had her for 16 years. She developed kidney cancer and due to her age and the advanced stage of the cancer we had her euthanized. She has been gone longer than I had her and I still miss her.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2012, 11:57 PM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
RE: How old was your longest living dog?
When i was nine years old,i kept a dog.At that time,she was only five years old.I still remembered she often followed behide me when i was on the way to school.She was my good friend and good company.But one day,she got missed.I tried to find her,but failed.I'm really sad about that.Now i still miss her,hoping that she is still alive.
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM,
lhins Offline

Threads: 2
My grandpa had an old cattle dog, I remember it was older than I was when it passed away. It was a great dog needless to say. He was so helpful rounding up cattle, knew every bit of the farm, and was a great gaurd dog.
03-07-2012, 02:16 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
Lady was our oldest lived dog. She belonged to my Grandpa, not to myself though. He had taken her in as nearly an adult dog in exchange for some work he did on a log table saw.

She's been gone now many years, but looking back through family pictures, she spans through 19 years worth so given her adult status when they took her in she had to be nearly 20 or perhaps moreso.

She was quite an undetermined breed. I'll have to pull out some photo albums to see if I can get a picture of a photo I may have of her here yet. She was always present so I'm sure I'll find a good one.
03-07-2012, 08:18 AM,
OriJas Offline

Threads: 3
I haven't had a lot of dogs in my life up until recently. At least not ones I owned and got to keep for long periods. My family were frequent movers and we lived in a lot of houses that wouldn't allow pets. My longest though, was technically my second dog, and she was with us for about 1.5 years. Kia (Red Heeler, can't remember what they're called in the US) was given to me for my 12th birthday after my parents divorced and she was 3 years old at the time. Up until Ori and Jasmine now, she was also the longest time I'd had a dog.

Sadly though, she was very protective of me, and had a habit of "nipping" those who she thought were a threat to me, and she was also very aggressive towards other dogs. She was an absolute sweetheart usually, just had a VERY off temper, and my mother and I really at the time, weren't that dog-smart. She's still lacking in that department, I'm afraid. But she was never really an animal person like me. The neighbors had their little Jack Russell mix in their front yard one day (still remember the date, weirdly) and in the public housing we lived in at the time, and the rural town, there were no fences in between front yards.

Kia bolted out of the door when my uncle was opening it and me already in the front yard grabbed her collar...successfully, my uncle decided he could handle her better, brushed my hand away and missed grabbing it so she took off. The 15-year-old thought it was a really smart idea to break them apart with her hands at their mouths, and she got bit from Kia. 10 minutes after, I was in the most hysterical state locked up in in the bathroom with Kia, hugging her to me knowing exactly what they were out there discussing. I refused to come out knowing that they were talking about having Kia put down, but I had to come out eventually, my mother was in tears on the front lawn as I emerged, told her that she's sorry, she has no choice, I think I remember throwing a stick at her and screaming before running back into the bathroom and locking the door once more.

When the council came to get her the next morning, I tried running after the truck, but my uncle restrained me until they got halfway down the street, and I still chased them as far as I could before breaking down. I don't think I've truly ever gotten over it, and I never spoke to our neighbors again after that...I hope that girl's a lot wiser when it comes to breaking up dog fights again.

Wow. I'm sorry, I just realized how much of an essay this was. Undecided
03-07-2012, 08:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247

That sucked they put down a dog because someone silly got bit trying to break up a dogs' fight with hands at their mouths. It is ridiculous.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2012, 01:27 AM,
bw Offline

Threads: 10
Yep, people can do the darndest things when it comes to pet "care"
05-30-2012, 02:39 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
wish i could reply...but my childhood dog, who is a black lab, is still healthy and alive today at 15 years old!!! needless to say, he is a black lab gone white Wink
06-06-2012, 01:05 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
My previous dog was a Lab. At 10, she developed cancer in her leg. I thought that would be it. The Veterinarian recommended that we have the leg amputated as the cancer was a slow moving form. I agreed. She recovered from the amputation very well.

She lived another 3 1/2 happy years as a three legged dog. 13 years is old for a 75 lb. dog.
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
I am honestly not sure if my first dog lasted for 15 years. Maybe it had been more. She was definitely a fighter. I regret not being there by her side when she passed away because I had to go to school in a different region.

I miss her so much. She was a great mom to her puppies and was very loving of us. She protected our home for 15 years. Last year, the last of her descendants had passed away because of Parvo. My mom isn't an advocate of having our dogs vaccinated because it was additional costs so the moment I was able to get a job, I had spent on their vaccinations to protect them from Parvo.
06-13-2012, 07:35 AM,
MusicInMotion67 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
The oldest and best dog I ever had was a Dachshund/Golden Retriever mix, Shorty was short with a long body but had the retriever look and temperament. Such a smart dog. He was three months old when I answered an ad in the paper of a dog being given a way, when I arrived he was excited and ran over to play but he would mouth you alot, well first place he bit me (not hard) was my boob....OMG how embarrassing, anyway, he was a mess, I knew right off the bat that he had that disease that makes them lose their hair in patches and it's contagious among dogs. Anyway, the lady said it was from the older dogs beating up on him, so I took him home for the kids, bathed him in a special shampoo for dogs and one of the first things that made me realize how smart he was was when he brought a stick into the house and I was in a bad mood, I looked at him and yelled at him to get that stick outside right now. lol he picks up the stick, pushes the screen door open, drops it at the bottom of the steps then sits and looks up at me. WOW, was I surprised!.

Shorty lived until the age of 14 when it seems like overnight he became deaf and blind all at the same time. He wouldn't eat, or drink, stayed close to the wall, and was losing a lot of weight so I had to take him down and have him put to sleep and yes I was right there with him petting him the whole time.
Unfortunately that same day that I had to put my favorite dog down, later in the evening, my husband committed suicide through overdose of RX pain meds and muscle relaxers, put him into a coma for three weeks until I finally had it in me to take him off life support. Yeah, that's a day I certainly won't forget and that was March 3, 2008.
06-15-2012, 05:34 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
My Shih Tzu was 16 years old and I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did. She was a sweet little girl and I wish I had her in my arms to this date.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your dog(s) here! Thor 56 26,848 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: candyvect
  Grooming your dog, do you do it yourself or not ? Happyflowerlady 4 3,169 01-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Annetti
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,696 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,145 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Dog Festival Corzhens 6 3,321 11-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Last Post: DeirdreThomson7gF
  Best Chew Proof Dog Bed? afsanaurmi 2 2,187 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Would you risk your life for your dog? remnant 7 4,487 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: NicholasWatson
  Soft diet for a sick dog Corzhens 4 2,740 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  Sending the dog back? remnant 4 4,332 09-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Tell me about your favorite dog, past or present bw 12 6,124 09-11-2020, 11:17 PM
Last Post: FaithMillsM2V
  Guard dog Corzhens 7 5,581 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: pooch495
  My dog does not go out of the stall today walkmansky 1 1,805 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thor
  How long before seperate puppy from mother dog Ram 7 7,456 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mayabili
  How I teach my dog patience joshposh 2 2,902 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,495 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady